• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OMG, WOW I CAN"T BELIEVE THIS!!!!!! GO SENATOR ROACH!!

XD45PlusP

imported post

GO SENATOR ROACH, SENATOR STEVENS, AND SENATOR DELVIN!!

"Prohibiting institutions of higher education from adopting rules concerning the possession of firearms."

SB 6860 http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=6860&year=2008

"Institutions of higher education, as defined in RCW 28B.10.016(4), shall not adopt any rules restricting or prohibiting the possession of firearms in any institutionally owned or controlled lands, buildings, or facilities by any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol.

YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT!!! :celebrate

Please email these Pro 2nd Amendment Rights Legislators, and thank them for their views and hard work, and GUTS

Senator Delvin http://apps.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/MailForm.aspx?Chamber=S&District=8

Senator Stevens http://apps.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/MailForm.aspx?Chamber=S&District=39

Senator Roach http://apps.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/MailForm.aspx?Chamber=S&District=31

WOW

XD45PlusP

expvideo

imported post

email sent:
Thank you for having the courage to support a bill that would help to protect our college students. I was appauled by the incident at Virginia Tech, especially when I learned that several of the students have concealed weapon permits and had left their guns at home that day. If that school hadn't been able to outlaw guns on their campus, those students would have been able to stop Cho, before he killed so many people. The laws in place effectively prevented anyone that could have made a difference from doing so, while they didn't stop Cho from killing people, because if you are bent on killing, a law saying that you can't carry a gun is going to be meaningless to you. I imagine with your support of this bill that I am probably preaching to the choir. I just wanted to take the time to thank you for taking this bold stance, and standing up for what's right.

surfj9009

imported post

And here is my letter to my locals (Spokane). I also sent a different one to the sponsors to thank them.

I just wanted to send a quick note to ask for your support for 6860.

Most common sense individuals know that gun free zones are victim rich environments. Criminals are certainly aware of this.

Law abiding teachers, professors and students should be able to protect themselves at anytime within the limits of our states law. This bill will allow our citizens to be more protected while at school. As a law abiding gun owner, if some meth addict who loses his mind and comes into my classroom someday, I would certainly want to protect myself so I can go home to my wife and kids.

As a member of your district, I hope you will support this bill for the safety of all Washington students and educators. Our families depend on you.

44Brent

imported post

FRP ALERT: Campus Carry Showdown, 2-7-08 at 10:00am in Olympia!

In case you haven't seen the GOAL Alert below already, pass it on to every list or website you know of that college students read. Campus Protection has been introduced in the Senate, to counter the campus gun ban bill, and it's officially on! The hearing for both bills will be in the J.A. Cherberg Building, Senate Hearing Room 3, at 10:00am.

Now is not the time for students to be intimidated away by threats of "repercussions". Intimidation is how bullies operate, so don't let it work. The people in authority at colleges are only concerned about their monopoly on power, and will resort to anything to stop campus protection from happening. They will let Rebecca Griego and Virginia Tech happen a hundred times over to stop you from exercising authority and power to protect your lives, because when that happens, it means the job got done without them, and their power over you is diminished. They don't care about your safety, so you have no reason to care what they think. Administrator types will be the primary opposition we'll be facing in the room. There's also a possibility of a police chief or two showing up to voice their "concerns" about non-uniformed students possessing guns during a violent episode. It's the same thing with them, they also consider the exercise of force to be their sole domain, and are only concerned about being the only ones who are armed when they show up.

The thing about bullies is that they are all paper tigers when you make it clear that not only will their intimidation tactics not be tolerated, they will be used to bite them with, and publicly expose the bullies for what they are.

The Higher Education Committee has given us what we've wanted, an all or nothing showdown between the two sides. It's an opportunity we will likely not see again. If gas is a problem, borrow money. I'll drive some people there myself from the Seattle area, and I'll donate some money to carpools if you get in touch. If you have stage fright, get over it, because this will be decided by the number of people present who are willing to stand up, speak and be counted. (Written testimony is an acceptable alternative though.) The committee would not have arranged for this showdown unless they were willing to actually pass Campus Protection out of committee, if they are sufficiently impressed, so it's a certainty that one of these two bills WILL be passed out of committee.

As you all know, this is about far more than just a gun issue, it's about people's lives. The lives of your fellow students, your teachers and staff, and you. If we miss this opportunity, and lives on campus are lost again in this state, we will have to live with the fact that we failed them ourselves. So let's pull the stops out and win this one.

These are the emails for the Senate Higher Education Committee. Whether you can make it to the hearing or not, contact them right away to urge support for HB 6860, and thank them for this generous opportunity.

"Senate Higher Education":shin.paull@leg.wa.gov, kilmer.derek@leg.wa.gov, delvin.jerome@leg.wa.gov, berkey.jean@leg.wa.gov, schoesler.mark@leg.wa.gov, sheldon.timothy@leg.wa.gov;

The sponsors of HB 6860 are Pam Roach (prime sponsor), Val Stevens, and Jerome Delvin. Also write to them and thank them profusely for tackling this issue for us.

roach.pam@leg.wa.gov
stevens.val@leg.wa.gov
delvin.jerome@leg.wa.gov

Also, a website devoted to Washington State campus carry related legislation is under construction by a campus leader for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. The site will be at: http://www.campuscarrylegislation.com/ . It should be up in a day or two, so check back, developments and alerts will be posted there, and there will probably be an alert list to sign up for as well.

Sincerely,

Kevin Schmadeka
Freedom Restoration Project of Washington
frp-wa@mindspring.com
360 757-7122

heresolong

imported post

So here's a question. We have Delvin and Sheldon on our side in committee. Anyone know where Shin, Kilmer, Berkey, or Schoesler stand? We need one of them to kill the bad bill and two of them to advance the good bill. Hopefully Shoesler (R) is one of ours. That leaves us in need of one more. The other two are north side of Seattle. Anyone in those districts that can give us an idea of what to expect?

just_a_car

imported post

Shin is 99% anti-gun. I saw this on the video from the testimony for the Higher Education Committee back on January 24th. Even some of the Democrats were making pro-gun questions and statements, which blew me away, while Shin kept fast to his anti-gun rhetoric.

This disappoints me as he's the senator from my legislative district.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I need to check my work schedule, but I am almost 100% certain I cannot make it. Anyone want to come down the night before though, let me know, two days ahead of time, and I'll get my boat looking like a civilized person lives on it and you can crash there.... Bring your own bedding...

uncoolperson

imported post

Kohl-Welles, Shin, McAuliffe, Fairley, and McDermott Are the Sponsors of SB 6304
"Allowing institutions of higher education to adopt rules regulating firearms on campus."

Murray, Jacobsen, Kline, Shin, Kohl-Welles are the Sponsors of SB 6841
"Restricting possession of weapons at institutions of higher education."

heresolong

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
Kohl-Welles, Shin, McAuliffe, Fairley, and McDermott Are the Sponsors of SB 6304
"Allowing institutions of higher education to adopt rules regulating firearms on campus."

Murray, Jacobsen, Kline, Shin, Kohl-Welles are the Sponsors of SB 6841
"Restricting possession of weapons at institutions of higher education."
Well, that makes that fairly clear.

Stealth Potato

imported post

Well, I'll have to skip a class Thursday morning, but I can definitely make it to this! Fortunately, my work schedule is completely empty on Thursdays. I will probably need to catch a ride with somebody, though.