• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: signing a traffic ticket?

LEO 229

imported post

Each state will vary on the signature requirement.

In those states where the person is required to sign it is NEVER an admission of guilt. It is only an acknowledgement that you have received the ticket and that you understand you must appear in court or pay a fine.

Think of it this way.. The signature is actually could be for YOUR protection.

I could easily write up a ticket and turn it in and when you do not show up for court... the judge issue a bench warrant on you. What proof would you have that I never gave you a ticket?? ;)

Edit: The OP has clearly identified this is off topic but it still does deal with rights and freedoms. These are thingsthat many members here feel are important and want to discuss.

Furthermore... if you were to be stopped for a gun related crime and requested to sign the ticket... you know why you are required to do so. (So now are are talking about gun issues so this is gun related after all and appropriate)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

In those states where the person is required to sign it is NEVER an admission of guilt. It is only an acknowledgement that you have received the ticket and that you understand you must appear in court or pay a fine.

Think of it this way.. The signature is actually could be for YOUR protection.

I could easily write up a ticket and turn it in and when you do not show up for court... the judge issue a bench warrant on you. What proof would you have that I never gave you a ticket?? ;)

Edit: The OP has clearly identified this is off topic but it still does deal with rights and freedoms. These are thingsthat many members here feel are important and want to discuss.

Furthermore... if you were to be stopped for a gun related crime and requested to sign the ticket... you know why you are required to do so. (So now are are talking about gun issues so this is gun related after all and appropriate)
Lot's of ways you could prove it. For Example prove you and your car were out of town, for one.

LEO 229

imported post

Venator wrote:
Lot's of ways you could prove it. For Example prove you and your car were out of town, for one.
True.. but what happens if I stop you and let you go.. only to issue a ticket in your name you knew nothing about?? Not that this would ever happen.... :lol:

But if a bad cop really wanted to mess with you....;)

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Venator wrote:
True.. but what happens if I stop you and let you go.. only to issue a ticket in your name you knew nothing about?? Not that this would ever happen.... :lol:

But if a bad cop really wanted to mess with you....;)
If a cop stops you and lets you go, you are generallyissued a warning. That's the point of a warning ticket; you now have a paper trail that proves you weren't actually given a ticket. If the cop then tries to write a ticket andputs "subject refused" on the sig line, you have proof that the encounter with the officer DID NOT in fact result in a ticket and therefore the ticket is fraudulent.

LEO 229

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
If a cop stops you and lets you go, you are generallyissued a warning. That's the point of a warning ticket; you now have a paper trail that proves you weren't actually given a ticket. If the cop then tries to write a ticket andputs "subject refused" on the sig line, you have proof that the encounter with the officer DID NOT in fact result in a ticket and therefore the ticket is fraudulent.
Guess you have never heard of giving an "oral warning" to the motorist.

Manydepartments allow this.

But we are now straying from the already "off topic" event.. :lol:

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Liko81 wrote:

I've heard of it, never experienced it; Texas not only doesn't allow verbal warnings (if they light you up, you get a copy of the written results, ticket or otherwise) but they don't allow motorists to refuse to sign; if you won't agree to enter a plea at the sceneand/or show up, they hold you until you can go before a judge. This is mostly because of all the reasons aforementioned; it keeps both the motorist and the officer honest.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Liko81 wrote:

When issued an oral warning is there any record of the stop? Dispatch recordings, logs? Or can you stop anybody at anytime without any record? Just wondering.

LEO 229

imported post

Venator wrote:
When issued an oral warning is there any record of the stop? Dispatch recordings, logs? Or can you stop anybody at anytime without any record? Just wondering.
Not always. You do not have to mark out.... you should...

ijusam

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

In Delaware (as of the last ticket I got) a ticket is written up as a voluntary assessment and your signature is an admission of guilt. procedures state that if you wish to contest the ticket you must submit written notice by __ days and your plea will be changed to a plea of not guilty. when you sign you are admitting guilt. but if you don't sign (the DSP told me)you get a ride to the JP. Also in Delaware most traffic offences are misdemeanors.

LEO 229

imported post

ijusam wrote:
In Delaware (as of the last ticket I got) a ticket is written up as a voluntary assessment and your signature is an admission of guilt. procedures state that if you wish to contest the ticket you must submit written notice by __ days and your plea will be changed to a plea of not guilty. when you sign you are admitting guilt. but if you don't sign (the DSP told me)you get a ride to the JP. Also in Delaware most traffic offences are misdemeanors.

Really....

That is very odd.... they want you to confess to the violation or go to jail??