• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Having some IRC trouble. Wondering what's the word.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

So, I haven't been able to reliably connect to the IRC server lately, and when I do, it is always empty. I do check occassionally to see if I can get in there, but usually it's at times like now when I've finished my homework and it's half past 11 at night! Oh well, are there any updates or progress Kurt or Rick?

I STILL haven't recieved an email response from my attorney about the tri-fold. I will try contacting him again to see if he's had a chance to peruse it yet. Anywho, how bout a sound off from all the Alabama boys to make sure we're all in the same book, if not necessarily on the same page with this ALFRA thing.

colt45ws

imported post

Just wanted to note I did make an offer for services in the other IRC post, although I can see how it looks odd simply because you dont know me, so Ill half-way try to introduce myself.

Im 19, and live in Eastern Washington (I know, this is the AL forum, but 'IRC' caught my eye..) where the age to carry CC or OC is 21. I dont actually own a gun but I do love them, and would like to have one sometime soon, although there maybe some issues with a gun in this house... I fully support the RKBA and if it helps my case any, I vote RP, lol. Infact, IIRC, this is the site where I first heard about him. (Ive been reading for awhile.)

If I might make a suggustion, maybe if the "howto" was in general more people would see it and connect, since you mentioned there were not many people there.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Hey guys....nothing new here...other than I've been a bit "under the weather" and havn't been online much lately.
Glad to see you're still alive Kurt...I was beginning to wonder...lol
Anyway...wonder if setting up our own IRC channel would help matters any?

flounder22

imported post

Hi guys, Karl here. Glad to see that ya`ll are still alive and kicking. I`ll be checking in here at OCDCevery day or twoas always to see what is happining. Best of luck Andrew with your SCCC endeavor, I`m pulling for you guys. Let us know when you here from the attorney on the tri-fold. See ya.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

flounder22 wrote:
Hi guys, Karl here. Glad to see that ya`ll are still alive and kicking. I`ll be checking in here at OCDCevery day or twoas always to see what is happining. Best of luck Andrew with your SCCC endeavor, I`m pulling for you guys. Let us know when you here from the attorney on the tri-fold. See ya.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I emailed Speaker Hammet (who also happens to be my districts representative) last night about the issue, but my email client (Troy University) is a pain in the ass. Long story short, because it took so long to type the email, I timed out of the client, so when I clicked send, it prompted me to login and I lost the entire email. I was so pissed that I didn't type it again... maybe tonight.

The empty holster protest is looking like it's going to be big this year. I applied for the Troy Campus leader position, and have a FEW people showing SOME interest. In a school of only roughly 6000 students though, you can't expect an overwhelming majority to support your cause (probably 1000 of those are international students from China, Korea, Japan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, etc...).

This is not necessarily just an SCCC cause. I think that the ALFRA should embrace this cause as well. After all, Open Carry may be important, but it is not the only issue we are facing.

Also, to Kurt and Rick, something came to my attention looking over the tri-fold the other day. In the quote of Section 13A-11-52 (premises not his own), the word CONCEALED was in the actual wording of the law. This does not exist.This is why my lawyer and I asserted in my case that only LICENSED OC was legal on the property of others (13A-11-73 "provided otherwise"). According to the online copy of the CoA 1975, our wording is wrong in that document, and we should probably look at fixing it.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 Wrote:
Also, to Kurt and Rick, something came to my attention looking over the tri-fold the other day. In the quote of Section 13A-11-52 (premises not his own), the word CONCEALED was in the actual wording of the law. This does not exist. This is why my lawyer and I asserted in my case that only LICENSED OC was legal on the property of others (13A-11-73 "provided otherwise"). According to the online copy of the CoA 1975, our wording is wrong in that document, and we should probably look at fixing it.
Not sure what you mean exactly....the word concealed is not in CoA sec 52...nor in the quote in the tri-fold.
In fact, the qoute was copied and pasted from the CoA site......

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Okay, let me look at it again... probably a sign of my ever intensifying insanity.

Edited to add:

You are right. I am losing it. I need a week off...

Kingfish

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Okay, let me look at it again... probably a sign of my ever intensifying insanity.

Edited to add:

I was going to say something but then I thought I was starting (well, continuing) to lose it.

Oh and as far as IRC, it appears nobody sees what I type (or you are ignoring me) and then I get disconnected. Worked fine till about what...a week ago?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

kingfish wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:

Edited to add:

I was going to say something but then I thought I was starting (well, continuing) to lose it.

Oh and as far as IRC, it appears nobody sees what I type (or you are ignoring me) and then I get disconnected. Worked fine till about what...a week ago?

have you tried http://www.mibbit.com ? That's what i've been using lately and it's been working, although until tonight, I haven't been able to catch anyone on...

I also don't think anyone's ignoring you. Like me, Rick and Kurt both log in and then minimize the window and only check in periodically. I've missed messages before like that and didn't get them until the receiver had logged out. The only way for this IRC thing to work effectively would really be for us to coordinate another time for us ALL to get on.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 Wrote:
I also don't think anyone's ignoring you. Like me, Rick and Kurt both log in and then minimize the window and only check in periodically. I've missed messages before like that and didn't get them until the receiver had logged out. The only way for this IRC thing to work effectively would really be for us to coordinate another time for us ALL to get on.
I try not to ignore anyone but, I do minimize the window and do other things at times....I'm not sure how it's done but, if you send a message directly to a user, it will cause the taskbar icon to flash and get their attention.
I know Andrew and Mike both know how to do this....maybe they can teach me...lol
I will try to be on every afternoon between 5 and 6....

colt45ws

imported post

Usually the task bar will flash if you say the persons nick you want to talk to. Most clients let you tab search through nicks. Like type "r" and then tab and "Rick" pops up.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I use a browser client, so there is no notification to me if someone is talking and I'm looking at another window. A lot of times, when I'm buried in my laptop I'm doing genealogical research so I'm usually pretty focused. I do try to check it every 30 minutes or so if I am logged in.

colt45ws

imported post

Pretty much the same way with me. Except I use a text-based client. It also does not give notifications. Most GUI clients will though.

vmathis12019 wrote:
I use a browser client, so there is no notification to me if someone is talking and I'm looking at another window. A lot of times, when I'm buried in my laptop I'm doing genealogical research so I'm usually pretty focused. I do try to check it every 30 minutes or so if I am logged in.