• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FL - Officer shot trying to stop shoplifter.

PT111

imported post

Noth sure what tothink about this other than the one shot stop from a .45 didn't work.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=100886

JACKSONVILLE -- Five year Jacksonville Sheriff's officer Jared Reston is recovering in the hospital after being shot six times by a shoplifting suspect near the Regency Mall.

Police identified the suspect killed by officers as 18-year-old Joel Abner. The suspect under arrest is 20-year-old Christopher Smith.

The incident began at Regency Square Mall at around 7:45 Saturday evening.

Mall security alerted two off-duty JSO officers to two shoplifting suspects.

The suspects apparently engaged security in a physical altercation. The two off-duty officers, Reston, and Chris Brown, took over the situation. Brown was getting the first shoplifting suspect, 20 year old Christopher Smith, under control. But the second suspect, 18 year old Joel Abner, started to run.

The JSO says Officer Reston chased Abner through the mall, through the mall parking lot, over the Arlington Expressway, to the 9400 block of Atlantic Boulevard.

Police say suspect Abner had his hands in the front pocket of his shirt while running from Rustin.

At that point, the JSO Undersheriff Frank Mackesy says, Officer Reston drew his gun.

Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy.

Mackesy says Abner ran into the area of an old retention pond, now dried up, where he turned around, took his hands out of his pockets, and pulled a gun on Officer Reston.

Police say the witness told them Abner shot at Rustin several times before Reston was able to return fire.

The witness told police Reston fell down after being shot. The witness says Abner walked over to the fallen officer and shot him at close range.

Reston was able to get up and was finally able to return fire on the suspect.

Police say 26 rounds were fired - 12 from the suspect's weapon, a 45-caliber semi-automatic Glock handgun.

Police say Abner was shot seven times and died at the scene.

Police were not able to provide the witnesses information, but say he did call 911, and was able to assist Reston after the shooting. Police say the other officer, Brown, arrived at that time, and also assisted Reston.

Reston was shot six times in the face, chest and leg.

Reston underwent surgery at Shands Jacksonville Saturday night for a broken jaw. He remains in serious condition.

Police say Abner was found with a stolen shirt, and was wearing a pair of stolen jeans.

The other shoplifting suspect, Smith, was arrested. He made his first court appearance Sunday afternoon. He faces charges of petty theft under $100 and resisting a retail merchant. Smith has no prior criminal history.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

SNIP Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy.

Being in the navy myself, I'd like to know why it matters that the witness is in the Navy. So what? A witness is a witness.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

AND (notice the 'and') what a horrible article by an incompetent reporterette.

Out-running a cop while keeping his hands in his front pocket? Bushwa! If that were true the the cop needs to be discharged.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

expvideo

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
AND (notice the 'and') what a horrible article by an incompetent reporterette.

Out-running a cop while keeping his hands in his front pocket? Bushwa! If that were true the the cop needs to be discharged.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
The cop was able to keep pace with they guy for several blocks and get back up after being shot 6 times. I'd say he's in good enough shape to do the job.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

At that point, the JSO Undersheriff Frank Mackesy says, Officer Reston drew his gun. Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy. Mackesy says Abner ran into the area of an old retention pond, now dried up, where he turned around, took his hands out of his pockets, and pulled a gun on Officer Reston. Police say the witness told them Abner shot at Rustin several times before Reston was able to return fire.

If the officer had his gun out, then how was Abner able to shoot him several times before he was able to return fire?

And who the hell is "Rustin" (still in the original news story linked as well).

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This reporter need to take writing lessons.

Police say 26 rounds were fired - 12 from the suspect's weapon, a 45-caliber semi-automatic Glock handgun.

So the BG fired 12 shots. But the cop was shot 18 times. Six in the face, six in the chest and six in the leg. Who else shot the cop?

For the sentence to be close to correct, the comma should been after the word times.
Reston was shot six times, in the face chest and leg.

PT111

imported post

color of law wrote:

So the BG fired 12 shots. But the cop was shot 18 times. Six in the face, six in the chest and six in the leg. Who else shot the cop?

For the sentence to be close to correct, the comma should been after the word times.
Shouldln't that be needs?

