• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Draft legislation on Concealment in CT

Edward Peruta

imported post

This bill was drafted by DPS but will not be introduced in the 2008 session.

[align=left]To all Connecticut Permit holders:[/align]

[align=left]The following text was scanned from a document obtained from the Connecticut Department of Public Safety pursuant to a Freedom of Information Request on January 28, 2008.[/align]

[align=left]If concealment was currently mandated by law in the State of Connecticut, this proposed legislation would not have been drafted.[/align]

[align=left]This proposed legislation IS NOT part of the legislative package being submitted by The Department of Public Safety in the coming 2008 session of the Connecticut Legislature, but don’t be surprised if they find another way to get it introduced.
[/align]

[align=left]Insert Fully Drafted Bill

New Statute Concerning Carrying a Pistol or Revolver Concealed:

(NEW) Carrying a pistol or revolver concealed. Exceptions. Penalties. (Effective October 1, 2008):

(a) Any person carrying a pistol or revolver, pursuant to the provisions of section 29-35, shall conceal such pistol or revolver and shall behave in a prudent and responsible manner so as not to cause alarm.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or any current or retired law enforcement officer qualified and annually certified under the provisions of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, 18 USC 926B and 926C, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined by section 27-103, or of this state, as defined by section 27-2, when such member of the armed forces is on duty or going to or from duty.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of subsection (a) of this section shall: (1) For conviction of a first offense, (A) be fined not less than five hundred dollars or more than two thousand dollars, and (B) be imprisoned not more than one year; and (2) for a subsequent conviction of this offense, (A) be fined not less than two thousand dollars or more than five thousand dollars, and (B) be imprisoned not more than five years.

[/align]

LQM

imported post

It is interesting that the State will not admit to what is fact. However, my thinking is that when pushed; as the above post shows, what they will do is tighten the requirement so much that a technical violation will be all that's needed to prosecute. Is this new addition to the statute a result of this?

I would rather they comply with the statute as written. It seem pretty clear to me. But that's only my opinion; we all have one.

I may not have all the facts. I'm new to this debate, but have been watching it for some time.

PavePusher

imported post

I have to wonder if drafting legislation is within the scope of DPS duties. Surely their job is to enforce the existing laws, not come up with new ones?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Just a note, this was considered butNOT includedin the legislations proposed by DPS.

But don't be suprised or caught off guard if DPS finds a friendly legislator to introduce mandatory concealmentin the 2008 session.

There are five (5) changes or additions proposed by DPS that were obtained through a Freedom of Information request.

1. Changing the blood alcohol level from .10 to .08 while carrying a weapon.

2. Increasing from 8 to 12 weeks the time to issue a permit

3. Annual firearms refresher training for Bail Enforcement Agents

4. A requirement that 30 days notice be given DPS for Gun Shows.

5. An exception to carrying a Facsimile firearm etc. for those involved with a state certified production company.

DPS has an Attorney named Steven Spellman on staff that handles their legislative affairs.

buketdude

imported post

they don't need 12 weeks...i recieved mine in 16 days.....and .08 or.10?? is that really much of a difference....these anti-gun states that surround us must be spreading there anti-freedom agenda to CT...

Mainsail

imported post

…so as not to cause alarm…
That’s too vague. In fact, such a vague phraseology would likely be ruled unconstitutional here in WA. How would I, as a concealed carrier, be able to determine what would cause alarm in someone else so that I could remain legal?

Kimber

imported post

buketdude wrote:
they don't need 12 weeks...i recieved mine in 16 days.....and .08 or.10?? is that really much of a difference....these anti-gun states that surround us must be spreading there anti-freedom agenda to CT...

How long ago did you get your permit?

When I got mine three years ago, it took them roughly 6 months to clear me.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The Connecticut Department of Public Safety is seeking to introduce a change in the law that will change the mandated time to make a permit determination from 8 weeks to 12 weeks.

In the twenty first century, law enforcement has access to various computer databases that allow instant access to a host of background information on which to base their decision to issue or deny a pistol permit application.

I personally know of a situation where an individual took the certified class on a Thursday, submittedthe local appllication of Friday, was issued the temporary state permit on Monday and obtained the permanent five year state permit on Tuesday.

In another recent case, a permit was issued in 10 to 14 days.

If you have been fingerprinted for any reason in the past, NO new fingerprints are required as stated in small print on the bottom of the application's first page.

And if you are fortunate to be known personally by the local issuing authority, the process can be completed in days, not weeks.

READ THE LAWS AND YOU WILL FIND YOUR ANSWERS.

buketdude

imported post

Kimber wrote:
buketdude wrote:

How long ago did you get your permit?

When I got mine three years ago, it took them roughly 6 months to clear me.
I think mine was 4-5 years ago....I got mine from the Town of Windsor....maybe some towns take longer...