Thread: Thinking of getting a .40 glock

Post imported post

Hello. I'm thinking of getting a glock .40 cal sometime in the near future.

I'm not sure which one I want. Concealment isn't exactly a concern because I plan to OC.

Which one has slimmer grips? I could see the 23 having smaller grips because it's compact but I could also see the 22 having smaller grips because it's full size and it's taller so it allows the grips to be thinner.

What is your opinion? Also what's a good simple holster for OC for this weapon? I'd actually prefer a holster that holds the gun in real firm so there's no way it can come out without intentionally taking it out, but I also don't want a thumbreak. I have good situational awareness and I can protect my weapon from being taken away if needed.

thanks,
    All advice welcome!
    Last edited by abrink; 01-04-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Post imported post

FBI now uses the G27 when i get some free time ill take pics of my glock 22 and holster options and post them.

happy carrying

jason

Post imported post

abrink wrote:
    Which one has slimmer grips. I could see the 23 having smaller grips because it's compact but i could also see the 22 having smaller grips because it's full size and it's taller so it allows the grips to be thinner.
    All Glocks have the same size (width) grips. With the exception of a few .45 caliber Glocks, the only difference in the grips is length.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

For the most part, this is my work rig Serpa Level 3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

This is my OC and CC rig, Blackhawk Level 2 Serpa

Post imported post

I do not use this holster very often, but it's an Uncle Mikes Kydex

Post imported post

I'd concentrate on getting out of college and not what gun some potential future employer carries.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

All Glocks have the same size (width) grips. With the exception of a few .45 caliber Glocks,
    Just being nit-picky.:P

The G36 is the slimmest of all, it doesn't share a frame with any of the other models.
    The G20/21 and G30/29 don't share the same frame as the 17, 19, 26, 34,22, 23, 27, 35, 37, 38, 39, 31, 32, 33 or the 18.
    Then there is the new SF frames for the G21/G30.
    You excluded 10mm, shame on you.

Buy a gun/model/ caliber because you want/like it not because a potential future employer uses/issues it.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I carried the Glock 22 for years on the job. Loved it. I have a 17 now and like the Safariland holster. It holds the gun nice and tight, yet unholsters pretty quick when needed. Good retention to keep someone from trying to remove it from any other angle than it was designed to.

Post imported post

Hell, if you get anything, get a S&W M&P 40. They're very, very nice pistols in terms of design and ergonomics and certainly outclass the standard Glock models. Plus they're made in the US by an American company with outstanding customer support by all accounts. They can be had with or without: Magazine safety, internal lock, or night sights. All standard options, no charge except for a bit on the night sights.

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    I'd concentrate on getting out of college and not what gun some potential future employer carries.

That's what I was thinking. Buy a Glock and next year they might have Sigs. Don't worry how you willl carry off duty you don't have the job yet.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Schofield wrote:
    Hell, if you get anything, get a S&W M&P 40. They're very, very nice pistols in terms of design and ergonomics and certainly outclass the standard Glock models. Plus they're made in the US by an American company with outstanding customer support by all accounts. They can be had with or without: Magazine safety, internal lock, or night sights. All standard options, no charge except for a bit on the night sights.
    Or don't buy S&W because they sold out gun owners.
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#...&%20Wesson

Post imported post

I have the G35, 23, and 27. Of the three, I prefer the 23 slightly over the other two.

Also have a G20, which I'd probably prefer over the other 3 except for the lack ofavailability of decent ammo (i.e., Winchester Silvertips) which I don't always find in stock locally. It fits my hand the best and is dead-on accurate, and with the right ammo, in the range of a .41 magnum.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

What is your opinion? Also what's a good simple holster for OC for this weapon? I'd actually prefer a holster that holds the gun in real firm so there's no way it can come out without intentionally taking it out but i also don't want a thumbreak. I have good situational awareness and i can protect my weapon from being taken away if needed.
    So, you have eyes in the back of your head? You ALWAYS look around? You never focus on any one thing, such as the door lock on your car? Do you look at people when you talk to them?

I hate to break it to you, but what you're talking regarding awareness is not possible.

Get a solid holster with a retention system and carry a small fixed blade knife on the opposite side in a hidden possition (such as in the appendix position in front where you can control it).

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Schofield wrote:
    Hell, if you get anything, get a S&W M&P 40.¬* They're very, very nice pistols in terms of design and ergonomics and certainly outclass the standard Glock models.¬* Plus they're made in the US by an American company with outstanding customer support by all accounts.¬*¬* They can be had with or without: Magazine safety, internal lock, or night sights.¬* All standard¬* options, no charge except for a bit on the night sights.
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#Smith%20&%20Wesson
    Go with the Smith and Wesson M&P or the Sigma. The M&P is everything that the Glock wants to be when it grows up. The Sigma has a better grip than a Glock, and the M&P has interchangeable back straps.

If you boycott S&W, Ruger would have to be boycotted also. Don't see that happening.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/hicap-mags.html

Post imported post

I have both Smith and Wesson M&P 40 and the Sigma 9. and I think they are great
    handguns.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Schofield wrote:
    Glock's not exactly big on civilian gun rights either from what I recall, certain things about wanting electronics installed in their plastic guns so naughty people can't use them. I'll have to find a reference later tonight, though.

And yes, Ruger is just as bad though more stupid because of the magazine capacity thing.

Post imported post

Get a SIG and be done with it.

Post imported post

Go to the local range and see if you can't rent one of their guns. See what you like first hand instead of buying something you regret a week later (not that anyone could ever regret buying a glock). But, I do love the hell out of my 23!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Schofield wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    Schofield wrote:
    Glock's not exactly big on civilian gun rights either from what I recall, certain things about wanting electronics installed in their plastic guns so naughty people can't use them. I'll have to find a reference later tonight, though.

And yes, Ruger is just as bad though more stupid because of the magazine capacity thing.
    Flag on the play unless you got a cite about Glock. As for Ruger, I agree except lately they seem to be in a changing mode to being more what we would like of them.

Post imported post

Glock works hand in hand with Clinton too:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A96F958260

"As long it is for fighting crime, and not for gun control"

Post imported post

If your hands are REALLY small then the G23 would be the gun. But for duty, I'd recommend the full size G22 or G35 because of longer barrel lengths.

The Competition G35's recoil is VERY manageable.