• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A question about the "restaraunt ban"

hsmith

imported post

I was just browsing through subsection J and reread the restaurant ban...

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
Now, the section of the law specifically states, it isn't allowed. BUT, it addresses no legal recourse for the action.

But, it seems all other subsections for J do assign legal remedies for CC in one...

J1. ...Upon such conviction that court shall revoke the person's permit for a concealed handgun and promptly notify the issuing circuit court. A person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall be ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years...

J2. An individual who has a felony charge pending or a charge pending for an offense listed in subdivision E 14 or E 15, holding a permit for a concealed handgun, may have the permit suspended by the court before which such charge is pending or by the court that issued the permit.

J4. Any individual for whom it would be unlawful to purchase, possess or transport a firearm under § 18.2-308.1:2 or 18.2-308.1:3, who holds a concealed handgun permit, may have the permit suspended by the court that issued the permit during the period of incompetency, incapacity or disability.
So is there no punishment for CC in a restaurant, or am I missing that section of VA code all together?

mobeewan

imported post

It falls back under the main section which describes what a concealed weapon is and what the penalties for carrying one. This would also be the case for carrying a concealed weapon in any other place you are not allowed to unless there is a different penalty for that particular place called out as is the case for carrying on school grounds.

TEX1N

imported post

I've heard arguments that it could go either way, fall back to a class 1 misdemeanor or be left to the judge to decide. To my knowledge there isn't any case law on a J3 violation, so it would probably depend on the how good your attorney is, the prosecutor, and the judge.

Hopefully SB 476 will fix this! (At lease for CHP holders.)