• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun Utube video attacks SCCC, VCDL, & NRA for "heaping abuse" on protestors

bohdi

imported post

Thanks for overcoming the technical difficulties NS. They probably don't want to see mine because I edited it similar to theirs, but it was a bit harder hitting. Of course, I allowed comments and all audio was available with the video http://tinyurl.com/38uqc4- for those of you reading this that aren't pro-gun, it's okay. You can look, you can comment too. We know you want to :D.

Honestly, if that's the Brady Center, Million Mom March and Protest Easy Guns best shot, we really have nothing to worry about.

stryth

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
The more ruckuss the anti gunners make about this "loophole", the more they are educating criminals and potential nutcases about how they might be able to find one of these unliscenced dealers at a gun show, the higher the probability that such a dealer will be found by said criminals, and the higher the probablity that one of them will buy from one and use the guns in crimes. If the antis had kept their mouths shut, most criminals and nuts would still be in the dark about this teeny weeny itsy bitsy loophole. What tards...
The text of the speeches makes matters quite clear. They're not interested in closing the so-called loophole, they're interested in outlawing private sales and implementing full registration for firearms. This isn't about gun shows and never was, and I'm more concerned about the "gas station loophole" that allows felons and the criminally insane to buy volatile chemicals without a background check.

At the end of the day bad people with evil intent will be able to engage in heinous behavior so long as we are free and probably even if we aren't. I'll take the freedom any day of the week, and set remote fear of minor possibilities aside instead of giving in to the rhetoric of fear that has gripped political dialog in this country for quite some time.

Neplusultra

imported post

stryth wrote:
The text of the speeches makes matters quite clear. They're not interested in closing the so-called loophole, they're interested in outlawing private sales and implementing full registration for firearms. This isn't about gun shows and never was, and I'm more concerned about the "gas station loophole" that allows felons and the criminally insane to buy volatile chemicals without a background check.

At the end of the day bad people with evil intent will be able to engage in heinous behavior so long as we are free and probably even if we aren't. I'll take the freedom any day of the week, and set remote fear of minor possibilities aside instead of giving in to the rhetoric of fear that has gripped political dialog in this country for quite some time.
It is so. Can you imagine what this country would be like if all the little nibbles of freedom hadn't be taken away because of all the evildoers. Punish the evil doers, let freedom reign. Because as you say, evil doers will still do their thing no matter.

Neplusultra

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
They seem bitter that the pro-gun people didn't have "a permit" to stand there. Their video focused more on the good signs than their signs.
I know, like the signs were evidence of how crazy we were or something. I noticed while watching the video that the chose to show what I considered the "best" of the sign messages. Of course there was the zooming in on the crazy blue shirt guy with the big .45 :^). That proved their point to me!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This just in from VCDL:

--

Subject:
VA-ALERT: More video of LIE-In

Date:
1/29/2008 3:04:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's Gun Dealer Legal Defense Fund -- help fight Mayor Bloomberg's
scheme to cripple Virginia firearms dealers. See:
http://www.vcdl.org/index.html#DefenseFund
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html

I just found this video of the lie in, which is longer and not edited
by the antis. You can see for yourself if there was taunting or rude
behavior on the part of gun owners.

There was a part where some people laugh and an anti taunts, "How dare
you laugh! How dare you!"

Of course as you listen to the tape, you will see why everyone is
laughing: some of the antis break into an absolutely horrible
rendition of "We shall over come" (around 2:25 minutes into the tape -
hearing protection suggested!)

That song was so far over the top - equating a bunch of gun haters to
oppressed blacks in the 60's. Oh, please.

Speaking of wanting to oppress - this is the group that didn't want us
to watch their "public" spectacle because we weren't "invited."

Hypocrites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KYO08NgWQk

vrwmiller

imported post

What are the privacy issues concerning videos posted on YouTube, especially by non-profit organizations like MMM? I am clearly seen in that video as the focus of that particular angle for 5 - 6 seconds. Is there any grounds through which I can request that the video be taken down?

