• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best all around .22 pistol?

tarzan1888

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I am honored. I am, however, happily married (I'm happy, at least). If things were different, I feel I would not be worthy of calling on the daughter of such a respectable and admirable individual such as Lord Greystoke himself. :monkey

Thank you and thank you.

Tarzan

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a Smith and Wesson model 22A. It shoots great and doesn't jam as long as it's kept clean and lubed. It's also easy to take down for cleaning. They usually run about $200 at gun shows and you can get them in a variety of models.

Hope this helps.

sccrref

imported post

I have a Ruger MK III. Love to shoot the gun. I am on my 4th brick and have only had it a few months. To me it is a little bit of a pain in the ass to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning. (MY Glocks and Baretta are a breeze.) I shoot federal .22 high velocity rounds from wally world and have had no problems with it. I have been looking at a Walther P22 for my wife and 15 year old daughter to practice with. Got the daughter to she store to get the feel of the P22 and she said she likes my Luger better. Go figure. My mother in law has a Browning Buckmark that I love to shoot too. I came within a gnats ass of buying the Browning over the Ruger. Everytime I clean the Ruger, I wish I had bought the Browning. Just my .02. If it keeps you going to the range, it cannot be a bad gun to have. :celebrate

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tarzan you have a good memory! She will be back in April. She might even live with us for a awhile before she decides were to go next. And yes she is still single. Just talked to her last night.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

hijacked.gif

If you guys ever come out to Charlotte to visit the fam, please let me know. It'd be nice to go shoot, or at least just have a coffee.

Edit: I'll carry my P22. Best .22 in my stable. There... back on topic.

curtm1911

imported post

I have a Ruger MKII 22/45 and after several thousand rounds it just keeps going strong. Wanted to get one for my girlfriend, but no luck, so she has a MKIII. Mine is the 5 1/2' Bull Barrel, hers the 4' Bull barrel. The only problem I ever had with mine was a burr in the chamber (origin unknown, as I clean it EVERYTIME I shoot it) sent it to Ruger, and they fixed it, replaced extractor, firing pin and spring and cleaned chamber. no charge. Since then, no problems after a few thousand more rounds. BTW, I use M-PRO 7 for all my cleaning chores and that stuff is AMAZING!!! It breaks down the powder fouling and allows you get right down to the metal. Great Stuff IMO. As for the disassembly, the MKIII is a bit more of a pain, but not so much that I would get rid of it. the MKII is easier andI have done it so much, it is almost automatic anymore. The REAL trick to the MKIII is the Magazine disconnect. Mag in to drop hammer, mag out, mag in, mag out, etc, but it is not too hard really. The manual is good, just follow it and you should have no problems. Ammo is Federal Bulk Pack, from Walley World, I know, but it likes it and so do I, the ammo that is. All this being said, get what you want and enjoy it, .22's are GREAT FUN and good practice. MKII top left, and no drooling please.

Attachments

• My Handguns 1.JPG
    My Handguns 1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 974

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I have a Browning Buckmark which works well in rapid fire. It only likes the CCI Blazer ammo, though. It eats remington, and federal loads. Whilst feeding the round into the tube it has a tendency to bend the lead from the jacket. This happens with rounded bullets, the CCI's tend to be angled especially the JHP's. When I bought it, cost came into play between the Walther P22. I like the P22 because of it's size, and I like the Browning because of it's grip. I would never carry it because of its size and all the sharp angles on the sights, safety, etc., which could be a problem when drawing it. Mine is the cheaper base model which is quite cumbersome compared to the newer, contoured models. I bought it for $200 at Gander Mtn., and enjoy the time it affords me at the range. It's paid for itself.

eyesopened

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
Here is a close-up of my MKII 22/45. They are the ultimate in fun IMO.
I have the same pistol, but the stainless steel version and it's fantastic. I picked it up used and researched the serial number. Found it was a 10yr old pistol. You wouldn't know by how it shot :)

curtm1911

imported post

eyesopened; When you said yours was 10 yrs. old, I went and dug out my reciept for mine, and to my surprise I bought it in March of '93. Like you say, you can't tell the age by the way it shoots, which is fantastic still. 15yrs. old at least and still going strong, and it looks great too. No safe queen here, it gets shot A LOT!!!!!! A testament to using M-Pro 7 for cleaning, looks new inside and out.

Evans86

imported post

I have a Taurus PT-22. It cost me about $280 and i have tries 30 different types of ammo in it. It's just that is must be High velocity ammo or Hyper velocity. It says that in the book and thats what i've stuck to and i NEVER have had it jam in any way or fail to feed on me yet. Putting over 4000 rounds through it (at least 100 rounds of each brand).after trying other brands i do stick to federal in 1000 round blocks from walmart for about, i wana say $45. Just because it's the cheapest. It has been about 5 months since i have fired it though since i am currently in afghanistan with out military. My wife continues to take it to the range on a regular basis and has not told me of any problems with it. I really hope that this helps since most people say that all .22 cal pistols are picky of their ammo.

tju1973

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I like .22 revolvers. They aren't picky about which ammo cycles because they are revolvers.

Me too-- I bought a Heritage Arms Rough Rider w/6.5'' barrel for $149 new-- it has the lr and mag cylinders--

It shoots 100% of everything I put in it-- I stick to Federal Bulk ammo due to the cheap prices--

hands down the most fun shooter I have ever owned!!

Thundar

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Goliath wrote:
I have a Ruger Mark II .22/.45. Has the same grips as the 1911 but shoots .22s I have shot about 1000 rounds so far with never a jam or a misfire. I have been shooting Federal hollowpoints in the bilk pack from Walmart. For the money don't think you can beat it. 20 rounds out of 40 through the 10 ring at 15 yards,so not too bad.

Goliath
I've got the same setup MKII 22/45. I bought the pistol used and have since found out it is 10 years old. You'd never know looking at it. I have the Stainless Steel model with the 5.5" Bull Barrel. It has the familiar 1911 grip angle and the controls (safety & magazine release) are where they are on a 1911. Trigger feels very nice. I've also been using the bulk Federal ammo from walmart and so far 500 rds and no issues at all. The Ruger is a little confusing to take apart at first, but it is not really hard. Try using these instructions, they may help better than the manual: http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

If you get a Ruger, I would look at purchasing a used MKII, rather than the MKIII. The MKIII got "Lawyered up", meaning it hasa Loaded Chamber indicator as well as a Magazine safety. Two things not "required" on any pistol IMO.
My 22/45 Mk III is a great pistol for the range. It is balanced and has a crisp trigger. Gun Tests got a bad 22/45 Mk III and gave it an F, but mine has had no problems shooting. Cleaning is complicated the first time, but gets easier every time.

The loaded Chamber indicator does not get in the way. The magazine safety is a non issue.