Thread: Letter to editor TC Record Eagle

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Here is a letter I wrote to the TC record Eagle. Unfortunately they only allow 200 words which makes it very difficult to convey all I would have liked. It's a stream-lined version of the opinion I wrote for the Lansing State Journal.

Open carry of handguns

Few people realize, including many in law enforcement, that Michigan allows the open carry of handguns by adults who can lawfully own a handgun.

In Michigan, non-concealed pistol license holders can only transport an unloaded handgun secured in a case or in the truck of their vehicle under specific conditions defined by law.

Why open carry? An adult under 21 years of age cannot get a concealed pistol license, but they can openly carry. Also, a person may not be able to afford the high cost of the initial license, which can exceed $300.

Michigan has a firearm preemption law that disallows local municipalities from passing laws more restrictive than the state without state approval. This allows open carry in any city as well as most municipal buildings.

Private property owners can ban firearms on their property. Before carrying a firearm, it behooves you to research Michigan's firearm laws. There are restrictions on where a person can possess a firearm. Open carry has restrictions; become familiar with firearm laws and the use of deadly force.

Carrying a firearm is a great responsibility. For those wishing to carry a firearm for all lawful purposes, it is an option worth looking into.

Brian Jeffs, Bath MI

The writer is a former Traverse City resident.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY"

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Mulligan's Valley

Post imported post

The 200 word thing sure wasn't cool, but still, another great piece published by Venator.

The most important lesson I have learned from my time in the freedom movement and further studying it is that trying to create an organization without preventing the issues caused by narcissistic sociopaths and democracy is a lot like heading to sea in a sieve. It'll never work.

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Marquette, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Well done.