• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

dave1289

imported post

Does the state of Louisiana require that your handgun be registered. I visit the state every now and then and I was thinking about open carrying next time I go.

-Dave

charlie12

imported post

No like Rabbit said.

We only register new guns with the AFT. There is no state registration.

When you get a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State Police they don't even ask if you own a gun.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
SNIP
When you get a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State Police they don't even ask if you own a gun.
I don't see why they would. I'm glad they don't. imagine if you had to tell them which gun you will be CCing and have the serial printed on your license... oh geez, I should stop talking, I'm just giving them ideas!

Gun_Addict

imported post

Dave, the only thing I can add to this is, it could be to your advantage that if you have any form of receipt on the one you carry could be helpful depending on what part of the state you visit. I recently made friends with a NOPD officer of 20 years and hit it right off as having a lot in common. He told me that when he is off duty and is carrying his personnal weapon, that he carries a receipt with him. He said he didn't want to have any problems. I don't carry one, but have had one for one of mine in my wallet, but don't remember which one...hehe. Anyway it does depend on what part of the state you are coming to. On another note, would I be wrong if I guessed you are a ham by looking at your avatar?

dave1289

imported post

Gun_Addict wrote:
Dave, the only thing I can add to this is, it could be to your advantage that if you have any form of receipt on the one you carry could be helpful depending on what part of the state you visit. I recently made friends with a NOPD officer of 20 years and hit it right off as having a lot in common. He told me that when he is off duty and is carrying his personnal weapon, that he carries a receipt with him. He said he didn't want to have any problems. I don't carry one, but have had one for one of mine in my wallet, but don't remember which one...hehe. Anyway it does depend on what part of the state you are coming to. On another note, would I be wrong if I guessed you are a ham by looking at your avatar?
Tnx for the info Gun_Addict. I mainly visit Baton Rouge and maybe Slidell. I'm not sure if I could come up with a bill of sale for it. I don't know how to get in contact with the fellow I bought it from.

You are correct about me being a ham. The radio pictured is a Drake TR4Cw. That was my favorite old rig untill I got my Collins KWM2.:lol:

Dave(KD5ZER)

joekareca

imported post

Dave, I live in new orleans or close by because our house got flooded beyond repair so we are in slidell 18 miles from east new orleans. as for bring your pistol to the state is the best idea you thought. there is alot of car jackings and at gun point robberies and like me i'm not going to be a victim and some nut or junkie who don't know who he is playing with.

In louisana you have a right to carry a pistol in your car or truck, it is considered a extention of your home and i never leave my gun at home! I have a couple of guns but the one i keep in my truck or on my Harley is my .40 caliberauto with 12 in the clip and one in the chamber. I have just applided for my concealed wepons permit so i don't have to leave it in the truck. I live 4 miles from the Honey Iland swamp shoot range, so i'm a real good shot.

Just be careful if you are from another state that you don't get a prick cop who likes your gun and will take it. I recommend keep your loads in the trunk , your pistol empty and don't lie to a cop if he ask you if you have a gun tell him you do he just might be a nice guy and let you go on your way.

but i really will recommend you stay out of lousiana unless necessary don't even come to this rat hole. most likely if you obay the speed & use your blinkers you most likely wont get pulled over. Karecajoe54

charlie12

imported post

Karecajoe54 wrote:
Dave, I live in new orleans or close by because our house got flooded beyond repair so we are in slidell 18 miles from east new orleans. as for bring your pistol to the state is the best idea you thought. there is alot of car jackings and at gun point robberies and like me i'm not going to be a victim and some nut or junkie who don't know who he is playing with.

In louisana you have a right to carry a pistol in your car or truck, it is considered a extention of your home and i never leave my gun at home! I have a couple of guns but the one i keep in my truck or on my Harley is my .40 caliberauto with 12 in the clip and one in the chamber. I have just applided for my concealed wepons permit so i don't have to leave it in the truck. I live 4 miles from the Honey Iland swamp shoot range, so i'm a real good shot.

Just be careful if you are from another state that you don't get a prick cop who likes your gun and will take it. I recommend keep your loads in the trunk , your pistol empty and don't lie to a cop if he ask you if you have a gun tell him you do he just might be a nice guy and let you go on your way.

but i really will recommend you stay out of lousiana unless necessary don't even come to this rat hole. most likely if you obay the speed & use your blinkers you most likely wont get pulled over. Karecajoe54

I don't know where you get your info. He can carry any gun he own's (legal of course) anywhere in his car loaded or not.

