• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rubber bands - Good for target shooting?

AbNo

imported post

So, I was just thinking, at 6am, after being up all night, about how my grandpa had been showing off his guns after we'd finished hand-loading about 700 rounds last December.

He has little bits of rubber band glued to the inside of his trigger guard, behind the trigger on several of his handguns.

The reason? When he feels the resistance from the back of the trigger hitting the rubber bands, he knows he's almost at the breaking point for the trigger, allowing him maximum tension (?).

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, or if I need to post pictures/drawings to clarify. :D

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Oddly enough, I have heard of this before but using pencil erasers instead of rubber band slices. I first heard of it on the Kel-Tec Owners Group board since the Kel-Tec has such a lo-o-ng trigger pull it was proposed to use this as a trigger stop for staging the trigger.

Sheldon

imported post

Never heard of it either but anything that makes you a better shooter is a good thing. But rubber bands tend to rot out after a while.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
Oddly enough, I have heard of this before but using pencil erasers instead of rubber band slices. I first heard of it on the Kel-Tec Owners Group board since the Kel-Tec has such a lo-o-ng trigger pull it was proposed to use this as a trigger stop for staging the trigger.
Its called the Whites Trigger Stop, and works quite well in my experience.

Legba

imported post

I think I'm missing the point of this: is it supposed to prevent wear on the trigger spring or something?The trigger is pretty well back in the resting position by the time I correct for the gun jump anyway, so I don't see this improving my speed or accuracy by eliminating the last tenth of an inch on the pull or whatever.

-ljp

Mtn Jack

imported post

Thanks long watch i just didnt figger on stacking gumband up but it would work ok, i drilled the trigger guards on rugers and installed a set screw. The white trick or the bands are not for a stop so much as to tell you the trigger is about to release, am i right in that thought? This is not to be confused with what i did to prevent over travel right? Mtn Jack

Marco

imported post

not for a stop so much as to tell you the trigger is about to release
You are probably right.
Learned this a long time ago without the trick, so it didn't cross my mind.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have seen a pencil eraser set up like this - it was installed by a well known gunsmith (deceased) in Mechanicsville, Va. He was going to install one on my target Ruger but I never took it back.

Yata hey