• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doctors vs. Guns

rocknsnow

imported post

I got this in an email today. I thought it was kind of funny.

Doctors vs. Guns – The Statistics

Doctors

(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. Is 700,000

(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%

Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept. Of Health & Human Services.

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. Is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the FBI

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners. Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR]

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.

We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!! Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Since we are on the subject of doctors, Rocksnow have you seen the movie sicko w/ Michael Moore?
Also the statistics that you posted are just the ones that have been reported or that we know about! There are many more deaths and medical errors caused by doctors every day. (of course I can't say that w/out stating that it is my own opinion) - even though its true!

tarzan1888

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
I got this in an email today. I thought it was kind of funny.

Doctors vs. Guns – The Statistics

Doctors

(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. Is 700,000

(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%

Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept. Of Health & Human Services.

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. Is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the FBI

Can't speak for all of the statistics, but I can for the gun deaths according to the latest data, for the last data year 2002 there were 667 unintentional firearm deaths in the US, all ages.

If the 80, mill is right then the number is .0008338%

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/deaths.htm

Tarzan

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

packingmama wrote:
The movie Sicko is about the medical industry. (healthcare)
As I understand it, the movie sicko perports to be some kind of documentary of what is wrong with the US medical system compared to how well socialized systems such as in Cuba function.

Considering the gross distortions of guns, gun owners, and RKBA that Moore presented in "Bowling for Columbine," along with my natural predispotion against expanding government control of healthcare, I would tend to believe that "Sicko" is right down there among the rankest of dishonest propaganda, rather than honestly being "about" anything.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
packingmama wrote:
The movie Sicko is about the medical industry. (healthcare)
As I understand it, the movie sicko perports to be some kind of documentary of what is wrong with the US medical system compared to how well socialized systems such as in Cuba function.

Considering the gross distortions of guns, gun owners, and RKBA that Moore presented in "Bowling for Columbine," along with my natural predispotion against expanding government control of healthcare, I would tend to believe that "Sicko" is right down there among the rankest of dishonest propaganda, rather than honestly being "about" anything.
The movie Sicko is a documentery and is very truthful. Its about our healthcare system and how it is so corrupt.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

packingmama wrote:
The movie Sicko is a documentery and is very truthful. Its about our healthcare system and how it is so corrupt.
There is very little wrong with our health care system that is not the direct result of government mandates, insane tax laws that tie health "insurance" to employment, and tort law gone wild.

Portraying Cuba's health care system as the panacea of the world is anything but truthful. Aint NOBODY swimming through 90 miles of shark infested water to get INTO Cuba.

I will also point you to this month's edition of Imprimis at <http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis.asp> where Mark Steyn compares the US and Canadian economies and touches on the Canadian, socialized health care with this great snippet:

"
Canadian dependence on the United States is particularly true in health care, the most eminent Canadian idea looming in the American context. That is, public health care in Canada depends on private health care in the U.S. A small news story from last month illustrates this:
"A Canadian woman has given birth to extremely rare identical quadruplets. The four girls were born at a U.S. hospital because there was no space available at Canadian neonatal intensive care units. Autumn, Brook, Calissa, and Dahlia are in good condition at Benefice Hospital in Great Falls, Montana. Health officials said they checked every other neonatal intensive care unit in Canada, but none had space. The Jepps, a nurse and a respiratory technician were flown 500 kilometers to the Montana hospital, the closest in the U.S., where the quadruplets were born on Sunday.
"There you have Canadian health care in a nutshell. After all, you can’t expect a G-7 economy of only 30 million people to be able to offer the same level of neonatal intensive care coverage as a town of 50,000 in remote, rural Montana. And let’s face it, there’s nothing an expectant mom likes more on the day of delivery than 300 miles in a bumpy twin prop over the Rockies. Everyone knows that socialized health care means you wait and wait and wait—six months for an MRI, a year for a hip replacement, and so on. But here is the absolute logical reductio of a government monopoly in health care: the ten month waiting list for the maternity ward."

Those who know Jim Dexter (perhaps from one of the OC dinners) should ask him about a former client that was a large hospital chain along our northern border that catered to Canadians who wanted better care than that offered by their own socialized mess.

Bottom line, if you want to tell me that Moore did a great and honest job with "Sicko" you need to either explain to me how and why he got it so very wrong with "Bowling for Columbine" or else tell us that you accept he was honest and accurate in that movie as well. Sorry, but tigers don't often change their stripes and Moore is a rabid left-wing nut who hates guns, the free market, and most everything else that has made this nation great.

If he were to tell me the sun was shining at noon day, I'd go looking for independent verification to make sure I was not in some drug induced stupor for agreeing with him.;)

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
packingmama wrote:
There is very little wrong with our health care system that is not the direct result of government mandates, insane tax laws that tie health "insurance" to employment, and tort law gone wild.

Portraying Cuba's health care system as the panacea of the world is anything but truthful. Aint NOBODY swimming through 90 miles of shark infested water to get INTO Cuba.

