• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranges in Reno?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey, I'm coming to Reno for about 6 months and wondering if there are any good ranges in the area?

Besides standard practice with the Ruger P345 .45 ACP, I'd like to find a nice outdoor range where I cansight in my M1 Garand, Springfield 03's and M1 Carbine as well.

Any recommendations? TIA...

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Idon't really know of any ranges that exist in Reno. According to GoogleEarth,there is place called Sage Hill Clay Sports sort of a bit to the south of Reno where you can supposedly shoot, but I've never been there.

But in Nevada, its legal to shoot guns anywhere that is 3000 feet or farther from structures. Pretty much any place out in the desert is a great place to shoot.Ishootin the desert northwest of Reno andin the hills.Of course, you need to supply your own targets etc. Maybe some measuring tapewould be usefultoo.

The only "official" range I know of that is nearby is near Pyramid lake.I'm not sure whether its indoor or outdoor.There may also be one in Carson City, and I know on some road trip there was one maybe 100 miles east of Reno somewhere. Maybe there is some range somewhere I have not heard about somewhere closer. One advantage of just shooting in the desert is that there are no range fees, and no range commands/rules or other people to annoy you.

I shoot rifles and pistols out in the desert mostly plinking at improvised targets. I think its more enjoyable than an official range anyway.

varminter22

imported post

See www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=3

Washoe County (Reno) Shooting Facility is north of Reno on the Pyramid Highway; open to public; daily fee.

Carson City range is open to public; no fee.

Stillwater Firearms Ass'n (Fallon) range is private (members and guests only).

Range at Fernley is private and open to public only during shooting events.

See www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Area_Match_Schedule_2008.htmlfor some really great shooting events.

Loneviking

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
See http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=3

Washoe County (Reno) Shooting Facility is north of Reno on the Pyramid Highway; open to public; daily fee.

Carson City range is open to public; no fee.

Stillwater Firearms Ass'n (Fallon) range is private (members and guests only).

Range at Fernley is private and open to public only during shooting events.

See http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Area_Match_Schedule_2008.htmlfor some really great shooting events.
Another range is in Gardnerville, Douglas county. It's the county range and it costs $2 to use it but it's a nicer range than Carsons'.Take395 through Gardnerville until you hit the 7-11 at the end of town. Turn left and go until you see the signs. You can also head up into the Pinenut mountains from there and find even more stuff to demolish! :D

Loneviking

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Hey, I'm coming to Reno for about 6 months and wondering if there are any good ranges in the area?

Besides standard practice with the Ruger P345 .45 ACP, I'd like to find a nice outdoor range where I cansight in my M1 Garand, Springfield 03's and M1 Carbine as well.

Any recommendations? TIA...
I'm new to the site and I just saw mention of a Springfield! I have an 03-A3 that was equipped for the Pedersen device. I usually take it out to the Carson range where there is about a 300 yard range.