• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms on WMA's

bruins499

imported post

I plan on going to one of the WMA this weekend to shoot some skeet. I am wondering what everyone interpritation is on this rule. I have emailed VA game dept. but have not got a response yet. I wish to carry my 1911 , but I would like to possibly open carry . I have a CHP and can carry concealed if they respond to my email against open carry. There rule says "it is illegal to [*]Have a loaded firearm or a firearm with an attached magazine from which all shells have not been removed in or on any vehicle or land conveyance or its attachments. You can have a loaded clip or magazine in the vehicle as long as it is not in or attached to the firearm, except for concealed weapons permit holders."Does this mean that I can carry my firearm holstered in plain sight since i have a CHP or must it be concealed? The rule says you only have to have a permit it doesnt say anything about the manner the firearm must be carried in.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

It's unclear. If you have a CHP then you should be able to carry anyway you want. As in public, just because you have a CHP doesn't mean you can't OC. Your probably better off carrying concealed.

doug23838

imported post

I have OC'd at Amelia WMA, and had an encounter with a Game Warden. Nothing was said about my OC.

Something was said about me shooting on the sight in range when it was closed. He was professional, polite, said "don't do it again" and we parted company.

I do agree, we need the preemption to kick in on these properties as well.

Spectre

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
I have OC'd at Amelia WMA, and had an encounter with a Game Warden. Nothing was said about my OC.

Something was said about me shooting on the sight in range when it was closed. He was professional, polite, said "don't do it again" and we parted company.

Same thing happened to me but I got a ticket. Lucky the judge dismissed it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Spectre wrote:
doug23838 wrote:

Same thing happened to me but I got a ticket. Lucky the judge dismissed it.
what was the charge Spectre?

bruins499

imported post

Okay well here is the email i Sent to DGIF and there response. looks like as long as you have a CHP you can carry any way you like on a WMA.

From: Mike.Minarik@dgif.virginia.gov Sent: Fri 2/01/08 10:01 PM To: bruins499@hotmail.com .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass EC_BODY.hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} [align=left]Our WMA regs allow you to carry a pistol, concealed or open, if you have a CWP. You may NOT shoota pistolat our WMA ranges.[/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]Skeet shooting isNOT allowed at Chickahominy Range. I cannot speak for other ranges.[/align]
[line] From: Nick Burdyck [mailto:bruins499@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 2:09 PM
To: dgifweb
Subject: Rules and Regulations

I plan on going to one of the Gun ranges this weekend to shoot skeet. Normally I carry a loaded hangun with me everywhere allowed.
Depending on the weather I sometimes Conceal Carry and sometime Open carry. I have a VA Permit for a Concealed handgun. Now my question is
in your rules and regulations it say
"
· Have a loaded firearm or a firearm with an attached magazine from which all shells have not been removed in or on any vehicle or land conveyance or its attachments. You can have a loaded clip or magazine in the vehicle as long as it is not in or attached to the firearm, except for concealed weapons permit holders."
Does this mean that I can carry my firearm holstered in plain sight since i have a CHP or must it be concealed? The rule says that a person with a CHP can carry but does not state the manner in which he can. So since it doesnt say you cant does that mean you can?

Thank you for your time,

Nick Burdyck