• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to editor TC Record Eagle

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Here is a letter I wrote to the TC record Eagle. Unfortunately they only allow 200 words which makes it very difficult to convey all I would have liked. It's a stream-lined version of the opinion I wrote for the Lansing State Journal.

http://www.record-eagle.com/opinion/local_story_027110241.html

Open carry of handguns

Few people realize, including many in law enforcement, that Michigan allows the open carry of handguns by adults who can lawfully own a handgun.

In Michigan, non-concealed pistol license holders can only transport an unloaded handgun secured in a case or in the truck of their vehicle under specific conditions defined by law.

Why open carry? An adult under 21 years of age cannot get a concealed pistol license, but they can openly carry. Also, a person may not be able to afford the high cost of the initial license, which can exceed $300.

Michigan has a firearm preemption law that disallows local municipalities from passing laws more restrictive than the state without state approval. This allows open carry in any city as well as most municipal buildings.

Private property owners can ban firearms on their property. Before carrying a firearm, it behooves you to research Michigan's firearm laws. There are restrictions on where a person can possess a firearm. Open carry has restrictions; become familiar with firearm laws and the use of deadly force.

Carrying a firearm is a great responsibility. For those wishing to carry a firearm for all lawful purposes, it is an option worth looking into.

Brian Jeffs, Bath MI

The writer is a former Traverse City resident.