• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Thinking about a .50bmg...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

LOL you have a point. Maybe I should just get one of those Ruger .45/70 single shots and keep max pressure loads for it, plus the recoil is very managable:p

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
LOL you have a point. Maybe I should just get one of those Ruger .45/70 single shots and keep max pressure loads for it, plus the recoil is very managable:p
All you gorrilla sized guys say that, but the reat of use have a different view. But it is damn fun to shoot isn't it?
roflrofl.gif

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
All you gorrilla sized guys say that, but the reat of use have a different view. But it is damn fun to shoot isn't it?
roflrofl.gif
I am tempted to buy one myself. They are a hoot! I want a marlin guide gun first, so I can have a quick follow up shot... Or if I could find one, a Siamese Mauser rechambered for .45/70

John Hardin

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
If I can't kill it with one of my 45/70 hand loads in one of my several different 45/70 Government rifles, I shouldn't be hunting it.
Hunt with a 20mm? I suppose you could, if all you wanted to make was sausage and burgers... :D

uncoolperson

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
If I can't kill it with one of my 45/70 hand loads in one of my several different 45/70 Government rifles, I shouldn't be hunting it.
Hunt with a 20mm? I suppose you could, if all you wanted to make was sausage and burgers... :D

or they ever allow whaling recreationally.
(although i'd recomend against, it really isn't that nummy)

Bear 45/70

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
If my 45/70 Government 405 grain hand loads won't do the job I need to be somewhere else and I don't shoot down planes or at tanks.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Why Bear, are you perpetuatingt the myth that a .50bmg is a terrorist's weapon?:p
Not even (and I know you know better smiley face boy), I would like to add one to the gun room, however I do know for a fact that the 45/70 is enough gun (Marlin leverguns and above pressures)for any animal on earth. The big six has been taken in Africa with a Marlin Guide gun with Randy Garrett's (located in Chehalis, WA)specialty loads, 420 lead hard cast bullets in the 1600 to 1800 fps range. Besides that a terrorist is a person with no moral values and there is no such thing as a terrorist weapon. If there were, box cutters would be class three weapons.

Thundar

imported post

Why is a .50BMG OT for open carry? Is there a law against OC of a .50 BMG rifle in Washington? I know most are big and heavy, but is legally possible to do it?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Urgh. Generally the discussions here are about handguns, plus the issues of rifle OC are kinda sticky in this state.

Given how MOST people will prefer to OC a HANDGUN rifles are more or less off topic.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Urgh. Generally the discussions here are about handguns, plus the issues of rifle OC are kinda sticky in this state.

Given how MOST people will prefer to OC a HANDGUN rifles are more or less off topic.
What????? You've never seen a MA Duce pistol? Just what have you done with your life? Wasted it on boats and working?
missingteeth.gif

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
What????? You've never seen a MA Duce pistol? Just what have you done with your life? Wasted it on boats and working?
missingteeth.gif
Sunshine getting to you a bit much there Bear?:p I'll have you know I have seen a .50bmg pistol. Right after Just_A_Car posted the link.

After the last three days sales, I will agee with the wasted on work bit.

Methinks you are having just a wee too much fun here today at my expense, and probably will have more after the shooting session this week... We'll see how bad I dislocate my shoulder with the Mosin Nagants.:D

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bear

Take a look at what I shoot in my Sharps 45/70

545 gr cast lead, paper patch, 73gr ffg Goex. it is only 1277 fps over the Chroney, but that gives

1974 ft lbs. Enough for anything I hunt.

Attachments

• snowppBullets 007.jpg
    snowppBullets 007.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 109

just_a_car

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Bear

545 gr cast lead, paper patch, 73gr ffg Goex. it is only 1277 fps over the Chroney, but that gives

...or anything dumb enough to try and hunt you.

...Cougar, Black Bear, Grizzley, Sasquatch, etc... :p

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
Bear

...or anything dumb enough to try and hunt you.

...Cougar, Black Bear, Grizzley, Sasquatch, etc... :p
All I use is a 405 LFN over 40 grains of H-4198 for 1600 fps out of the Marlin 1895SS or the Ruger #1 and the only reason it's that fast is it is that is here it ismost accurate. Never had anything but pass thrus and I know it will stop anythingI run into in the woods. I used up to 560 grain bullets but decided I just didn't need that much and the 405s are cheap compared to the bigger bullets. I do use 500 grain bullets in my oringinal 1873 Springfield "Trapdoor" over 70grs FFg for the old time look but prefer the 405s over 55 gns of FFg there to.