• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Runaway hog shot on school property

DSF Training

imported post

Should I have posted this under True Tales of Self Defense! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Runaway hog shot on school property
State won't prosecute neighborhood butcher

PostedSaturday, February 2, 2008

GREENWOOD -- A rifle-toting butcher, his son and grandson chased an escaped hog into a Mennonite schoolyard this week.

There is no punch line.

The, uh, chase started when the 300-pound hog broke through a rotted pen at Tommy Tucker's butcher shop and made its dash for freedom Wednesday -- a dash that took it onto the grounds of the Greenwood Mennonite School.

When Tucker realized the hog had bolted, he knew he had to act quickly.

"The first thing you think about is, go get it and kill it," said Tucker, 61. "I was thinking about the safety of the kids."

So Tucker grabbed a .22-caliber rifle and he, his son and grandson jumped into a pickup truck and drove after the future bacon.

Down the road, children at the Mennonite school were outside on the playground.

But when teachers saw the 300-pounder approaching, they hustled the students inside.

Soon, the Tuckers were on the scene and they herded the hog away from the school into a field and shot it once. Then they took it across the road into another field and killed it.

What the three men didn't realize was the field in which they fired the first shot belonged to the school -- leading to a state police investigation of firing a weapon in a school zone.

On Friday, Tucker got good news: The state won't prosecute.

The remorseful butcher said the next time he has to deal with something like that, he'll leave the gun behind.

"If I had to do it over again, I'd not have done it," Tucker said. "I was thinking that the hog's going to root the ground up, it's liable to run into one of the kids."

Even a domesticated hog, such as the one that almost got away, can be dangerous running loose in an unfamiliar place, he said.

Sheldon Swartzentruber, school board president for the 220-student school east of Greenwood, said there was never any danger to students from either the hog or the shooting.

Tucker said the shot his son, Jimmy, fired near the school didn't go through the hog, and he was aiming away from the building.

Delaware State Police Cpl. Wes Barnett said neither the school nor Tucker reported the incident. Police were alerted by a local television station.

Swartzentruber said the school didn't contact police because no one was hurt. He said Tucker is a longtime friend of the school, volunteering as an auctioneer at fundraisers.

"It was just one of those impulse things that just kind of happened," Swartzentruber said.

Barnett said the Attorney General's Office declined Friday to prosecute the case. Tucker said Friday afternoon that he hadn't been contacted, but was relieved to hear the news.

"I'm not a criminal," said Tucker, who has run a butcher shop with his wife off and on since 1975. He also farms on 600 acres nearby.

Swartzentruber said the incident isn't likely to repeat itself.

"I do understand the concern about a firearm on school property," he said. "It was kind of a unique situation that sort of got blown out of proportion."

As for the hog, it ended up in the same place it was headed before the escape.

The meat is now sitting in Tucker's freezer, waiting for its owner to pick it up.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

It's stories like this that give gun owners a bad name.

"It was just one of those impulse things that just kind of happened," Swartzentruber said.
WTF??!! :cuss:

So, taking chase into the public w/ guns ready to shoot an animal NEAR children (Mennonite children even!) was just an impulse?? OMG. and after shooting it, they had to take it somewhere else to actually kill it?

I'm glad he's not my butcher. I'd have an "impulse thing" to slap him upside his head.

Let's see:

1. Discharging a weapon in a School Zone
2. Discharging a weapon NOT in self defense
3. Discharging a weapon near children (Mennonite children)
4. Needing to kill it after shooting it
5. anything else? Other statutes/ordinances broken?

Yeah, not the best way to make the public like gun owners.

PT111

imported post

4. Needing to kill it after shooting it

Proper way to do it. You do not shoot to kill a hog because you want to bleed it. Put one shot with a .22 between the eyes and while the heart is still beating you cut the jugular vein to get as much blood out as possible. Otherwise the blood will taint the meat and give it a bad taste.

Watched my grandfather kill many many hogs like that and even reached the point that he allowed me to do it.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

PT111 wrote
Proper way to do it. You do not shoot to kill a hog because you want to bleed it. Put one shot with a .22 between the eyes and while the heart is still beating you cut the jugular vein to get as much blood out as possible. Otherwise the blood will taint the meat and give it a bad taste.

