• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen in Charlottesville

cdpmaster

imported post

A glock was recently stolen while the owner was at church.

It is a Glock 20, so its not the most common caliber out there. More information (including S/N) is available at www.rrpc.org. That site is for Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The gun and the problems that it may cause are now the sole problem of the state. They made the law and now they must deal with the consequences of such illegal legislative actions. I only hope that when the stolen weapon is used it will not be against a good citizen but another criminal.

Neplusultra

imported post

cdpmaster wrote:

It is a Glock 20, so its not the most common caliber out there. More information (including S/N) is available at http://www.rrpc.org. That site is for Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club.
This is EXACTLY why CC permit holders should be able to carry everywhere. I don't want to not carry my gun because I might be going someplace that I can't carry at some point during the day, and yet I don't want to leave it in the car in case someone steals it. If courts, etc, had lock boxes at the door that would be next best......but they don't.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For some reason the web site does not want to cooperate. Question - did the church expressly say no guns allowed, or did the person just nat want to carry in church?

Reason I'm asking is this sounds like another of the "good and sufficient reasons" to keep it with you while in church.

stay safe.

skidmark

Marco

imported post

The problem is everyone who may come into contact with the person(s) that stole it.
I can't imagine they stole it because they wanted a paper weight.
Let's hope they get caught and the gun is recoveredbefore they hurt a innocent person.

posted the story on 10mmtalk as well
[line]
T
aken from link provided by OP

Glock Model 20 - Stolen

[line]

It has been brought to my attention that on last Sunday, January 20, 2008 a car belonging to a member of the club was broken into. The car was parked and locked outside his church during church services.

His Glock pistol and camera were stolen and he has asked me to post the following information in the hopes that one of us may run across it.

Glock Model 20 10mm with night sights and laser
SN AZH099-US

Camera - Kodak Easy Share Model CX6445
SN KCKDP42503179

If you happen to come across either of these you may be dealing with a thief. Please contact the local police and help this man recover his stolen property, get a stolen gun off the street, and hopefully put a thief in jail.

Hmmm... it seems that everyone would have been better off if he were allowed to excercise his second amendment rights while observing his first amendment rights.

eyesopened

imported post

Best he can do is report it to the police. Police will add a tag to the serial number. If the pistol ever turns up to the authorities or sold to a gun store, once they run the serial they'll know it's stolen and they can track it down to the rightful owner. He should have just brought his pistol into church, it is legal to do it as someone suggested, you just have to have "good and sufficient reasons". With the shootings at the Colorado church, that seems good reason to me but YMMV.

Marco

imported post

SNIP/EDIT:
They'll throw it away when they find out how much ammo cost.
Does the local paper allow gun classifieds?

If so, post a WTB (want to buy) ad, one each for the camera and gun with different contact #'s.

EverytimeI buy ammo for my G20 I think, Damn there goes my kids college fund.

Neplusultra

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
SNIP/EDIT:
They'll throw it away when they find out how much ammo cost.
Does the local paper allow gun classifieds?

If so, post a WTB (want to buy) ad, one each for the camera and gun with different contact #'s.

EverytimeI buy ammo for my G20 I think, Damn there goes my kids college fund.
Very good idea!!! I remember when I had a motorcycle stolen, I had just removed the magneto to do some work on it, a friend heard an ad on the radio for a bike like mine that said it didn't run. Probably too stupid to figure out why or didn't want to pay big $$$ for a new magneto. Unfortuneately he couldn't remember which station it was :^(. Place ads everywhere, nothing like catching a thief! Also look for ads for someone trying to sell it too!

PT111

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
cdpmaster wrote:

It is a Glock 20, so its not the most common caliber out there. More information (including S/N) is available at http://www.rrpc.org. That site is for Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club.
This is EXACTLY why CC permit holders should be able to carry everywhere. I don't want to not carry my gun because I might be going someplace that I can't carry at some point during the day, and yet I don't want to leave it in the car in case someone steals it. If courts, etc, had lock boxes at the door that would be next best......but they don't.
I have several items in my car that are much more expensive than my gun and much more difficult to hide. Should I carry them with me at all times? One of them is my camera.

Neplusultra

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
I have several items in my car that are much more expensive than my gun and much more difficult to hide. Should I carry them with me at all times? One of them is my camera.
The idea I was trying to express was not the dollar value of the gun, mine is only $350, but that it's a "gun" that can be used criminally. I wouldn't want my gun to be used to shoot someone in a crime. One reason I will be buying a gun safe as soon as I can afford one even though my total gun collection's net worth is "less" than the cost of the safe I'd like to get :^).

Marco

imported post

SNIP/EDIT:
This is EXACTLY why those that can legally own should be able to carry everywhere.
I have several items in my car that are much more expensive than my gun and much more difficult to hide. Should I carry them with me at all times?
The idea I was trying to express was not the dollar value of the gun,
Do you worry about those items falling into the wrong hands (criminals )and being used to kill/injure innocent people:question:

If so, then yeah but the last timeI looked my Canon (pun intended) didn't fire a projectile.

Neplusultra

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
SNIP/EDIT:
This is EXACTLY why those that can legally own should be able to carry everywhere.
I have several items in my car that are much more expensive than my gun and much more difficult to hide. Should I carry them with me at all times?
The idea I was trying to express was not the dollar value of the gun,
Do you worry about those items falling into the wrong hands (criminals )and being used to kill/injure innocent people:question:

If so, then yeah but the last timeI looked my Canon (pun intended) didn't fire a projectile.
Yea, but you can still shoot people and other things with it :)

Neplusultra

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Noticed a G20 in the "Trading Post" news rag today.
Where abouts? They are mostly a local publication. But the theif may not have been from Cville. I know if I was going to steal something I wouldn't try to sell it in the same location. So perhaps others around Cville can keep an eye open too.

What's the phone number, I'd be willing to call them to about the gun.

eyesopened

DeadCenter

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
hlh wrote:
This is exactly why I have a gun safe in two of my vehicles.
What keeps someone from stealing the safe itself? Not being a smartass just wondering.

I have one of these in mine. It's bolted in so only a really determined thief with a lot of time will be able to get at it:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_Product_Safe_Incar.htm
These Work -- Unless of course the thief is prepared and has bolt cutters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hlh wrote:
Everthing can be defeated. All we can do is increase the difficulty....
Locks* keep honest people honest - and increase the time for the crime.

*Substitute any other securing devise here.

Yata hey