Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL - Officer shot trying to stop shoplifter.

Post imported post

Noth sure what tothink about this other than the one shot stop from a .45 didn't work.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...storyid=100886

JACKSONVILLE -- Five year Jacksonville Sheriff's officer Jared Reston is recovering in the hospital after being shot six times by a shoplifting suspect near the Regency Mall.

Police identified the suspect killed by officers as 18-year-old Joel Abner. The suspect under arrest is 20-year-old Christopher Smith.

The incident began at Regency Square Mall at around 7:45 Saturday evening.

Mall security alerted two off-duty JSO officers to two shoplifting suspects.

The suspects apparently engaged security in a physical altercation. The two off-duty officers, Reston, and Chris Brown, took over the situation. Brown was getting the first shoplifting suspect, 20 year old Christopher Smith, under control. But the second suspect, 18 year old Joel Abner, started to run.

The JSO says Officer Reston chased Abner through the mall, through the mall parking lot, over the Arlington Expressway, to the 9400 block of Atlantic Boulevard.

Police say suspect Abner had his hands in the front pocket of his shirt while running from Rustin.

At that point, the JSO Undersheriff Frank Mackesy says, Officer Reston drew his gun.

Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy.

Mackesy says Abner ran into the area of an old retention pond, now dried up, where he turned around, took his hands out of his pockets, and pulled a gun on Officer Reston.

Police say the witness told them Abner shot at Rustin several times before Reston was able to return fire.

The witness told police Reston fell down after being shot. The witness says Abner walked over to the fallen officer and shot him at close range.

Reston was able to get up and was finally able to return fire on the suspect.

Police say 26 rounds were fired - 12 from the suspect's weapon, a 45-caliber semi-automatic Glock handgun.

Police say Abner was shot seven times and died at the scene.

Police were not able to provide the witnesses information, but say he did call 911, and was able to assist Reston after the shooting. Police say the other officer, Brown, arrived at that time, and also assisted Reston.

Reston was shot six times in the face, chest and leg.

Reston underwent surgery at Shands Jacksonville Saturday night for a broken jaw. He remains in serious condition.

Police say Abner was found with a stolen shirt, and was wearing a pair of stolen jeans.

The other shoplifting suspect, Smith, was arrested. He made his first court appearance Sunday afternoon. He faces charges of petty theft under $100 and resisting a retail merchant. Smith has no prior criminal history.

Post imported post

SNIP Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy.
    Being in the navy myself, I'd like to know why it matters that the witness is in the Navy. So what? A witness is a witness.

Post imported post

Just showing what good citizens us squids are.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

AND (notice the 'and') what a horrible article by an incompetent reporterette.

Out-running a cop while keeping his hands in his front pocket? Bushwa! If that were true the the cop needs to be discharged.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

Out-running a cop while keeping his hands in his front pocket? Bushwa! If that were true the the cop needs to be discharged.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******
    The cop was able to keep pace with they guy for several blocks and get back up after being shot 6 times. I'd say he's in good enough shape to do the job.

Post imported post

At that point, the JSO Undersheriff Frank Mackesy says, Officer Reston drew his gun. Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy. Mackesy says Abner ran into the area of an old retention pond, now dried up, where he turned around, took his hands out of his pockets, and pulled a gun on Officer Reston. Police say the witness told them Abner shot at Rustin several times before Reston was able to return fire.

If the officer had his gun out, then how was Abner able to shoot him several times before he was able to return fire?

And who the hell is "Rustin" (still in the original news story linked as well).
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

This reporter need to take writing lessons.

Police say 26 rounds were fired - 12 from the suspect's weapon, a 45-caliber semi-automatic Glock handgun.

So the BG fired 12 shots. But the cop was shot 18 times. Six in the face, six in the chest and six in the leg. Who else shot the cop?

For the sentence to be close to correct, the comma should been after the word times.
    Reston was shot six times, in the face chest and leg.

Post imported post

How do you survive 6 shots to the face by a .45?
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

color of law wrote:

So the BG fired 12 shots. But the cop was shot 18 times. Six in the face, six in the chest and six in the leg. Who else shot the cop?

For the sentence to be close to correct, the comma should been after the word times.
    Shouldln't that be needs?

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    color of law wrote:

There must be something in the water today :P

Post imported post

Just fat fingers and dyslexia. I associate with the little boy got got thrown out of school for bringing a picture of a Gnu.

