• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best all around .22 pistol?

tarzan1888

imported post

I have 2 Phoenix HP 22LR.
I paid just over $100 each, have about 20,000 rounds through them, and they have a lifetime warranty.

They are cheep, fun to shoot and I like them better than my friends Buckmark. ;)

Tarzan

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Carolina40,

Yes...they are more difficult than other guns I know of, especially if you do not do it often enough toREMEMBER how it goes...then you have to pull out the INSTRUCTIONS every time!

Other than that, I have no issues with it.

eyesopened,

Thanks for the link to the"22/45 Mark III Field Stripping Disassembly Procedure" instructions/guide." I saved it because I'll be needing it (been a LONG time since I took my Mk III apart).

Yes, I agree with you. I tried to find a new Mk II (I had one years ago but sold it) at the time, but they were discontinued and had to get a Mk III...those issues you mention were not a dealbreaker for me. But I did have to sell my older MkII magazines as they would not fit a Mk III.

-- John D.

Marco

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
SNIP:
Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for a Glock 26/27
I warn anyone interested, these j am like crazy.
Mine doesn't have that problem:p.
Why didn't you send it back?
They do have a warranty.

EDIT:
ONE YEAR FACTORY DIRECT WARRANTY / 30-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE**

Warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship. (Excluding S&H Charges).

MITCH

imported post

I've tried every brand of ammo available in my Walther P22 and the only ammo that doesn't produce fail to fire in 2-3 out of 8 rounds is CCI Stingers. Problem is, Stingers are a little expensive for sustained range time.

I've followed Walther's Tech. Rep's suggestion and coated the Safety screws with Loc-Tite, but after 10-20 rounds the safety levers jar loose and the problem persists.

THE GOOD NEWS: Walther's service dept. is second to none. It's almost worth putting up with the problems just to deal with a service dept. that remembers what the word service means.

Bottom line: The P22 is going back to the service dept today using the shipping material sent to me by Walther, Over-nite, Air Express via UPS, insured and is promised to be returned with 2 weeks, all at their expense.

I don't mind small mistakes, but I won't stay with a Company that refuses to admit a problem or try to correct it.

For service.....go with the P22

41 Magnum

imported post

The big trick to the ruger mkIII or 22/45 reassembly is getting the hammer strut lined up correctly. The first time I did it, I was pissed off for a couple hours before I figured it out. Then I redid the disassemble/reassemble thing a half dozen times back-to-back so I would remember it.

As for the walther p22s: We have one with a suppresor screwed on it at the gun store I work for. We use this for a demo gun. It has had the heck shot out of it, probably approaching 10,000 rounds, if not more. No trouble to date.

Thundar

imported post

The best practice 22 is the one that is most similar to what you will be carrying. For this a conversion kit would probably be best.

For reducing the cost of practice rounds you might also want to consider doing your own reloads.

Schofield

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
The big trick to the ruger mkIII or 22/45 reassembly is getting the hammer strut lined up correctly. The first time I did it, I was pissed off for a couple hours before I figured it out. Then I redid the disassemble/reassemble thing a half dozen times back-to-back so I would remember it.

As for the walther p22s: We have one with a suppresor screwed on it at the gun store I work for. We use this for a demo gun. It has had the heck shot out of it, probably approaching 10,000 rounds, if not more. No trouble to date.
What I'm really wondering about the Walther P22 is if the shorter barrel wil affect the accuracy at normal pistol ranges compared to the longer barrel found on most .22 pistols. Though most .22 pistols are meant for target shooting to begin with... I'm really interested in the Walther, however, because of the control similarity to most modern semi-autos for practice.

41 Magnum

imported post

No inherent accuracy issues. It's not a target pistol by any means, but you can easily keep them all in the A zone of an IDPA target at 15-20 yards.

I've never sat down and shot our demo walther off sand bags for accuracy. But it will bounce soda cans around at 25 yards pretty easily.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

The P22 was designed to be a practice gun. It is meant to act like, feel like and look like a defense caliber automatic (the P99). It is a great training pistol that has many features for a gun under $300. I shoot federal bulk ammo through it with no problems. I would not call it my go to gun, but I could definitely see it being a useful tool to buy me enough time to get to my AR. Accuracy is surprising with this little bugger. At 7 yds I can blow out a 2.5 inch group with both 10 round mags run back to back. I don't think I need more than this out of this little pistol.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can say that I love my Walther p22! Never had any problems with it and it is extremely accurate. Also very easy to conceal. ( if you want to conceal it)

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

moz-screenshot.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

Here is a picture of my sister wearing my p22!

Carolina40

imported post

I really loved the look and feel of the P22 -- but a google search of "walther p22 problems" scared me away. Spoke with a gunsmith and he said that they did in fact have a slide crack (in one of their rental guns).

Hope Walther fixes whatever issue(s) exist(s).

Wound up buying the Browning Buckmark this weekend...

Spectre

imported post

I like the Walther P22 because its cheap, easy to use, ammo is extremely cheap, and the gun still looks mean enough to possibly intimidate an attacker if the Walther is the only gun at hand.

tarzan1888

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
She's cute! Your sister isn't bad looking either.

She is single and 26, if you are interested (and single too) Packingmamma can probably line you up. :dude:

Tarzan

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I am honored. I am, however, happily married (I'm happy, at least). If things were different, I feel I would not be worthy of calling on the daughter of such a respectable and admirable individual such as Lord Greystoke himself. :monkey