Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best all around .22 pistol?

Post imported post

looking for a good practice pistol.

I carry a .40, but am looking for a good .22 for target practice --- the difference in price between .40 and .22 ammo is driving this.

any input / advice re:

Browning Buckmark

Walther P22

Beretta Neos

I've heard / read on several different boards that rugers are reliable, but a pain to take apart / put back together.

thanks !!

Post imported post

I believe you stated you own a G23, if so why not get a Advantage Arms(or other makers)conversion kit.

I have the AA LE kit for my G20 one of my best investments.

There is a weight difference but you are using the same frame.
    Your still practicing with the same gun you carry.

Beware of the person with one gun, they probably know how to use it.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I can't say enough good things about my Walther P22. I've put a few bricks through it and never had a hiccup. I got it for the same reason, I can't afford to shoot30 dollars worth of 357 mag every time I want to get some practice in.

My buddy has a Ruger .22(can't remember the name, but its the thick barrel target pistol) that I shot a hundred rounds or so through. I have smaller hands, and I just didn't like how thick the gripwas lengthwise. My P22 really fits my hands nicely.

Post imported post

I carry a G27 - never thought of getting a conversion kit. Not sure if they make one for mine...

guess I was looking for an excuse to buy another gun....

thanks

Post imported post

thanks for the quick response.

I've read (not that I should believe it all...) that there were some slide, safety related problems.

what brand ammo do you use?

I saw the P22 at a Charlotte gun show yesterday and it looks awesome...

Post imported post

http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html

It can be ordered direct.

Almost all .22's or picky regarding ammo,
    the only one thatI have that isn't is my SW mod 41
    CCI mini mags preform the best for me.

Glock Model
    Conversion Kit

G27
    L.E. 26-27

Only $249.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
    thanks for the quick response.

I've read (not that I should believe it all...) that there were some slide, safety related problems.

what brand ammo do you use?

I saw the P22 at a Charlotte gun show yesterday and it looks awesome...

I shoot CCI Blazer. I can't recall having a failure to feed or fire yet, and I must have shot at least 1000 rounds, if not 1500. I've shot Remington HP (the cheapest stuff around here) and otherassorted brandsin my other.22's, but I've always had the best luck with Blazer.

I do clean it pretty well and often, though, since the feed ramp tends to get leaded up pretty bad with the CCI solid bullets. Haven't had any issues with safety or slide...

One thing I don't really like is the safety - you have to thumb it up to fire, opposite of a 1911 IIRC. It just doesn't feel natural,and it certainly isn't quick for me. I have to shift my grip to lever my thumb up andflick itoff. It isn't a big dealbecause I don'tcarry it, butI certainly can't draw it and flick off the safety smoothly. Just something to check out before you buy.

Post imported post

I've got a Wilson Combat .22LR conversion kit for my Kimber Custom Tactical II, and the gun is more reliable with the .22 slide on it (zero feeding failures) than it is with the .45 slide on it (three FTF in about 800 rounds).

Post imported post

Anyone want to buy an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for a Glock 26/27 for $200 shipping included?

I can ship to your door... no FFL req'd. I warn anyone interested, these jam like crazy. I've put about 200 rounds through it. Comes with 2 magazines.

Post imported post

You live in the charlotte area? We can go shoot my P22 and you can make up your own mind. My opinion is that the advantage of the P22 is it's similarity to a defensive caliber pistol. It has the same features you'll find on most semi autos, and therefore will reflect firing these. It is a great training pistol that won't break the bank. Check out www.rimfirecentral.com and look under walther. I'm always ready to go to the range on short notice, and that little pistol doesn't leave my car (wife doesn't know I have it )

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

My own preference is the Browning Buckmark. It's an inexpensive yet good-quality pistol that will definitely put lead downrange and is good for almost any environment. I'm going to swap out the front sight though; a fiber optic sight would be more easily seen, provide a more positive center andhave a smaller profile so it'd be easier to get a good sight picture.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Anyone want to buy an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for a Glock 26/27 for $200 shipping included?

I can ship to your door... no FFL req'd. I warn anyone interested, these jam like crazy. I've put about 200 rounds through it. Comes with 2 magazines.
    Did you use high velocity 22 ammo?

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html

It can be ordered direct.

Almost all .22's or picky regarding ammo,
    the only one thatI have that isn't is my SW mod 41
    CCI mini mags preform the best for me.

Glock Model
    Conversion Kit

G27
    L.E. 26-27

Only $249.
    The P22 is only 265.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Carolina40,

I agree on getting a .22LR conversion kit if one's available for your larger gun (which is probably the best option)...I have one of the Ciener conversions for my Colt 1911 and it's great.

But my BEST "dedicated" .22LR handgun is my stainless bull-barrel Ruger Mark III...which you don't show in your list so I guess you've ruledthe Rugerout.

