• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BIG Georgia Change Passes House Today!

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

The House today amended HB 89 to make it legal to carry into mass transit (Marta), state parks, WMAs, churches, restaurants, and public gatherings generally. The amended substitute bill passed 111 to 58. This bill now goes back to the Senate.

officerjdc

imported post

How did this turn out? I saw that the Senate rejected the amendments made by the House and the bill was supposed to go to a conference committee. I'm not sure whether the General Assembly is still in session nowor not. I hope the House version of the bill passed. I'd love to be able to go to any restaurant inHinesville or Richmond Hill or Savannahand eat there without having to worry about whether there is alcohol on the menu or not. I hate with a passion having to send my girlfriend into a restaurant to ask whether they serve alcohol or not and then disarm and lock it in the car or go somewhere else if she finds out that they do serve alcohol.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
How did this turn out? I saw that the Senate rejected the amendments made by the House and the bill was supposed to go to a conference committee. I'm not sure whether the General Assembly is still in session nowor not. I hope the House version of the bill passed. I'd love to be able to go to any restaurant inHinesville or Richmond Hill or Savannahand eat there without having to worry about whether there is alcohol on the menu or not. I hate with a passion having to send my girlfriend into a restaurant to ask whether they serve alcohol or not and then disarm and lock it in the car or go somewhere else if she finds out that they do serve alcohol.

The Conference Committee has not yet met. We still hold out high hopes for restaurants. May I suggest you contact Lt. Governor Casey Cagle and tell him what you you posted here?'

He is the gatekeeper.

officerjdc

imported post

I will email Cagle today. I'm also planning to email my state reps, Ron Stephens in the House and Eric Johnson in the Senate, to express my support for this. Has Gov. Perdue stated where he stood on this? I think I'll send him an email too while I'm at it.

officerjdc

imported post

Done! I sent the following text as an email to Lt. Gov. Cagle, Gov. Perdue, Rep. Stephens, and Sen. Johnson:

"I am writing to you today to speak out in favor of the passage of HB 89, which would bring some much needed revision to the laws concerning the Georgia Firearm License. Of the 47 states that are now issuing some license of this nature, Georgia currently puts more places off limits to the weapons of the licensed armed citizen than any other state. HB 89 would correct that.

Under the current law I must send my girlfriend into any restaurant we are not familiar with so she can find out whether or not there is alcohol on the menu, and if there is I must then disarm and lock my weapon in the car and leave it unattended and vulnerable to theft while we eat or go elsewhere to eat even though I do not plan to consume any alcohol while we eat. If HB 89 passes I would no longer be required to go to such great lengths to ensure I complied with state law."