• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who knows about...

KnightSG7

imported post

Hey everyone,

Iam soon to be 18, and will be OC'ing pretty much everywhere.

Ihave a friend who has about 30 acres, with constant break-ins happening in broad daylight.

My question was, with his permission, since it is private property, couldI be able to CC while i'm doing work on his farm?

I do not know how the laws would change once on private property.

Thanks!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm afraid that you cannot CC on your friend's property, even if you are over 21.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. …. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof. [emphasis added]

Read the rest of the Code section for all the details on who and where, but it looks like the bottom line is not without a CHP, and you cannot get one until you are 21.

stay safe.

skidmark

beradcee

imported post

What would be the advantage of concealing while working there?? If you are trying to stop daylightbreak-ins and stuff wouldn't you want some visual deterrant to the BGs??

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's not encourage the kid to do foolish stuff. He's working on his friend's farm. He's not hired as an armed guard (too young, among other things). And even if he were hired as a guard, his duty would be to observe and report, not confront. (See Danbus' rant on that.)

He can be a good witness and call 911 with a description of the perps and the tag # of their vehicle. There is no need for him to confront anybody.

If his efforts to be somewhere that does not expose him to danger do not pan out, he may need to defend himself. But that's only if he cannot avoid, evade, and defuse/deescalate.

stay safe.

skidmark