Well, OK, if you say so. I'm no butcher or hunter....

I was just coming from the "cruelty to animals" and "humane treatment" and "put it out of its misery" aspect...

Still, despite whether #4 is good or bad, there were those other issues..... :uhoh:

Tomahawk

imported post

So? Mennonites use guns, IIRC. The fact that the school officials didn't think it was worth calling the cops says volumes about the difference between a Mennonite school and a whiny bed-wetting public school.

PT111

imported post

There may have been other issuses but I didn't really see anything wrong with what he did other than it being technically illegal. They immediately took off after the hog and were using a .22 rifle which is probably what they normally use. They made sure it was away from the shool and the teachers made sure the children were in the building. They could have handled it differently but I am not going to rake them over the coals for this. As for self-defense if ever you get a 300 pound sow after you trying to protect her pigs you may change your mind about self-defense. :what:I once jumped a 4' fence with barbed wire on top in a single bound. Highest I have ever jumped I do believe.:p

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

So? Mennonites use guns, IIRC. The fact that the school officials didn't think it was worth calling the cops says volumes about the difference between a Mennonite school and a whiny bed-wetting public school.
I was coming from the fact that not too long ago, a madman opened fire and killed a bunch of Amish School children in Lancaster County, PA. The Amish and Mennonites are a more "simple" people, and relatively "mellow" (i.e. more non-violent) with things. The whole fact of people w/ guns coming onto their school property could have scared them and brought back memories....

But, if you want, we can remove #3 and #4....

PT111 wrote:
There may have been other issuses but I didn't really see anything wrong with what he did other than it being technically illegal. They immediately took off after the hog and were using a .22 rifle which is probably what they normally use. They made sure it was away from the shool and the teachers made sure the children were in the building. They could have handled it differently but I am not going to rake them over the coals for this. As for self-defense if ever you get a 300 pound sow after you trying to protect her pigs you may change your mind about self-defense.
Well, there it is: technically illegal. You said it.

And I could be wrong, but I don't recall from the article that the pig was charging the men. I don't think they were in immediate danger of life and limb. Which is what self-defense laws usually state as justification.

But, it sounds like I'm just overreacting here, so toss out #1 and #2 as well.

I wonder though, if it were a different State, a different school, or a different butcher, if the outcome would have been much different.

Tomahawk

imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
I wonder though, if it were a different State, a different school, or a different butcher, if the outcome would have been much different.
You betcha. I'm fairly certain that NY, for instance, would go out of its way to make an example of this guy. When it comes to firearms, geography means a helluva lot.

PT111

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
dave_in_delaware wrote:
You betcha. I'm fairly certain that NY, for instance, would go out of its way to make an example of this guy. When it comes to firearms, geography means a helluva lot.
I guaranteeeeeeeee ya. Here is SC I coubt that you would get much flack but in californicate the press would be all over this for days. In fact in SC one of the chirdren would probably have shot it before the men got there. It's not legal by any means but we do have a BIG problem with students carrying guns to school. Most of the time they just shoot themselves.:banghead:

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
And I could be wrong, but I don't recall from the article that the pig was charging the men. I don't think they were in immediate danger of life and limb. Which is what self-defense laws usually state as justification.

If I understand correctly, self-defense laws apply to the use of force against another human being. Some apply to dogs that belong to others. Iwould be suprised ifthere areany legal restrictions on killing a piece of livestock if it is posing a danger.

As some have already pointed out, those of us raised around hogs can tell you that they aren't the cuddle little critters shown in movies like Babe.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Funny you mention this -- just had a question pertaining to this in my criminal law course last week and it was my contention that pets are, indeed, property and would be applied to the statutes in that manner. So, technically, you could shoot to protect your dog (property), but shooting it in self-defense wouldn't hold you to the restrictions listed in that law.

vmathis12019 wrote:
If I understand correctly, self-defense laws apply to the use of force against another human being. Some apply to dogs that belong to others. Iwould be suprised ifthere areany legal restrictions on killing a piece of livestock if it is posing a danger.