IanB

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
What are the privacy issues concerning videos posted on YouTube, especially by non-profit organizations like MMM? I am clearly seen in that video as the focus of that particular angle for 5 - 6 seconds. Is there any grounds through which I can request that the video be taken down?
I don't believe you have any recourse against them. You were in a public place and had no expectation of privacy.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
I don't believe you have any recourse against them. You were in a public place and had no expectation of privacy.
Well, not "no" expectation of privacy, but certainly a very low expectation - of your mere likeness while observing a public demonstration.

bohdi

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:

Nope, there aren't. You do not have to consent. You're also clearly shown on my video as well as some of the local news coverage I believe. Only one party "has" to consent in this case, your out in public, on public property. If you were the City of Richmond, and I wanted to come and shoot for a movie that I was going to profit off of, that's different. But your just Joe Citizen exercising a 1st Amendment right while standing around observing going's on.

What I want to know is if the producer of the video for the anti's obtained permission from the Richmond Times Dispatch for using their clearly watermarked photograph for the making of their video. If they didn't, the Richmond Times Dispatch can go after them and request the producer take it down and edit that out as it wasn't something that was shot by the producer themselves.

vrwmiller

imported post

I didn't think there'd be any recourse either, but was certainly interested in it. I've looked through YouTube's policies and there does not seem to be anything available that would constitute a privacy policy violation.

swillden

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
As an amateur photographer who is exploring making it a profession, I've investigated the laws and precedents around the use of a person's image.

The bottom line, per professsional photogs and their lawyers, is that unless your image is being used commercially, you have basically zero recourse. Now, if they snip some pieces of that video and start using them in commercials advertising products, you can sue whoever put the commercials on the air, and you'll win handily unless they can produce a release form with your signature on it.

When it comes to non-commercial and especially political use of footage shot in a public place, where you had no reasonable expectation of privacy, the first amendment trumps your privacy rights.

jack

Banned
imported post

Every time I see those idiots laying on the ground it reminds me of the hippies of Woodstock. These freaks have just invented the lazy man's form of a sit in.

It would have been fun to drop a string of m-80s about half way through their "lay in", with a few designated screamers yelling " they are shooting , they are shooting! "

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jack wrote:
It would have been fun to drop a string of m-80s about half way through their "lay in", with a few designated screamers yelling " they are shooting , they are shooting! "
What is the benefit to doing this? Causing mass hysteria and possible physical injury and death does seem wise. Nor is it taking the high road and being non-violent.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

jack wrote:
Every time I see those idiots laying on the ground it reminds me of the hippies of Woodstock. These freaks have just invented the lazy man's form of a sit in.

'Fun' perhaps, but liable to charges IANALorCOP of 'inciting terrorism.' Hell, a vinegar and soda 'device' is considered an explosive device. The BATFags would be on the M-80 dropper like white on rice.

And the millions of marching morons would be cheering-on the JBTs.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

stryth

imported post

jack wrote:
Sinister and twisted, I wouldn't call it fun.

I have my fun showing up every time I can, watching peacefully (usually armed), sometimes talking with them (some are extremely offensive individuals while others like Ladd Everett are fun to chat with), and always going home knowing that the hysterics they promote are unfounded and unrealistic. Then, I can watch videos where they take hours of footage and tapes and are able to produce only 30 seconds of audio which they even try to pretend is them being swarmed, harassed, and taunted.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We carry for several reasons. AFAIK, terrorizing people is not one of them.

When my husband and I first married, he had recently returned from a US military tour in Iran. It's only been the last few years - 20 years later now - that he doesn't jump and immediately reach for his firearm at every loud sound. These people are likely to be easily scared, and subjecting them intentionally to this kind of behavior is simply cruel.

We know many monitor our site. Joking about something like that can come back to bite us.

As for me, I'm betting if the stuff had hit the fan on the 21st, there'd have been an immediate cordon of armed individuals, with one taking lead and others following, to neutralize the threat. That's what we do.