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    color of law wrote:

LOL -- I've made errors like that myself and hate when it happens.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    Grazes?:what:

Post imported post

PT111 wrote
    Police identified the suspect killed by officers as 18-year-old Joel Abner. The suspect under arrest is 20-year-old Christopher Smith.
    If it would have been a citizen defending themselves, the "suspect" would problably be labeled a victim. Not much of point, just find the media slant humorous at times.

Post imported post

color of law wrote:
    Gotta love the MSM! They get it right every time! :celebrate

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    that's what I'm wondering, too.Hell one shot, alone, should have vaprozed the cop!

Hoping for a full recovery of the officer involved & hope he makes it thru the legal battle that sure to follow.

Post imported post

I will say this, I know for a fact that even non-BGs often choose horrible defensive ammunition. When I shoot the cheapest stuff I can buy at walmart, WWB 9mm 115gr FMJ, it's often not even that enjoyable as it's highly apparent that these rounds aren't very accurate, at least out of my gun. Accuracy varies, sometimes significanlty, between different rounds. I hear people say all the time, a bullet is a bullet, a hole is a hole, etc. To a degree it is, but a .75" diameter expanded hollow point and a .45" diameter FMJ are rather different in size, and the expanded one is likely to cause more damage and to "hit a bit harder" as it will slow down more rapidly. The harder the acceleration ("deceleration"), the more force will be developed for a given mass. Frangible ammunition can also perform quite well in terms of wounding effect and force delivered for obvious reasons.

A regular old non-expanding FMJ at low speeds (Which is especially the case with a .45) seems to make for a nice small wound from entry to exit. It may be a simple case of poor choice of "defensive" ammunition on the part of the criminal. I'd almost go as far as to say that barring a lot of luck there aren't many other ways I could see this happening. I cannot imagine somebody taking 6 Extreme Shock Fang Faces out of any decent hangun (Just for fun lets say 9mm and "up") shared between the head, chest and leg and surviving.

I think many people that don't research or want to learn about things very much often don't put much thought into their ammo choice as they don't think or realize that it does in fact matter.

It did say something about jaw surgery, so maybe it was in the lower head, and with an FMJ, making a very small, relatively clean wound channel. Another thing I was thinking is that hollow points can easily carry debris into the wound with them which I can't imagine would be good for preventing an infection.

Post imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
    SNIP Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy.
    Being in the navy myself, I'd like to know why it matters that the witness is in the Navy. So what? A witness is a witness.
    I was in the Navy once. I was interviewed by a TV station but I was not in the airing because the media cannot just release information about people in the service, or even take statements or such from people in the service. I was told this by my Chief Petty Officer sometime later because it came up that some of the people on base were trying to be interviewed for some kind of local report. I don't know it just sounds like a bunch of red-tape.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
    I will say this, I know for a fact that even non-BGs often choose horrible defensive ammunition.

I cannot imagine somebody taking 6 Extreme Shock Fang Faces out of any decent hangun (Just for fun lets say 9mm and "up") shared between the head, chest and leg and surviving.

Extreme Shock is overpriced crap not good defensive ammo.

Here is some testing on it:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

For a .45 you spend a lot less money and have some of the best ammo out there by going with Federal LE Tactical HST, Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dots in 230gr JHP. (I carry the Federal HST).

Here is more than you ever wanted to know abour defensive ammo selection:

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

Post imported post

Several things;

First; He was probably shot with a .45 GAP not a .45 ACP. (That makes a difference to me.)

Second; It may be that he was wearing a vest, and the only real damage was to his face.

"Reston underwent surgery at Shands Jacksonville Saturday night for a broken jaw. He remains in serious condition."

Third; The vest idea might explain why he could not overtae the perp who had his hand in his shirt. Wearing a vest would slow him down a little, and it would also explain how, after being shot and falling down, he could get back up again.

What ever the reason, he is a lucky man and I hope for a full recovery.

Post imported post

I think the reporter was trying to say he was shot a total of six times.

Post imported post

Maybe the guy had an 18 round mag and was making a point.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you would have been right on his backside when he's armed huh toughguy? How many perps have you run after? Just more cop bashing BS from the same people. You wannabe cops sure do love your cop bashing.

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you would have been right on his backside when he's armed huh toughguy? How many perps have you run after? Just more cop bashing BS from the same people. You wannabe cops sure do love your cop bashing.
    mmmmmm

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Snipped.......
    Nitro.... play nice.

When will you learn that Doug cannot be reasoned with and does not speak for the entire OC group.

It is noble for you to want to discuss issues with him but your are talking to a brick wall. No matter what you say YOU WILL BE WRONG!!

There are far more intelligent people here you can have a meaningful discussion with. When you identify those that lack common sense...please overlook what they post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast