Thread: OC (Hurricane West Virginia)

Post imported post

Hi folks, new member. I've been reading a few things on this forum about OC here in West Virginia. I saw something regarding Charleston and Dunbar though that caught my attention.

Is OC in jepardy across the state? Is it still safe to carry in Hurricane WV? I prefer to open carry and not concealed carry. I myself am a firm supporter of "the presence of a weapon can also deter a crime".I don't want to concealbecausemaking public that I'm armed is more likely to deter a person from robbing me if they see I'm packing heat. I'd ratherskip thewhole introduction and small talk of "hands up give me your dough". I don't want to even let it get to that point. Is it still safe to carry in Hurricane or is our city next???

Post imported post

curious to know this as well, as I will be there this weekend

State Researcher

Post imported post

Based on my experience OC is very uncommon in West Virginia. I do not believe Hurricane (nor any other town in Putnam County) has grandfathered ordinances. You may be interested to know that Hurricane's mayor has a CHL.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

back from wv. Might I say it was nice to see at least one opne cary while there.

IHOP just south of Charleston. never a word or funny look.

Post imported post

Hi. I live just outside of Hurricane, and I've been watching the Open Carry Forum for quite a while.

I've open carried while out on private property, but never in 'the city'. I'm still unsure of how I'd be treated by LEO's. Anyone else in the Hurricane/Huntington neck of the woods have any experience ?

BTW, on Monday I did see someone OC'ing at the Super China Buffet in Barboursville, but I'm certain it was either the Sheriff or a higher-level LEO for Cabell Cty--he was in civvies accompanied by three uniformed officers. No badge or logo visible on his polo shirt.

Post imported post

CF: I saw that too. I was also there but was doing a cc instead of oc. The person you saw was the sheriff.