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

PT111 wrote:
color of law wrote:

There must be something in the water today :p

PT111

imported post

Just fat fingers and dyslexia. I associate with the little boy got got thrown out of school for bringing a picture of a Gnu.:D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
color of law wrote:

LOL -- I've made errors like that myself and hate when it happens.

possumboy

imported post

PT111 wrote
Police identified the suspect killed by officers as 18-year-old Joel Abner. The suspect under arrest is 20-year-old Christopher Smith.
If it would have been a citizen defending themselves, the "suspect" would problably be labeled a victim. Not much of point, just find the media slant humorous at times.

MetalChris

imported post

color of law wrote:
Gotta love the MSM! They get it right every time! :celebrate

:uhoh:

FightingGlock19

imported post

unrequited wrote:
How do you survive 6 shots to the face by a .45?

that's what I'm wondering, too.Hell one shot, alone, should have vaprozed the cop!

Hoping for a full recovery of the officer involved & hope he makes it thru the legal battle that sure to follow.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I will say this, I know for a fact that even non-BGs often choose horrible defensive ammunition. When I shoot the cheapest stuff I can buy at walmart, WWB 9mm 115gr FMJ, it's often not even that enjoyable as it's highly apparent that these rounds aren't very accurate, at least out of my gun. Accuracy varies, sometimes significanlty, between different rounds. I hear people say all the time, a bullet is a bullet, a hole is a hole, etc. To a degree it is, but a .75" diameter expanded hollow point and a .45" diameter FMJ are rather different in size, and the expanded one is likely to cause more damage and to "hit a bit harder" as it will slow down more rapidly. The harder the acceleration ("deceleration"), the more force will be developed for a given mass. Frangible ammunition can also perform quite well in terms of wounding effect and force delivered for obvious reasons.

A regular old non-expanding FMJ at low speeds (Which is especially the case with a .45) seems to make for a nice small wound from entry to exit. It may be a simple case of poor choice of "defensive" ammunition on the part of the criminal. I'd almost go as far as to say that barring a lot of luck there aren't many other ways I could see this happening. I cannot imagine somebody taking 6 Extreme Shock Fang Faces out of any decent hangun (Just for fun lets say 9mm and "up") shared between the head, chest and leg and surviving.

I think many people that don't research or want to learn about things very much often don't put much thought into their ammo choice as they don't think or realize that it does in fact matter.

It did say something about jaw surgery, so maybe it was in the lower head, and with an FMJ, making a very small, relatively clean wound channel. Another thing I was thinking is that hollow points can easily carry debris into the wound with them which I can't imagine would be good for preventing an infection.

SickTag

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
SNIP Mackesy says a driver nearby saw the scene and pulled his car into a nearby parking lot. He says the witness is in the Navy.

Being in the navy myself, I'd like to know why it matters that the witness is in the Navy. So what? A witness is a witness.
I was in the Navy once. I was interviewed by a TV station but I was not in the airing because the media cannot just release information about people in the service, or even take statements or such from people in the service. I was told this by my Chief Petty Officer sometime later because it came up that some of the people on base were trying to be interviewed for some kind of local report. I don't know it just sounds like a bunch of red-tape.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I will say this, I know for a fact that even non-BGs often choose horrible defensive ammunition.

I cannot imagine somebody taking 6 Extreme Shock Fang Faces out of any decent hangun (Just for fun lets say 9mm and "up") shared between the head, chest and leg and surviving.
Extreme Shock is overpriced crap not good defensive ammo.

Here is some testing on it:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

For a .45 you spend a lot less money and have some of the best ammo out there by going with Federal LE Tactical HST, Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dots in 230gr JHP. (I carry the Federal HST).

Here is more than you ever wanted to know abour defensive ammo selection:

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

Sa45auto

imported post

Several things;

First; He was probably shot with a .45 GAP not a .45 ACP. (That makes a difference to me.)

Second; It may be that he was wearing a vest, and the only real damage was to his face.

"Reston underwent surgery at Shands Jacksonville Saturday night for a broken jaw. He remains in serious condition."

Third; The vest idea might explain why he could not overtae the perp who had his hand in his shirt. Wearing a vest would slow him down a little, and it would also explain how, after being shot and falling down, he could get back up again.

What ever the reason, he is a lucky man and I hope for a full recovery.