Thread: Rubber bands - Good for target shooting?

Post imported post

So, I was just thinking, at 6am, after being up all night, about how my grandpa had been showing off his guns after we'd finished hand-loading about 700 rounds last December.

He has little bits of rubber band glued to the inside of his trigger guard, behind the trigger on several of his handguns.

The reason? When he feels the resistance from the back of the trigger hitting the rubber bands, he knows he's almost at the breaking point for the trigger, allowing him maximum tension (?).

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, or if I need to post pictures/drawings to clarify.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I have never heard of it, but if it works for him, that's what matters.

Post imported post

Oddly enough, I have heard of this before but using pencil erasers instead of rubber band slices. I first heard of it on the Kel-Tec Owners Group board since the Kel-Tec has such a lo-o-ng trigger pull it was proposed to use this as a trigger stop for staging the trigger.

Post imported post

Never heard of it either but anything that makes you a better shooter is a good thing. But rubber bands tend to rot out after a while.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    Oddly enough, I have heard of this before but using pencil erasers instead of rubber band slices. I first heard of it on the Kel-Tec Owners Group board since the Kel-Tec has such a lo-o-ng trigger pull it was proposed to use this as a trigger stop for staging the trigger.
    Its called the Whites Trigger Stop, and works quite well in my experience.

Post imported post

Longwatch can you explain how this is put togeather, gumbands (pitsburgh) i dont see the thickness you would need. Thanks Mtn Jack

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

To clarify the White Trigger Stop uses a pencil eraser.
    http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#Wh...Trigger%20Stop
    Those are the instructions I used and it did tighten my groups up significantly. YMMV

Post imported post

I think I'm missing the point of this: is it supposed to prevent wear on the trigger spring or something?The trigger is pretty well back in the resting position by the time I correct for the gun jump anyway, so I don't see this improving my speed or accuracy by eliminating the last tenth of an inch on the pull or whatever.

-ljp

Post imported post

info corrected see below
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thanks long watch i just didnt figger on stacking gumband up but it would work ok, i drilled the trigger guards on rugers and installed a set screw. The white trick or the bands are not for a stop so much as to tell you the trigger is about to release, am i right in that thought? This is not to be confused with what i did to prevent over travel right? Mtn Jack

Post imported post

not for a stop so much as to tell you the trigger is about to release
    You are probably right.
    Learned this a long time ago without the trick, so it didn't cross my mind.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

That's exactly what it's for.

"Pull the trigger back until you feel resistance."
    "Ok...."
    "Now pull just a little more."
    *click*
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I have seen a pencil eraser set up like this - it was installed by a well known gunsmith (deceased) in Mechanicsville, Va. He was going to install one on my target Ruger but I never took it back.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Thank you folks what i thought. I shoot or dry fire my arms so much that i know when the trigger will break. Be safe Mtn Jack