• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranges in NWI

Jubbie

imported post

There is a new range being built, unfortunately you have to be a LEO to use it. It'll be for Griffith, Highland, Munster, & Schererville officers. Just nice knowing they are doing something to help train officers better, maybe they'll all know us OC'ers are legal. If anybody is an associate FOP member in any of those cities let us know if you can use the range.

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/10/15/news/lake_county/docef2d899b85dd6c0d862574e2007dfc8b.txt

Prometheus

imported post

Jubbie wrote:
There is a new range being built, unfortunately you have to be a LEO to use it. It'll be for Griffith, Highland, Munster, & Schererville officers. Just nice knowing they are doing something to help train officers better, maybe they'll all know us OC'ers are legal. If anybody is an associate FOP member in any of those cities let us know if you can use the range.

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/10/15/news/lake_county/docef2d899b85dd6c0d862574e2007dfc8b.txt
Taxpayers are paying for it, but can't use it. I hope the residents of those 4 towns start raising hell.

I seriously doubt the cops will be training 24/7. Shared usage with the people paying for it is only fair.

7588merc

imported post

has anyone had experiences at these shooting ranges without being 21? debs wont let you shoot unless your 21

Prometheus

imported post

7588merc wrote:
has anyone had experiences at these shooting ranges without being 21? debs wont let you shoot unless your 21
Are you sure about that?

They won't rent to you or sell you ammo... but letting you shoot your own firearm? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

If they don't, you can shoot there if you are under 18 with someone over age. If that's 18 or 21 I'm not sure, but lots of people bring their kids in.

As for the state ranges, you will need a handgun license if asked for it. Age to use the range on your own is 18.

7588merc

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
7588merc wrote:
Are you sure about that?

They won't rent to you or sell you ammo... but letting you shoot your own firearm? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

If they don't, you can shoot there if you are under 18 with someone over age. If that's 18 or 21 I'm not sure, but lots of people bring their kids in.

As for the state ranges, you will need a handgun license if asked for it. Age to use the range on your own is 18.

yes im sure, well surprise!i went there 2 weeks ago on my own and was denied because im not 21. i thought it was bull@#$%, even after payinf for everything, i brought my own ammo. according to the guy there you cannot own a gun until you're 21. that guys a dumbass. im 20 by the way.

7588merc

imported post

prometheus can you tell me more about the gun club in whiting? the fact that its a 24/7 range is perfect and its pretty close to home. where do i sign up? is there a number?

Prometheus

imported post

7588merc wrote:
prometheus can you tell me more about the gun club in whiting? the fact that its a 24/7 range is perfect and its pretty close to home. where do i sign up? is there a number?
I'm not a member, someone else here is IIRC though. I don't think it's 24/7 either, I thought it was a dusk till dawn thing.

Also contact Deb about shooting there. Who ever you talked to was an obvious idiot telling you can't own a handgun until 21. I saw a couple of new faces in there in the past few months. They may think it's 21 only because as a FFL they can't sell handguns or handgun ammo to anyone under 21.

You should have showed him your license to carry and asked him why the state police issued you a license to carry something you can't own, :lol:

7588merc

imported post

i wrote them a complaint letter but havent gotten any response. should i just call her? what days is she there?

Jubbie

imported post

I'm the one who mentioned Whiting. I haven't really tried going at all hours, just during daytime so far. There are lights inside the building for shooting. It's not a great place to shoot, but it's free to use when you become an associate member of the Whiting FOP. Just head up to the Whiting Police Dept. and ask to become an associate member. I still need to get up there to renew my membership since I missed the annual dinner. Yesterday I tried going to the Hammond Police Dept. to join their FOP, but they aren't open on the weekend. Which means they more than likely don't have a gun range for members to use.

As far as Deb's goes, I stopped by once to look at holsters. Never ventured to the basement since I go to Whiting. I'd rather just go to Blythe's in Griffith if I need anything, they have more room for more product.

12magnum

imported post

Another range I didn't see listed is at the Gunshop in downtown Crown Point. Not the greatest facility, but usable. I forget the name of the shop but is right across the street from the old courthouse. I'm not sure what the largest caliber is that they allow, but i bought a 44 magnum there, so they gave me some free range time. Also as a side note that if you want to order a gun through shotgun news, gunbroker or whatever and have it shipped there, they charge a cheap flat fee for transfer (20 or 25 bucks i think)

i am a member over at the glen park Isaak Walton league.I have been a member for about a year now, and have gone to the indoor range about 10 times.Only once was somone else there. The indoor range allows non magnum handguns, andonly 22 rifles. They also dont allow 17 hmr (i guess bullet fragments were bouncing back) range closes at 10 pm.Once you become a member they give you a card key that opens the outer gate, and thedoor to theindoor range.

I f you are interested in joining, Come onout to the trap shooting on wednesday evening (5pm i believe) or saturday morning.To shoot trap you don't need to be a member, they just charge slightly more per round.

RHVette

imported post

Kingsbury if I can, Blythe's if I have to. Blythe's used to be nice, but every time I go there, it seems like it gets just a little bit crappier. I was there a few weeks ago and three of the lanes were broken.

squarepeg

imported post

Just a note on Blythes, It is downright cold in there. They have excelent ventilation and very poor heat. I had to shoot with my jacket on and all when I went on a 40 degree day. I like the fact that there is no time limit on your shooting. Last time I think I shot for about 2 hours.

Edit: Oh and as for the one in Crown Point. it WAS called CNI (Bait and tackle). Word through the grape vine told me that he retired and closed the shop a few months back. I haven't driven out that way, but many a people have told me this.