• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to open carry

freakazoid

imported post

I have been thinking about open carry, recently moved to South Dakotah but haven't got my CC yet :(, and I was wondering what turn open carry into concealed carry? Is having it in a covered holster make it concealed? Does having a shoulder holster but wearing a jacket make it concealed? How do you carry open?

kurtmax_0

imported post

Be careful with covered holsters. In some states they are okay. You would mostly need to check court cases.

There are around 'three' catagories of states I've found for defining OC vs CC.

1. The firearm is concealed if a substantial portion of the pistol is covered (like the grip isn't exposed)

2. The firearm is concealed if no parts of the firearm are visible. But it's okay if say, the grip barely sticks out.

3. A few states recognize covered holsters as acceptable OC. Not fanny packs and man-purses, but those 'calvary' type holsters....

Sitrep

imported post

I assume for the most part that if a reasonable person would recognize it as a firearm (even if they can only really see the holster), then it is OC.

Though many "reasonable" people will ask if the gun you obviously have is a real gun?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Also, check the definition of "concealed" in your state laws. It can vary from state to state. If your jacket is covering your gun it is concealed.

ScorpioMk

imported post

freakazoid wrote:
Thanks that really helps, :)
You would mostly need to check court cases.

Anybody know where I can find this info out?

Asking questions in your specific state forum might get you more help, as most outside of your state dont know your laws as well as a resident might/should.

Marcus