Thread: Dulles Toll Road

Post imported post

I have heard or read somewhere that no guns are allowed when traveling on the Dulles Toll Road in Northern VA. I am looking for clarification on this law? Does it mean no OC? Is one allowed to CC with a permit? Do any guns need to be in a locked container? Or is it zero weapons in any vehicle, no matter what?

Thanks for any help and clarification.

Post imported post

Very helpful article. It was in 2004, has nothing changed on this matter since then?

My interpretation is that I may OC or CC my sidearm on Dulles Toll Road. That is correct, right?

Post imported post

I found this too.

http://www.ravnwood.com/archives/003682.php

I am not aware of anything that would allow the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority to establish their own firearms laws in the state of Virginia. And this posts suggests that I would be correct.

Putting an area under the jurisdiction of Capitol Police doesn't magically turn it into Washington D.C. property.

Post imported post

VA took back its Dulles property and you can carry up to the door of the building at Dulles Airport. VCDL should have something on it.

Post imported post

.....and even sandbags --

Somebody has to splain that to me.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    .....and even sandbags --

Somebody has to splain that to me.

*GUESSING*

Sandbags are pretty good bullet stoppers. So perhaps sandbags are considered dangerous, because when combined with a rifle for example, a bad guy would be able to take shots while return fire would be stopped.

???

I know, it's a crazy guess. But I have a vivid imagination.

Post imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
    VA took back its Dulles property and you can carry up to the door of the building at Dulles Airport.
    That is correct for Dulles and National.

Be careful at regional-type airports. The regional and local-yokel strips may have "no guns" signs posted at the property boundary, which could create a "trespassing" argument for some overzealous sort.

Post imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
    cREbralFIX wrote:
    VA took back its Dulles property and you can carry up to the door of the building at Dulles Airport.
    That is correct for Dulles and National.

Be careful at regional-type airports. The regional and local-yokel strips may have "no guns" signs posted at the property boundary, which could create a "trespassing" argument for some overzealous sort.
    I've been flying since 2001, and been to a crapload of airports up and down the east coast, all general aviation, and I've never seen such a thing. A private terminal/FBO doesn't meet the deff. of air carrier terminal in VA law except in rare cases (none of which exist in VA, I think (not positive however)

Post imported post

Norfolk Airport had some signage to this effect, but VCDL called them on it.

But, since the BS rules were the product of local ordinances, they got shot down on pre-emption grounds.

See http://thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-15306.html

That's not to say that a private airstrip couldn't post their own no-guns allowed rule.

I'm glad to hear that you have seen a wide spectrum of airports, and this sort of nonsense has not come to your attention. Please let us know if it does.

Post imported post

Per pre-emption, Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority has no authority to make any firearms regs. In the past the authority had been causing problems along the road, but they were reigned in on it.

15.2-915. (Preemption)

Snip....The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility. ...Snip.

You are legal to open or conceal carry as long as you are outside the terminal building. State law then makes it illegal inside the terminal building.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.