• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dont know what to get...

lasvegasoffroad

imported post

I am going Friday after work to pick up a hand gun, but dont know what I want. Sorta torn between a Glock 23 or a SA XD9. A few things Im looking for..

1. Sub-compact size, plan on CCW eventually....

2. Magazine capcity thats atleast 13 rounds.

3.Dont like the trigger pull on a Glock though...

4.Safety on XD9 I like a lot...

Weak 9mm

imported post

I'd go with whatever one you shoot best with, unless there's some kind of restricting factor that makes that not an option.

As far as caliber goes, I like the 9mm as it is cheaper to shoot than the .40 or .45, has less recoil, generally has more magazine capacity and with good ammo is similarly effective.

R.Ph. 380

imported post

Have you even considered the Bersa 9mm UC. At around $300.00 you can maximize your value per dollar and one H### of a good little pistol. I carry mine about half the time and alternate with my 380 when I need more concealment. Don Hume IWB holster for the XD fits perfectly.:exclaim:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I hear you on the glock trigger. I like single-action (1911) when it comes to trigger pull, and a no-safety DA/SA for daily carry. Since you're looking to conceal, may I suggest you pay attention to the width of the firearm, as well as the length. It has been my experience that carrying a full-sized single-stack 1911inside the waistbandis more comfortable than carrying even a "compact" version of a staggered or double-stack handgun in the same manner. This is why my main carry is a full-sized, larger caliber handgun that stays on the belt, and I have a separate smaller caliber, single-stack handgun for concealed carry (a few, actually).

I guess my suggestion to you is consider having one sidearm dedicated to outside waistband belt carry, and one sidearm dedicated to concealed carry.

As far as the specific gun goes, the only way you can make a good final decision is to feel and shoot the weapon before you buy it. I know that's not always possible though. Like I mentioned before, I don't like "glock" actions, and it sounds like you don't either.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lasvegasoffroad wrote:
I am going Friday after work to pick up a hand gun, but dont know what I want. Sorta torn between a Glock 23 or a SA XD9. A few things Im looking for..

1. Sub-compact size, plan on CCW eventually....

2. Magazine capcity thats atleast 13 rounds.

3.Dont like the trigger pull on a Glock though...

4.Safety on XD9 I like a lot...
Sounds like you may have already mostly made up your mind. Simply an observation. They are both fine pistols IMO. Given those two choices I would prefer the XD because of backstrap angle and safety features.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Be aware that the XD is a WIDE handgun. As mentioned above, the wider the gun is, the tougher it is to CCW. XD9 Service for OC, and something like a Kahr K9 or P9 for CCW. You never really have enough guns. Theres always a different "perfect gun" for another hypothetical situation, er....at least that's the excuse my wife hears all the time!!!

OBXMIKE

imported post

If you like 1911 style pistols, the Springfield EMP (9mm) is the bee's knees for CC.

Ruger's new offering in 9mm feels nice too. I handled one of those last week in the gun shop. Can't remember the model name, but it felt REAL nice. And saying that about a Ruger pistol is.....rare.

Smith and Wesson's m&p has been getting some really good reviews, especially from those that don't like Glock triggers/grips.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

An XD 9mm would be a good choice. I think you'd get a slightly smaller profile if you looked at an M&P compact, though the 9mm compact only holds 10 rounds.

Also take a look at the SR9. It'stechnically a full-size, but it's slim enough you'd never know it was there. 17 rounds, striker-fired with external safety (Ruger's not gotten into the integral trigger safety stuff) and the MD is removeable without affecting function. With the right holster it'll disappear under an untucked shirt.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I've heard some good things about the SR9, although I haven't shot one. I can't imagine it's too bad though, and it seemed like the price was good too. It might not hurt to try this out.

"Guns and Ammo" claims to have fired 12,000 rounds without any kind of cleaning (Other than wiping the exterior from what they said) or maintenance and has not had a problem

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/ga_rugersr9_0801/

Here is their review of it as well:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/rugersr9_101707/

Ruger's not gotten into the integral trigger safety stuff
I'm not sure, because as I say I haven't fired one, I've just seen it through the glass, but the reviews I've seen say it has an external safety and an internal trigger safety.

I must say though, the arrogance of some of the reporters makes me never plan to subscribe to that magazine.

Mjolnir

imported post

Take a look at an XD's parts diagram, there's 91 parts in there compared to a Glock.
XDPARTSNOTFORSALE.jpg

exploded_diaagram.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well of course there are more parts. Just considering the grip safety alone there's automatically more parts to consider. I'm assuming you've presented that as an argument for Glocks, but I don't think it says much of anything.

cREbralFIX

imported post

It's just a design. It is a factor for an organization.

Is the XD reliable? Does it have a good track record? If your research shows it's reliable, is doing well, and you like it, then get it.

I was recently researching the S&W M&P and found many problems...slides cracking, mags falling out, and frames cracking...and there I was thinking it was a solid pistol.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah I stayed away from the M&Ps as soon as I held one the first time. It seems like they were focused more on the marketing campaign than they were the product.

My S&W SW99, on the other hand, has been flawless since the day I got it. I don't know why they're not more popular.

Mjolnir

imported post

XD's tend to have extraction issues, they don't start out that way, but typically get that way with a little use & the grip safety springs break turning the pistol into a paperweight or once in a while doing nothing an allowing you to still shoot it.

At $250 the HS2000 wasn't bad, but at $500 as the XD, it's over priced for what you get.

As you can tell , there are more parts in a XD's slide OR frame than in the entire Glock & for a fighting pistol, that's way to many parts and to complex.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I'm not sure, because as I say I haven't fired one, I've just seen it through the glass, but the reviews I've seen say it has an external safety and an internal trigger safety.

I must say though, the arrogance of some of the reporters makes me never plan to subscribe to that magazine.
Yes, they have an internal firing pin block just like most P-series. They do NOT have a trigger catch like a Glock, XD or M&P, which is an integral trigger safety; it composes part of the trigger itself, not the internal mechanisms.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Yes, they have an internal firing pin block just like most P-series. They do NOT have a trigger catch like a Glock, XD or M&P, which is an integral trigger safety; it composes part of the trigger itself, not the internal mechanisms.