• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best all around .22 pistol?

Carolina40

imported post

looking for a good practice pistol.

I carry a .40, but am looking for a good .22 for target practice --- the difference in price between .40 and .22 ammo is driving this.

any input / advice re:

Browning Buckmark

Walther P22

Beretta Neos

I've heard / read on several different boards that rugers are reliable, but a pain to take apart / put back together.

thanks !!

Marco

imported post

I believe you stated you own a G23, if so why not get a Advantage Arms(or other makers)conversion kit.

I have the AA LE kit for my G20 one of my best investments.

There is a weight difference but you are using the same frame.
:idea:Your still practicing with the same gun you carry.

Beware of the person with one gun, they probably know how to use it.

dt

imported post

I can't say enough good things about my Walther P22. I've put a few bricks through it and never had a hiccup. I got it for the same reason, I can't afford to shoot30 dollars worth of 357 mag every time I want to get some practice in.

My buddy has a Ruger .22(can't remember the name, but its the thick barrel target pistol) that I shot a hundred rounds or so through. I have smaller hands, and I just didn't like how thick the gripwas lengthwise. My P22 really fits my hands nicely.

Carolina40

imported post

I carry a G27 - never thought of getting a conversion kit. Not sure if they make one for mine...

guess I was looking for an excuse to buy another gun....

thanks

Carolina40

imported post

thanks for the quick response.

I've read (not that I should believe it all...) that there were some slide, safety related problems.

what brand ammo do you use?

I saw the P22 at a Charlotte gun show yesterday and it looks awesome...

Marco

imported post

http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html

It can be ordered direct.

Almost all .22's or picky regarding ammo,
the only one thatI have that isn't is my SW mod 41
CCI mini mags preform the best for me.

Glock Model
Conversion Kit

LE26_27right_lg.jpg

G27
L.E. 26-27

Only $249.

dt

imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
thanks for the quick response.

I've read (not that I should believe it all...) that there were some slide, safety related problems.

what brand ammo do you use?

I saw the P22 at a Charlotte gun show yesterday and it looks awesome...

I shoot CCI Blazer. I can't recall having a failure to feed or fire yet, and I must have shot at least 1000 rounds, if not 1500. I've shot Remington HP (the cheapest stuff around here) and otherassorted brandsin my other.22's, but I've always had the best luck with Blazer.

I do clean it pretty well and often, though, since the feed ramp tends to get leaded up pretty bad with the CCI solid bullets. Haven't had any issues with safety or slide...

One thing I don't really like is the safety - you have to thumb it up to fire, opposite of a 1911 IIRC. It just doesn't feel natural,and it certainly isn't quick for me. I have to shift my grip to lever my thumb up andflick itoff. It isn't a big dealbecause I don'tcarry it, butI certainly can't draw it and flick off the safety smoothly. Just something to check out before you buy.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I've got a Wilson Combat .22LR conversion kit for my Kimber Custom Tactical II, and the gun is more reliable with the .22 slide on it (zero feeding failures) than it is with the .45 slide on it (three FTF in about 800 rounds).

IanB

imported post

Anyone want to buy an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for a Glock 26/27 for $200 shipping included?

I can ship to your door... no FFL req'd. I warn anyone interested, these jam like crazy. I've put about 200 rounds through it. Comes with 2 magazines.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

You live in the charlotte area? We can go shoot my P22 and you can make up your own mind. My opinion is that the advantage of the P22 is it's similarity to a defensive caliber pistol. It has the same features you'll find on most semi autos, and therefore will reflect firing these. It is a great training pistol that won't break the bank. Check out www.rimfirecentral.com and look under walther. I'm always ready to go to the range on short notice, and that little pistol doesn't leave my car (wife doesn't know I have it ;))

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My own preference is the Browning Buckmark. It's an inexpensive yet good-quality pistol that will definitely put lead downrange and is good for almost any environment. I'm going to swap out the front sight though; a fiber optic sight would be more easily seen, provide a more positive center andhave a smaller profile so it'd be easier to get a good sight picture.

bayboy42

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Anyone want to buy an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for a Glock 26/27 for $200 shipping included?

I can ship to your door... no FFL req'd. I warn anyone interested, these jam like crazy. I've put about 200 rounds through it. Comes with 2 magazines.
Did you use high velocity 22 ammo?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Carolina40,

I agree on getting a .22LR conversion kit if one's available for your larger gun (which is probably the best option)...I have one of the Ciener conversions for my Colt 1911 and it's great.

But my BEST "dedicated" .22LR handgun is my stainless bull-barrel Ruger Mark III...which you don't show in your list so I guess you've ruledthe Rugerout.

Look into getting a .22LR conversion kit.

-- John D.

Goliath

imported post

I have a Ruger Mark II .22/.45. Has the same grips as the 1911 but shoots .22s I have shot about 1000 rounds so far with never a jam or a misfire. I have been shooting Federal hollowpoints in the bilk pack from Walmart. For the money don't think you can beat it. 20 rounds out of 40 through the 10 ring at 15 yards,so not too bad.

Goliath

Carolina40

imported post

are the rugers a PITA to take apart / put back together?

currently I have a glock 27 and a sig 228 --- both are very easy to clean...

thanks

stryth

imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
are the rugers a PITA to take apart / put back together?

currently I have a glock 27 and a sig 228 --- both are very easy to clean...

thanks
For pistols I shoot a 1911 and a Ruger MK III Hunter. I have no problems field stripping either, though the MK III is somewhat harder. As far as cleaning, you could always just use a bore snake, but stripping it for cleaning isn't so bad. I do despise the loaded chamber indicator as I have a relatively hard time keeping it clean (I've also put three bricks of 22 downrange in the past two weeks, which is the real culprit).

This guy is really boring to listen to, but here's a video of the take-down. Removing the upper is not needed for general cleaning.

IanB

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

Did you use high velocity 22 ammo?
I tried everything.

eyesopened

imported post

Goliath wrote:
I have a Ruger Mark II .22/.45. Has the same grips as the 1911 but shoots .22s I have shot about 1000 rounds so far with never a jam or a misfire. I have been shooting Federal hollowpoints in the bilk pack from Walmart. For the money don't think you can beat it. 20 rounds out of 40 through the 10 ring at 15 yards,so not too bad.

Goliath
I've got the same setup MKII 22/45. I bought the pistol used and have since found out it is 10 years old. You'd never know looking at it. I have the Stainless Steel model with the 5.5" Bull Barrel. It has the familiar 1911 grip angle and the controls (safety & magazine release) are where they are on a 1911. Trigger feels very nice. I've also been using the bulk Federal ammo from walmart and so far 500 rds and no issues at all. The Ruger is a little confusing to take apart at first, but it is not really hard. Try using these instructions, they may help better than the manual: http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

If you get a Ruger, I would look at purchasing a used MKII, rather than the MKIII. The MKIII got "Lawyered up", meaning it hasa Loaded Chamber indicator as well as a Magazine safety. Two things not "required" on any pistol IMO.