• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dont know what to get...

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yes, they have an internal firing pin block just like most P-series. They do NOT have a trigger catch like a Glock, XD or M&P, which is an integral trigger safety; it composes part of the trigger itself, not the internal mechanisms.
Could you explain the difference between internal and integral? It says that the SR9 has 4 safeties (A manual safety, magazine safety, trigger safety and "trigger bar interlock and striker safety"), and cannot fire unless the trigger has moved all the way back. That's the trigger safety I was referring to, although until this post I didn't notice that you called it "integral" and not "internal" which is what I thought you said.

In reference to the SR9:

[it has an] Abidextrous manual safety, internal trigger bar interlock and striker blocker, trigger safety, and magazine disconnect.

I own a Glock, so I know that the Glocks have a safety on the trigger itself, plus a "striker safety" (And drop safety...) that is internal, and deactivated by the trigger moving all the way to the rear. But if you're grouping the Glock, XD and M&P all together as all having "integral" trigger safeties, then you can't be talking about the trigger within a trigger design of the Glock and XD. At least I haven't seen it in the M&P. Are you talking about the trigger deactivated striker safety? Also, I noticed this post may have come across as rude, just note that it is not intended to be.

Once again in reference to the SR9:

The striker has a passive trigger-activated safety bar, so the striker can't reach the primer unless you've pulled the trigger.

eyesopened

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
XD's tend to have extraction issues, they don't start out that way, but typically get that way with a little use & the grip safety springs break turning the pistol into a paperweight or once in a while doing nothing an allowing you to still shoot it.

At $250 the HS2000 wasn't bad, but at $500 as the XD, it's over priced for what you get.

As you can tell , there are more parts in a XD's slide OR frame than in the entire Glock & for a fighting pistol, that's way to many parts and to complex.

Wow that's the first I've heard of both of your claims. I've been at the xdtalk.com forums and have never heard of that happening. I've put around 2k through my XD45 and had no such problems either.

Here is a torture test. I would think after firing 20k through a pistol, it would show some flaws: http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

The XD also has a loaded chamber indicator and an indicator to let you know the striker is cocked, both things the glock do not have and add to the parts count. The new XD45 will be coming out with a manual safety, this will increase the parts count. Will that manual safety make it more unreliable? ;) And if you're wondering, the addition of the manual safety is to allow it to be in consideration by more LE agencies and the military since the XD is considered a single action

Weak 9mm

imported post

The XD also has a loaded chamber indicator and an indicator to let you know the striker is cocked, both things the glock do not have and add to the parts count.
I don't know where you heard this, perhaps you're thinking of earlier ones? My G17 has a visual/tactile loaded chamber indicator (The extractor has a tab that sticks out, a pretty good idea IMO and it doesn't increase the parts count), and there is no "decocking" mechanism, so the striker is always partially cocked unless you pull the trigger without a round in the chamber and don't rack the slide. Also, at least in my G17, you can visually see a round in the chamber with the slide fully closed as well.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah, I think the 1st and 2nd "generations" did not have these features. So if considering used that could be an issue with the Glock. Basically if the grip doesn't have finger grooves, I'd say it's likely it doesn't have the loaded chamber indicator, which I personally wouldn't go without.

FogRider

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
XD's tend to have extraction issues, they don't start out that way, but typically get that way with a little use & the grip safety springs break turning the pistol into a paperweight or once in a while doing nothing an allowing you to still shoot it.

At $250 the HS2000 wasn't bad, but at $500 as the XD, it's over priced for what you get.

As you can tell , there are more parts in a XD's slide OR frame than in the entire Glock & for a fighting pistol, that's way to many parts and to complex.
Can you show me where you got that info (the extraction issues, I know the XD has more parts)? I'd like to know when(if?) I need to start replacing parts before they wear out. I have run a crapload of ammo through my XD with no problems. Ok, not NO problems, I have had a couple twothree stovepipes with some cheap ammo, but that's a problem any semi auto can have.

eyesopened

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Mjolnir wrote:

Can you show me where you got that info (the extraction issues, I know the XD has more parts)? I'd like to know when(if?) I need to start replacing parts before they wear out. I have run a crapload of ammo through my XD with no problems. Ok, not NO problems, I have had a couple twothree stovepipes with some cheap ammo, but that's a problem any semi auto can have.
I posted a "torture test" above where the shot 20,000 rounds through an XD and they had no issues. I think the claims are just "internet rumors"