Look into getting a .22LR conversion kit.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

I have a Ruger Mark II .22/.45. Has the same grips as the 1911 but shoots .22s I have shot about 1000 rounds so far with never a jam or a misfire. I have been shooting Federal hollowpoints in the bilk pack from Walmart. For the money don't think you can beat it. 20 rounds out of 40 through the 10 ring at 15 yards,so not too bad.

Goliath

Post imported post

Ruger Mark I, II. I have a Ruger Mark I and its a very reliable gun never jams. That would be my first choice.

Post imported post

are the rugers a PITA to take apart / put back together?

currently I have a glock 27 and a sig 228 --- both are very easy to clean...

thanks

Post imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
    are the rugers a PITA to take apart / put back together?

currently I have a glock 27 and a sig 228 --- both are very easy to clean...

thanks
    For pistols I shoot a 1911 and a Ruger MK III Hunter. I have no problems field stripping either, though the MK III is somewhat harder. As far as cleaning, you could always just use a bore snake, but stripping it for cleaning isn't so bad. I do despise the loaded chamber indicator as I have a relatively hard time keeping it clean (I've also put three bricks of 22 downrange in the past two weeks, which is the real culprit).

This guy is really boring to listen to, but here's a video of the take-down. Removing the upper is not needed for general cleaning.

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    nakedshoplifter wrote:

Did you use high velocity 22 ammo?
    I tried everything.

Post imported post

Goliath wrote:
    I have a Ruger Mark II .22/.45. Has the same grips as the 1911 but shoots .22s I have shot about 1000 rounds so far with never a jam or a misfire. I have been shooting Federal hollowpoints in the bilk pack from Walmart. For the money don't think you can beat it. 20 rounds out of 40 through the 10 ring at 15 yards,so not too bad.

Goliath
    I've got the same setup MKII 22/45. I bought the pistol used and have since found out it is 10 years old. You'd never know looking at it. I have the Stainless Steel model with the 5.5" Bull Barrel. It has the familiar 1911 grip angle and the controls (safety & magazine release) are where they are on a 1911. Trigger feels very nice. I've also been using the bulk Federal ammo from walmart and so far 500 rds and no issues at all. The Ruger is a little confusing to take apart at first, but it is not really hard. Try using these instructions, they may help better than the manual: http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

If you get a Ruger, I would look at purchasing a used MKII, rather than the MKIII. The MKIII got "Lawyered up", meaning it hasa Loaded Chamber indicator as well as a Magazine safety. Two things not "required" on any pistol IMO.

Post imported post

I have 2 Phoenix HP 22LR.
    I paid just over $100 each, have about 20,000 rounds through them, and they have a lifetime warranty.

They are cheep, fun to shoot and I like them better than my friends Buckmark.

Tarzan

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Carolina40,

Yes...they are more difficult than other guns I know of, especially if you do not do it often enough toREMEMBER how it goes...then you have to pull out the INSTRUCTIONS every time!

Other than that, I have no issues with it.

eyesopened,

Thanks for the link to the"22/45 Mark III Field Stripping Disassembly Procedure" instructions/guide." I saved it because I'll be needing it (been a LONG time since I took my Mk III apart).

Yes, I agree with you. I tried to find a new Mk II (I had one years ago but sold it) at the time, but they were discontinued and had to get a Mk III...those issues you mention were not a dealbreaker for me. But I did have to sell my older MkII magazines as they would not fit a Mk III.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

I like .22 revolvers. They aren't picky about which ammo cycles because they are revolvers.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    SNIP:
    Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for a Glock 26/27
    I warn anyone interested, these j am like crazy.
    Mine doesn't have that problem:P.
    Why didn't you send it back?
    They do have a warranty.

EDIT:
    ONE YEAR FACTORY DIRECT WARRANTY / 30-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE**

Warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship. (Excluding S&H Charges).

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I've tried every brand of ammo available in my Walther P22 and the only ammo that doesn't produce fail to fire in 2-3 out of 8 rounds is CCI Stingers. Problem is, Stingers are a little expensive for sustained range time.

I've followed Walther's Tech. Rep's suggestion and coated the Safety screws with Loc-Tite, but after 10-20 rounds the safety levers jar loose and the problem persists.

THE GOOD NEWS: Walther's service dept. is second to none. It's almost worth putting up with the problems just to deal with a service dept. that remembers what the word service means.

Bottom line: The P22 is going back to the service dept today using the shipping material sent to me by Walther, Over-nite, Air Express via UPS, insured and is promised to be returned with 2 weeks, all at their expense.

I don't mind small mistakes, but I won't stay with a Company that refuses to admit a problem or try to correct it.

For service.....go with the P22

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast