• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An unusual way to carry a handgun

tattedupboy

imported post

I work as a security officer (armed, of course) at a check cashing store and one day last week while on duty, one of the employees sent me across the street to Church's Chicken to pick up some food for her. The restaurant was mostly empty except for one customer who was in line in front of me, placing an order. While waiting forhim to finish, I noticed thegrip of what appeared to be a .38 Taurus airweight sticking out of the pocket of his pants; he was wearing a pair of black khakis, and the gun was in a pocket on the lower part of his leg, the one in which a cell phone is supposed to put.

Anyway, as soon as I had a chance to make eye contact with the man, I asked him if the gun was a Taurus. He said yes, and that it was a .38 special Taurus airweight. He also told me that he had bought it at the nearby Cabela's that had recently opened and that there were great deals there on everything, including Glocks and Smith and Wessons.

Afterward, I called my brother, who is also my boss, and told him about it. I did not mention anything to the man about it, but I really wanted to ask him how well he is able to retain his weapon carrying like that. I can probably already guess that most of you here would probably not recommend that mode of carry; I certainly would not, simply due to the fact that weapon retention would be difficult carrying this way. Have any of you ever seen anyone carrying this way? What do you think?

savery

imported post

I've seen North American Arms revolvers with knife like grips complete with a pocket clip. Its a single action .22, so it's made to be carried in a similar fashion to a knife.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

My question is, if you carried with the grip sticking out of your pocket, but it was carried in a pocket and the grip was plainly visible, would that be considered to be concealed?

FogRider

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
My question is, if you carried with the grip sticking out of your pocket, but it was carried in a pocket and the grip was plainly visible, would that be considered to be concealed?

Not likely. Plainly visible is sorta completly opposite of concealed. It is probably going to depend on the cop. Does he want you to conceal? He may say you are OC'ing. Does he want you to OC? He may say you are attempting to conceal. Of course, this could just be the pessimist in me talking.