• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking of getting a .40 glock

abrink

imported post

Hello. I'm thinking of getting a glock .40 cal sometime in the near future.

I'm not sure which one I want. Concealment isn't exactly a concern because I plan to OC.

Which one has slimmer grips? I could see the 23 having smaller grips because it's compact but I could also see the 22 having smaller grips because it's full size and it's taller so it allows the grips to be thinner.

What is your opinion? Also what's a good simple holster for OC for this weapon? I'd actually prefer a holster that holds the gun in real firm so there's no way it can come out without intentionally taking it out, but I also don't want a thumbreak. I have good situational awareness and I can protect my weapon from being taken away if needed.

thanks,
All advice welcome!

Last edited:

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

abrink wrote:
Which one has slimmer grips. I could see the 23 having smaller grips because it's compact but i could also see the 22 having smaller grips because it's full size and it's taller so it allows the grips to be thinner.
All Glocks have the same size (width) grips. With the exception of a few .45 caliber Glocks, the only difference in the grips is length.

Marco

imported post

All Glocks have the same size (width) grips. With the exception of a few .45 caliber Glocks,
Just being nit-picky.:p

The G36 is the slimmest of all, it doesn't share a frame with any of the other models.
The G20/21 and G30/29 don't share the same frame as the 17, 19, 26, 34,22, 23, 27, 35, 37, 38, 39, 31, 32, 33 or the 18.
Then there is the new SF frames for the G21/G30.
You excluded 10mm, shame on you.;)

Buy a gun/model/ caliber because you want/like it not because a potential future employer uses/issues it.

Yodaforce

imported post

I carried the Glock 22 for years on the job. Loved it. I have a 17 now and like the Safariland holster. It holds the gun nice and tight, yet unholsters pretty quick when needed. Good retention to keep someone from trying to remove it from any other angle than it was designed to.

Schofield

imported post

Hell, if you get anything, get a S&W M&P 40. They're very, very nice pistols in terms of design and ergonomics and certainly outclass the standard Glock models. Plus they're made in the US by an American company with outstanding customer support by all accounts. They can be had with or without: Magazine safety, internal lock, or night sights. All standard options, no charge except for a bit on the night sights. :cool:

charlie12

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I'd concentrate on getting out of college and not what gun some potential future employer carries.

That's what I was thinking. Buy a Glock and next year they might have Sigs. Don't worry how you willl carry off duty you don't have the job yet.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Schofield wrote:
Hell, if you get anything, get a S&W M&P 40. They're very, very nice pistols in terms of design and ergonomics and certainly outclass the standard Glock models. Plus they're made in the US by an American company with outstanding customer support by all accounts. They can be had with or without: Magazine safety, internal lock, or night sights. All standard options, no charge except for a bit on the night sights. :cool:
Or don't buy S&W because they sold out gun owners.
http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#Smith & Wesson

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I have the G35, 23, and 27. Of the three, I prefer the 23 slightly over the other two.

Also have a G20, which I'd probably prefer over the other 3 except for the lack ofavailability of decent ammo (i.e., Winchester Silvertips) which I don't always find in stock locally. It fits my hand the best and is dead-on accurate, and with the right ammo, in the range of a .41 magnum.

cREbralFIX

imported post

What is your opinion? Also what's a good simple holster for OC for this weapon? I'd actually prefer a holster that holds the gun in real firm so there's no way it can come out without intentionally taking it out but i also don't want a thumbreak. I have good situational awareness and i can protect my weapon from being taken away if needed.
So, you have eyes in the back of your head? You ALWAYS look around? You never focus on any one thing, such as the door lock on your car? Do you look at people when you talk to them?

I hate to break it to you, but what you're talking regarding awareness is not possible.

Get a solid holster with a retention system and carry a small fixed blade knife on the opposite side in a hidden possition (such as in the appendix position in front where you can control it).

TheApostle

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Schofield wrote:
Hell, if you get anything, get a S&W M&P 40.  They're very, very nice pistols in terms of design and ergonomics and certainly outclass the standard Glock models.  Plus they're made in the US by an American company with outstanding customer support by all accounts.   They can be had with or without: Magazine safety, internal lock, or night sights.  All standard  options, no charge except for a bit on the night sights. :cool:
http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#Smith & Wesson

Go with the Smith and Wesson M&P or the Sigma. The M&P is everything that the Glock wants to be when it grows up. The Sigma has a better grip than a Glock, and the M&P has interchangeable back straps.

If you boycott S&W, Ruger would have to be boycotted also. Don't see that happening.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/hicap-mags.html

Schofield

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Schofield wrote:
http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#Smith%20&%20Wesson
Glock's not exactly big on civilian gun rights either from what I recall, certain things about wanting electronics installed in their plastic guns so naughty people can't use them. I'll have to find a reference later tonight, though.

And yes, Ruger is just as bad though more stupid because of the magazine capacity thing.

ATCer

imported post

Go to the local range and see if you can't rent one of their guns. See what you like first hand instead of buying something you regret a week later (not that anyone could ever regret buying a glock). But, I do love the hell out of my 23!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Schofield wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Schofield wrote:
http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#Smith%20&%20Wesson
Glock's not exactly big on civilian gun rights either from what I recall, certain things about wanting electronics installed in their plastic guns so naughty people can't use them. I'll have to find a reference later tonight, though.

And yes, Ruger is just as bad though more stupid because of the magazine capacity thing.
Flag on the play unless you got a cite about Glock. As for Ruger, I agree except lately they seem to be in a changing mode to being more what we would like of them.