• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tamara Dietrich's Latest Column

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Probably the safest day of the year for our delegates and senators at the state capital is our annual Lobby Day. This year there were approximatley 400 armed citizens attending. Would not have been a good day for a BG to plan something stupid.
:monkey
Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This man is afraid that HE might lose control of himself, and thus believes that everybody must be like him. There is no hope for him and people like him as their world is just too scary a place to live in -- so they spend their time hiding.
Del. Lionell Spruill Sr., D-Chesapeake, tried to end that particular Virginia tradition again this year, but pulled his own bill last week when he realized it would never make it out of committee. Again.

So he submitted it as a proposed rules change, where it had to be read on the House floor five days in a row, then voted on. It didn't just die — it was pulverized 77-18.

"Why in the world would you want to have a gun on the House floor?" Spruill said to me Wednesday, clearly upset. "Sometimes you get into a heated discussion — you never know what people will do when they get into a heated discussion."
First, I'd like to see the numbers that show that Virginians "overwhelmingly" favor tighter gun laws. I'd also like to see how the questions were asked, just to test for any possible bias in the wording.

Second, I disagree with the statement that members of the General Assembly look on tightening gun laws as political suicide. Instead, I strongly believe they are hearing and responding to the claim is that guns are not the problem, but that the person who misuses a gun is the problem. As we know, there are more than enough laws already out there. We need to get them used.

A Christopher Newport University statewide poll this month shows that Virginians of both parties overwhelmingly favor tighter gun laws — including closing the gun-show loophole.

Yet lawmakers continue to act as if tightening gun laws is volunteering for a political wood chipper.
As much as I am disturbed and disgusted by the biased rhetoric of most of the rest of her column, I fully agree with this portion.

"Come over to the dark side, Luke." We'll see if THEIR guns go off without provocation, causing the streets to run red with the blood they said would be there because of "us." If that happens, then I'm going to want to know where they got their guns at, because mine and yours would be proven to be defective, and we'd need to replace them with properly functioning killers.

On the other hand, it would be worth the price of an admission ticket to be there when they realize "they" have become "us" and nothing happened.

It strikes me that gun-control advocates have been using the wrong ammunition.

Lie-ins and heartfelt speeches have their place, but don't carry the same weight in Richmond as a Glock or a Smith & Wesson openly strapped to a leg or hip.

If you're serious about gun control and want to grab the attention of lawmakers, start buying as much firepower as the law allows.

Carry your firearms anywhere and everywhere it's legal to do so. It's easy — this is Virginia.

Then visit your legislators very, very, very often and, this is important: Pack heat every single time.

Stop lying down, and let those metal detectors sing out like Megadeth — the soundtrack of Virginia gun law politics.
How do you think she would respond to an offer to buy her a fancy belt & holster set if she will buy a gun?

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I'll sell her one tomarrow if she wants to meet me at the show. :celebrate

Yata hey

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Very good point Scott. I agree he really hasn't made a good enough point to restrict my rights.

But, a good point could be made that the legislature is a focal point for crazy agrevied people who "might" just show up and shoot someone who passed a law they didn't like. So the GA needs security.

What kinds of counterarguments can be made against this reasoning?
Seems you've answered your own question......
Ha! Not sure I actually understand your point but the idea is that an "actual" crazy person, not a citizen who's real rights have been violated, shows up and shoots someone not deserving of such.
IMHO, every "focal point for crazy people" should have as many legally armed citizens as possible....seems more "secure" against criminal acts than "gun free zones" of any kind.........

Neplusultra

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Very good point Scott. I agree he really hasn't made a good enough point to restrict my rights.

But, a good point could be made that the legislature is a focal point for crazy agrevied people who "might" just show up and shoot someone who passed a law they didn't like. So the GA needs security.

Seems you've answered your own question......
Ha! Not sure I actually understand your point but the idea is that an "actual" crazy person, not a citizen who's real rights have been violated, shows up and shoots someone not deserving of such.
IMHO, every "focal point for crazy people" should have as many legally armed citizens as possible....seems more "secure" against criminal acts than "gun free zones" of any kind.........
Ha! That's one way of thinking about it! +P

XD Owner

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I'd like to hear what you all think. Why DO we need guns in the general assybly?

1. Like Beavis and Butthead would say, "General assybly, that's funny, heh heh, heh, heh."

2. And to answer your question, because the Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights says, in part, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

3. And they call it the Bill of Rights for a reason. It's a right, not a need.

ScottNH

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:

Other people have answered this more eloquently than I, but to clarify in my own mind, your argument is "crazy agrevied [sic] people might come here to shoot someone, therefore you shouldn't be allowed to have a gun." Did I get that right?

Didn't we sort of learn at VT that "crazy, aggrieved" people don't pay much attention to said rules, and the only people who suffer in those situations are those who do?

Neplusultra

imported post

ScottNH wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

Other people have answered this more eloquently than I, but to clarify in my own mind, your argument is "crazy agrevied [sic] people might come here to shoot someone, therefore you shouldn't be allowed to have a gun." Did I get that right?

Didn't we sort of learn at VT that "crazy, aggrieved" people don't pay much attention to said rules, and the only people who suffer in those situations are those who do?
True but in this instance, which is different than tech, there are metal detectors and armed guards. But as someone above pointed out with a link to a news article that will not prevent someone, or a group of people, from rushing the gate with guns blazing. In that instance IIRC two guards were killed and one seriously wounded along with a visitior who was shot in the shoulder. He actually got into Tom DeLay's office where he wounded but was stopped by a specially placed guard. If that guard had not been there he would have shot Rep. DeLay.

Since DeLay is a conservative Republican it would be interesting to find out if the shooter was a liberal, don't know though.

Between this evidence, the fact that carrying is a right that the government cannot infringe, that the 2A is meant to put fear in the hearts of government and that if there was a crazy person allowed in who then turned on a legislator having more guns in the building would be better.

Of course the antis will still argue against these. So I would add some stats. First off am I correct in that the GA only allows in gun toters that have a CC permit? No one is allowed to OC without a permit? I just want to be straight about that. The statistical question I would put to the antis is how many people with guns have rushed a government building anywhere in the US and how many people with CC permits have done the same or done so once allowed in the building? If the answer is none, then why are they trying to fix a problem, and infringe my rights, when they have no evidence that there even is a problem!!??