If a LEO were to try and take my weapon because he "liked it" I would be calling the Chief or Sheriff.

And just because you live close to a range doesn't make you a good shot. I guess because Iown55 acres to shoot on I'm a great shot. :lol:

KBCraig

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
I assume you meant "ATF", but you don't register guns with them either. There is no registration, period.

charlie12

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
charlie12 wrote:
I assume you meant "ATF", but you don't register guns with them either. There is no registration, period.

You're right I meant ATF sorry about that.

Then who gets the paper work on a new gun when you buy it?

Gun_Addict

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
charlie12 wrote:

You're right I meant ATF sorry about that.

Then who gets the paper work on a new gun when you buy it?

If still the same, the store where you buy it has to keep the paperwork on site for a period of 20 years, unless closes down before then and all the forms are sent to the atf for their storage. Back in the 90's a local shop shut down and he had to send in all the forms. But the rules may have changed since then.

Ryan504

imported post

When Eliott's got raided the ATF carted off dozens of boxes of paperwork. I'm sure they aren't burning 4473s.. so it may not be a de jure registration but there is definately a de facto registration with the ATF in FFL sales.

charlie12

imported post

So when the DC "sniper" was doing his shooting how did the FED's know who had .223's in the area?

Did they go to every gun store in the area and pull20 years of records:question:

charlie12

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
So when the DC "sniper" was doing his shooting how did the FED's know who had .223's in the area?

Did they go to every gun store in the area and pull20 years of records:question:
:question:Well does anybody have the answer to that?

KBCraig

imported post

charlie12 wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what they did. Gun traces, despite what you see on TV, are long, laborious, and require digging through musty boxes of paper. It can take anywhere from dozens to thousands of man-hours.

That is not registration; if there was registration, it would apply no matter if the sale was private or through a dealer. Under registration, they always know who (legally) owns which gun. Under ATF record-keeping, they have to know where to start looking, and unless they know the exact make, model, and serial number of the gun involved, it's pretty much a dead end.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How about a bit of a reverse angle on this question: is there a list or database of firearms reported stolen? As some have suggested, I carry a copy of my receipt; but for those who don't carry one and who may have it confiscated for "investigation," is there any actual list of stolen firearms that can be checked by any LEO?

Also, I looked up the New Orleans municipal code, and there is a law that states that any firearms dealer who sells a firearm in Orleans Parish is supposed to send a copy of the federal form to the Chief of Police. While I suppose that would explain why there are no gun shops in the city of New Orleans, doesn't the state's preemption statute nullify that law?

(Edited for typo)

concerned_citizen

imported post

Guys. I asked a relative of mine, 25+ years as an NOPD officer, and still there. I told him about the stories on this forum and how NOPD officers were asking for proof of purchase. He said, and I quote, "They are full of sh*t". You are not required to produce a receipt. He had never heard of such an incident and said if that EVER happens, get a supervisor on scene right away. It sounds to me like there are a few members of the NOPD that are in much need of some education. I always reccommend OCing in groups and 'arm' yourselves with several recording devices. Know your rights! They CAN take your weapon during an encounter, but if you are legally carrying, they MUST return your weapon to you. Period. I would happily support and participate in some type of OC event if this some on this forum would organize it. I saw on youtube these guys OCing while picking up litter to raise awareness. What an AWESOME idea! So, anyway, excuse my digression, don't fall for the nazi-like 'Papers please' request. Get a supervisor on scene, and most importanly, have a few friends nearby recording but be careful not get slapped with an obstruction charge. Somebody please correct me if I have been misinformed.

charlie12

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
How about a bit of a reverse angle on this question: is there a list or database of firearms reported stolen? As some have suggested, I carry a copy of my receipt; but for those who don't carry one and who may have it confiscated for "investigation," is there any actual list of stolen firearms that can be checked by any LEO?

Also, I looked up the New Orleans municipal code, and there is a law that states that any firearms dealer who sells a firearm in Orleans Parish is supposed to send a copy of the federal form to the Chief of Police. While I suppose that would explain why there are no gun shops in the city of New Orleans, doesn't the state's preemption statute nullify that law?

(Edited for typo)

If a LEO stops you all he has to do is tell the dispatcher to run the gun make model and serial number in the NCIC to see if it's been reported stolen.