• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

changed my address on CL today "bullsh*t"

tnshooter

State Researcher
imported post

So I am moving and went into the dmv in cleveland tn and just wanted to follow the rules and do the right thing and change my address. so I go up to the counter and tell the lady what I wanted to do and she hands me two pieces of paper and tells me to fill them out. one for the DL and one for the CL. No big deal on the DL but the other one was the same form I had to fill out to get my carry permit? WTH? Anyway I fill out the required paper work and proceed back to the counter, she ask me for my birth certificate? WTH? ok I said I don't have it and she explained that we can go no further with the carry permit. So go get my BC and return, she does the application and charges me five dollars and tells me my permit will arrive in 4-6 weeks after it clears another background check. She said if nothing has changed no arrests, warrants, or any kinda of trouble should be no problem. Keep in mind I have had my permit over a year and no probs what so ever, and all I wanted was to change the address. Has anyone else ran into this?

Slightly frustrated in TN

Fallguy

imported post

Wow, either things have changed or you got someone who didn't know what they were doing. Last time I needed to change my address I did it online. https://www.tennesseeanytime.org/chgdl/and http://state.tn.us/safety/handgun/duplicate.htmAnd since you DL and HCP info is the same and they are really part of the same database, guess everyone has noticed the number is the same, it takes care of both at the same time.

It sounds like the $5 was for a duplicate HCP.

FightingGlock19

imported post

I know when I changed the address on my KY permit, I just had to fill out an application stating the address had changed. No fees to pay. Two weeks later, my new permit showed up @ the Sherriff's Office.

Maybe TN did change some of the CCDW Permit things?

tnshooter

State Researcher
imported post

tonyparson wrote:
this is what it says on the the state web sit

https://www.tennesseeanytime.org/chgdl/.

If you wish to receive a permit with your new address, or if you have misplaced or lost your handgun carry permit, you will need to apply for a duplicate.
I found out after the fact, that I only need to to "notify" an address change. This is what I get for listening to my instructor that gave the permit class instead of researching this for myself. It would have been nice if they had informed me about this at the dmv also. Oh well, lesson learned.

Fallguy

imported post

tnshooter wrote:
I found out after the fact, that I only need to to "notify" an address change. This is what I get for listening to my instructor that gave the permit class instead of researching this for myself. It would have been nice if they had informed me about this at the dmv also. Oh well, lesson learned.

Between what I've seen on this and other forums...I have to say that amount of mis-information or non-information provided by HCP instructors in TN is somewhat alarming.

Of course it doesn't help that TN law isn't very clear in some spots. Also the issuing agency inTN, unlike many other states, hasn't issued a clear and concise document about gun and carry laws and other pertanant information. I know there is a link on the state's website with a list of some of the relevant laws, but it still leaves it up to you to look these up and interpret them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Does TN require address change notification for CHPs? If so, this should be abolished - VA, PA, and may other states have no such requirement.

Fallguy

imported post

Mike wrote:
Does TN require address change notification for CHPs? If so, this should be abolished - VA, PA, and may other states have no such requirement.

Yes.

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgun/duplicate.htm

By law if you move, you are required to notify us of your new address within sixty (60) days. You may notify the Department of Safety to change your address on our records, by calling toll-free 1-866-849-3548 or online at https://www.tennesseeanytime.org/chgdl/.

If you wish to receive a permit with your new address, or if you have misplaced or lost your handgun carry permit, you will need to apply for a duplicate.

buketdude

imported post

damn..we have 48 hours in CT....but you just email them...no paperwork.$$....unless you want a new permit that shows your new address..but i don't think most people care..

SpringerXDacp

imported post

In Michigan;

Per Michigan State Police:

4. I received my original Concealed Pistol License after July 1, 2001 and have since moved to another county. Do I need to reapply in the new county? No. The Concealed Pistol License is a state license and a change of county residency does not change the status. However, when your license expires, the renewal of that licenseshould occur inyournew county of residence.

Just a FWIW.

TN_TITANS

imported post

Should have done that online. Very simple.

tnshooter wrote:
So I am moving and went into the dmv in cleveland tn and just wanted to follow the rules and do the right thing and change my address. so I go up to the counter and tell the lady what I wanted to do and she hands me two pieces of paper and tells me to fill them out. one for the DL and one for the CL. No big deal on the DL but the other one was the same form I had to fill out to get my carry permit? WTH? Anyway I fill out the required paper work and proceed back to the counter, she ask me for my birth certificate? WTH? ok I said I don't have it and she explained that we can go no further with the carry permit. So go get my BC and return, she does the application and charges me five dollars and tells me my permit will arrive in 4-6 weeks after it clears another background check. She said if nothing has changed no arrests, warrants, or any kinda of trouble should be no problem. Keep in mind I have had my permit over a year and no probs what so ever, and all I wanted was to change the address. Has anyone else ran into this?

Slightly frustrated in TN

massltca

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
Mike wrote:

Yes.

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgun/duplicate.htm

By law if you move, you are required to notify us of your new address within sixty (60) days. You may notify the Department of Safety to change your address on our records, by calling toll-free 1-866-849-3548 or online at https://www.tennesseeanytime.org/chgdl/.

This is much easier than when I lived in Mass. There you have to send a change of address form to the police chief that issued the license, the CHSB and the police chief in the town you move to. Real pain in the neck. :X