• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranges in NWI

squarepeg

imported post

So I am new to guns and actually haven't had the chance to shoot a handgun yet. I'm in NWI and want to know where I can go. So far I have heard about Blythes in Valpo and Debs up in Hammond for indoor ranges. I have heard about Isak Walton outdoor range in Grifith, and from the sounds of it I guess they are open year round (I hear gun fire at my house, I guess you can figure out about where I am from now:shock: ). I have heard of a Michigan City Rifle Club that has their own indoor range for members. I saw a sign for a place called Range Masters on the way to Valpo, but the place looked like they were out of business. Is there anything else in the area?

The reason I am looking for other options is that I only know one guy who might go out shooting with me and he refuses to go to Debs (I think he said something about the cop getting shot or something). Oh and I don't want to shoot outside in freezing weather with 6 inches of snow.

I am also interested in a local lesson for beginners. So far I have only found one, Blythe's.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

disconnect wrote:
Deb's range has lessons... on Sundays I am pretty sure. I am going up there today, I will post for sure on here later...
I shoot at Deb's, and Glenwood Gun Range.

Deb's is much better than Glenwood. The guy who runs Glenwood is an idiot to say the least. He is full of himself, rude to anyone he hasn't known for more than 10 years, and condescending to anyone not living in Illinois and having a FOID card.

benron

imported post

[align=left]i go to debs all the time,its ok with me,i found that the people who run it are very friendly and helpful,so i have no problem,iam just looking for a place thats not to far where i can shoot my ar15
[/align]

NayKid

imported post

Kingsbury Fish & Wildlife Area.

The range has 37 shooting positions: 10 positions at 50 yards, 5 positions at 100 yards, 18 positions at 10, 15 or 25 yards, 4 shotgun stations.

Not sure if they are open in winter. (219) 393-3612

Unoid

imported post

I've been to rangemasters when it was open and recently to blythes.

I plan on going to wilbur wright DNR or kingsbury DNR to shoot ym ar-15 at the 100yrds.

Anyone know if debs or blythes gets pissy if you keep your own brass.? I've ehard stories of nazi ranges that think they're entitled to once used brass. (I'm thinking of reloading in the future)

Prometheus

imported post

Unoid wrote:

I plan on going to wilbur wright DNR or kingsbury DNR to shoot ym ar-15 at the 100yrds.

Anyone know if debs or blythes gets pissy if you keep your own brass.? I've ehard stories of nazi ranges that think they're entitled to once used brass. (I'm thinking of reloading in the future)

They want to keep any brass left from other shooters, however you FULLY entitled to your brass. Never had an issue with that.

They can be nazi's on some of their rules... don't try shooting more than a round every 1-2 seconds or look out! -depending on which one is there.

I usually go to Willow Slough, closest to me, been to kinsbury and winamac too.. I prefer winamac but it's a little far from me.

Unoid

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
Unoid wrote:

They want to keep any brass left from other shooters, however you FULLY entitled to your brass. Never had an issue with that.

They can be nazi's on some of their rules... don't try shooting more than a round every 1-2 seconds or look out! -depending on which one is there.

I usually go to Willow Slough, closest to me, been to kinsbury and winamac too.. I prefer winamac but it's a little far from me.
I'm from Hobart, I wasn't aware willow slough had an outdoor public range.

Waiting for weather to clear up so I can sight in my first ar-15 :)

Maybe we can get a g2g for an outdoor public range.

bongo968

imported post

willow slough does have a nice range, you can drive right up to where you are shooting. LaSalle conservation on Rt 10 just west of 41 is gone as of December, said the state cut funds. I offered to bush hog the place once a week and do some general cleanup once in a while, but they thought it would be better to spend countless tax$$$$ and spend a weekend to bulldoz it. But that is our govt. in action....unbeleiveable ! !span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

mac45

imported post

I usually go to the Izaak Walton League in Griffith.
When it's warmer, I try and get out to Willow Slough once a month or so.
Kingsbury is nice also.

squarepeg

imported post

Does the Izaak Walton League in Griffith allow handguns? All I can find on their website is info about rifle benches and a 25 yard sighting requirement. Also how busy does it get over there? The club info says they have something like 500 members at that club hall.

HMDGLOCK

imported post

I shoot at the Whiting Gun Club. All you have to do is join the Whiting FOP for $20 a year and you can shoot there all year long for FREE. Its open 24/7. You go to the Whiting Police station pick up the key and the Gun Club is in whiting park. The only thing that is bad about the range is that its old. It not very nice, but it gets the job down. It also is not heated. I was thinking about inviting everybody one day in the spring to go shoot when it gets warmer. For how much I shoot it saves me a lot of money.

squarepeg

imported post

Man there are a lot of places to go. I didn't know there were that many when I started this thread. I kinda hope that Izaak Walton allows handguns, because for the 65 membership, I live nearby and would be able to stop on the way home or whatever.

mac45

imported post

Yes, you can shoot handguns.
If I remember correctly, you can shoot pretty much anything except armor piercing, tracers, incendiary, and .50 BMG.
No full auto, and only slugs with a shotgun.
No reactive targets, paper only.

It's a pretty small range. There's one bench at 25 yd, and another at 50yd, and you can only use one bench at a time.
There is room for two people at a time on either bench.
You do have to sit at the bench to shoot.

Generaly not crowded. I think there's only been a couple times I had to share with anyone. Not a big deal really. the folks there are pretty nice. As often as not, if I have to share, I get to try whatever they're shooting.

If you like trap, they have a trap shoot every Thursday.
(They're actually out there as I write this, snow and all!)

I think it's a pretty nice place, with some pretty nice people.
The calander is on the club web page
http://www.giwla.org
You can always stop by on a meeting night and take a look.

cekestner

imported post

There is also the Glen Park Ikes at Mississipi & 57th avenue in Merrillville. Trap range (trap every Wed eve and Sat AM, plus an ATA match on first Sunday of each month). Indoor pistol range has 4 stations, 50'. $ 87/annum to all comers.

There is also a Miller Ikes group. I think they have indoor pistol. Dunno long guns.

North Porter County Conservation Club ( http://www.npccc.net ) has a nice outdoor range. IDPA and steel plate shoots every month. 100yd rifle range. $ 100/annum plus work hours plus vetting. Go to one of the steel plate shoots, which are open to the public.

Michigan City Rifle Club ( http://www.michigancityrifleclub.com ) Trap, pistol and rifle. Indoor pistol range has 10-12 stations. 200yd rifle range. $ 100/annum plus work hours plus vetting. Go to one of the IDPA shoots, which are open to the public.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

squarepeg wrote:
I have heard of a Michigan City Rifle Club that has their own indoor range for members.

I live here in Michigan City, and shoot IDPA weekly at the MCRC indoor range.

It is very nice, with an outdoor rifle and pistol range, shotgun skeet events, etc.

The IDPA events are every Wednesday, at 6:30 pm, indoors, and every second Sunday of the month, on an outdoor course. They are open to the public, a five dollar fee.

With membership in the club, you can use the facilities any time.