I will also point you to this month's edition of Imprimis at <http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis.asp> where Mark Steyn compares the US and Canadian economies and touches on the Canadian, socialized health care with this great snippet:

"
Canadian dependence on the United States is particularly true in health care, the most eminent Canadian idea looming in the American context. That is, public health care in Canada depends on private health care in the U.S. A small news story from last month illustrates this:
"A Canadian woman has given birth to extremely rare identical quadruplets. The four girls were born at a U.S. hospital because there was no space available at Canadian neonatal intensive care units. Autumn, Brook, Calissa, and Dahlia are in good condition at Benefice Hospital in Great Falls, Montana. Health officials said they checked every other neonatal intensive care unit in Canada, but none had space. The Jepps, a nurse and a respiratory technician were flown 500 kilometers to the Montana hospital, the closest in the U.S., where the quadruplets were born on Sunday.
"There you have Canadian health care in a nutshell. After all, you can’t expect a G-7 economy of only 30 million people to be able to offer the same level of neonatal intensive care coverage as a town of 50,000 in remote, rural Montana. And let’s face it, there’s nothing an expectant mom likes more on the day of delivery than 300 miles in a bumpy twin prop over the Rockies. Everyone knows that socialized health care means you wait and wait and wait—six months for an MRI, a year for a hip replacement, and so on. But here is the absolute logical reductio of a government monopoly in health care: the ten month waiting list for the maternity ward."

Those who know Jim Dexter (perhaps from one of the OC dinners) should ask him about a former client that was a large hospital chain along our northern border that catered to Canadians who wanted better care than that offered by their own socialized mess.

Bottom line, if you want to tell me that Moore did a great and honest job with "Sicko" you need to either explain to me how and why he got it so very wrong with "Bowling for Columbine" or else tell us that you accept he was honest and accurate in that movie as well. Sorry, but tigers don't often change their stripes and Moore is a rabid left-wing nut who hates guns, the free market, and most everything else that has made this nation great.

If he were to tell me the sun was shining at noon day, I'd go looking for independent verification to make sure I was not in some drug induced stupor for agreeing with him.;)
Regardless of the movie Sicko and your beliefs Bagpiper, I personally think and know for a fact in my own OPINION that our healthcare system is screwed up. I don't trust it and never will. And frankly don't care about your opinion even though you give it anyway. You are not the one who is always right and the only opinion on this site that matters! Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions even though you think yours is the best and that everyone should bow down to your belief system. I am pretty sure you mean well in your lengthy writings; but I am pretty tired of them. I am just stating my own opinion and cannot account for everyone else’s. I am sure you are a smart man and do know a lot but I believe differently from you on a lot of your posts. That is one reason I have avoided commenting on your posts because it seems to me and from what I have observed you tend to belittle everyone around you. You also never give up until you pull people to your side of the story and have the last word! I have not wanted to argue with you, because it is not worth my time. I am sorry if this comes across a little harsh I just wanted to voice my opinion about this subject and others on how I feel. Hopefully no offense taken because I do believe you to be an intelligent human being and wish to meet you someday; we just happen to think differently from one another. Back to the subject of Doctors vs.GUNS and the statistics......

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

packingmama wrote:
packingmama wrote:
Regardless of the movie Sicko and your beliefs Bagpiper, I personally think and know for a fact in my own OPINION that our healthcare system is screwed up. I don't trust it and never will. And frankly don't care about your opinion even though you give it anyway. You are not the one who is always right and the only opinion on this site that matters! Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions even though you think yours is the best and that everyone should bow down to your belief system. I am pretty sure you mean well in your lengthy writings; but I am pretty tired of them. I am just stating my own opinion and cannot account for everyone else’s. I am sure you are a smart man and do know a lot but I believe differently from you on a lot of your posts. That is one reason I have avoided commenting on your posts because it seems to me and from what I have observed you tend to belittle everyone around you. You also never give up until you pull people to your side of the story and have the last word! I have not wanted to argue with you, because it is not worth my time. I am sorry if this comes across a little harsh I just wanted to voice my opinion about this subject and others on how I feel. Hopefully no offense taken because I do believe you to be an intelligent human being and wish to meet you someday; we just happen to think differently from one another. Back to the subject of Doctors vs.GUNS and the statistics......
Packingmama,

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and I do my best to respect that when someone makes clear he is simply expressing an opinion. But a statement of fact is given, as you did regarding the veracity of the movie, Sicko, I may well expect some evidence.

If you don't like what I write, don't read it. But this is a DISCUSSION board and what you choose to write IS fair game to be challenged or questioned. It is how these things work. It is why the media types HATE them.

And anyone who tries to tell me that an avowed gun grabber is honest and accurate on ANY topic is going to be challenged. As L. Neil Smith wrote, a man's view on MY RKBA is a pretty good indicator of his overall view of me and my rights on a whole host of other issues.

As I've written several times, I have a long history of working very well with those who disagree with me on almost every issue but guns. Indeed, I even work well with those who often take a slightly different view of RKBA than I do. But if you don't want to see disagreement on some particular issue--especially an off topic issue, don't bring it up. And anything put out by the cretin responsible for "Bowling for Columbine" ought to be viewed as HIGHLY suspect by those in the RKBA community.

You'll get no disagreement from me on the general thesis that there are issues and problems with health care in the USA. Where we may well part company is on the causes of and thus the solutions to, those problems. Simply put, there are PAINFULLY few areas of life where I think the problems are caused by TOO LITTLE government involvement, regulation, rules, laws, or taxes. Just a "gun control" is NOT a solution to crime, doctor or hospital control is NOT a solution to what ails our health care system and patient or consumer control is completely anathema to the entire concept of freedom generally espoused by those who accept the awesome responsibility to provide for their own self defense.

You may not like my verbose posts. Great. Don't ever vote for me. I've long since decided (after several failed campaigns for public office) that I am not electable anyway. Sound bite central I ain't.

You may not like dealing with the logic and reason I bring to a discussion. Too bad. You are free not to read what I write. Others are free to read if they like and to then decide who makes the best argument. But supporting Moore's view of what is wrong with health care and how to fix it (turn it over to the same guys who handled FEMA and Katrina so well) is a LOOONG row for anyone to hoe. Good luck with that among 90%+ of independently minded, responsible gun owners.

Do take care.