Thread: SB6861 Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity

Post imported post

This bill would eliminate the language that prevents us from having reciprocity with a state that issues permits to people under the age of 21. So here's my question. Are there any states like that? Does this bill actually add any states to our reciprocity list or is it just a feel good or for down the road.

Post imported post

This bill may add reciprocity to other states that allow person under 21 to have a concealed license. It allows the AG to enter into an agreement with a state that issues licenses to persons under 21 but Wa will only recognize that state if the person is at least 21.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    This bill may add reciprocity to other states that allow person under 21 to have a concealed license. It allows the AG to enter into an agreement with a state that issues licenses to persons under 21 but Wa will only recognize that state if the person is at least 21.
    That was sort of my question. What states issue licenses to persons under 21?

Post imported post

I'm not sure off the top of my head but there is somewhere around 10. It could conceivably double our reciprocity states.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

I beleive Idaho is on that list.

Idaho already recognizes our permits, but we do not recognize theirs. This should fix that.

Post imported post

Why are not CPLs included under the federal law that requires the the states to recongized each others permits and licenses, ie drivers licenses and such? A bit of discrimination maybe?

Post imported post

It would allow reciprocity with Texas for one. In general Texas require a person to be 21 to be issued a CHL, but military personnel (including Reserves, National Guard, and State Guard members) to be issued one at 18.

Post imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    I beleive Idaho is on that list.

Idaho already recognizes our permits, but we do not recognize theirs. This should fix that.
    Maybe. They have to meet the requirements of Wa. other than age also in order to enter into an agreement of reciprocity. The one big downfall for Wa. is that we require the other state to have a statute of reciprocity that allows Wa CPL holders to carry in the other state. Some states do not have a statute, they simply enter into a written agreement.

Post imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
    It would allow reciprocity with Texas for one. In general Texas require a person to be 21 to be issued a CHL, but military personnel (including Reserves, National Guard, and State Guard members) to be issued one at 18.
    Texas already honors ours, it is just that we do not honor thiers because of the age for military personel. If this passes I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before Texas is added. There is no need for discussion between the two states as they already honor ours. It should be an open and closed deal.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I always thought this should take care of the whole recipcrocity thing... From the US Constitution

Article IV Section 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Section 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

State Researcher

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    That was sort of my question. What states issue licenses to persons under 21?
    The other problem in Washington's reciprocity law is a requirement that reciprocal states conduct fingerprint-based background checks for criminal and mental health history. Although most states fingerprint for criminal background checks, many do not meet that second part. Washington should further simplify its law by eliminating this requirement, which would result in a substantial expansion of your reciprocity with other states.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    The other problem in Washington's reciprocity law is a requirement that reciprocal states conduct fingerprint-based background checks for criminal and mental health history. Although most states fingerprint for criminal background checks, many do not meet that second part. Washington should further simplify its law by eliminating this requirement, which would result in a substantial expansion of your reciprocity with other states.
    Maybe wording along the lines of "states who conduct fingerprint based background checks to determine if an applicant is prohibited from owning a firearm" would cover it.

Post imported post

Reciprocity will also be difficult with States that require training in order to obtain a CCW license/permit. Washington has no such requirement and is one reason that WA's CPL is not honored in many states.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

State Researcher

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    Reciprocity will also be difficult with States that require training in order to obtain a CCW license/permit. Washington has no such requirement and is one reason that WA's CPL is not honored in many states.
    The only states in which the lack of a training requirement is a dealbreaker are Delaware, Kansas, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, and South Carolina.

Washington should pass this bill and eliminate its requirement that background checks be fingerprint-based (several states, including AL, KY, MN, NH, ND, PA, SD, VA*, and WV, do not fingerprint; VA fingerprints for criminal background checks for nonresident permits and first-time applicants in counties and cities that have local fingerprinting ordinances).

Ideally, Washington would recognize all other states' licenses/permits. See West Virginia Senate Bill 228 (2008) for an example of a good universal recognition law that will maximize reciprocity opportunities with other states.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

Idaho recognizes every other states' permits, but requires a person to be 21 or older, so apparently this bill would do nothing to get Idaho reciprocity with Washington.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Sage of Seattle wrote:
    Idaho recognizes every other states' permits, but requires a person to be 21 or older, so apparently this bill would do nothing to get Idaho reciprocity with Washington.
    It is my understanding that ID is "SHALL ISSUE" for 21+ but that there is a provision allowing 18+ at the sheriffs discretion... making 18+ "May Issue"

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    I always thought this should take care of the whole recipcrocity thing... From the US Constitution

Article IV Section 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Section 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.
    Actually the part that should take care of it is:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post imported post

Should I volunteer to bea test case when I travel to the People's Republic of California next week?

Post imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
    Should I volunteer to bea test case when I travel to the People's Republic of California next week?
    Go ahead, but remember the Peoples Republic doesn't believe the Constitution, the US or their own, apply to them anymore.

Post imported post

I did say should.

Post imported post

WVCDL wrot
    Virginia State Police do not issue concealed carry permits to:
    An individual who has received mental health treatment or substance abuse treatment in a residential setting within five years prior to the date of his application for a concealed handgun permit. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

So if the mental patient was not admitted into a residential treatment center, or if his treatment was more than 5 years ago, he can still get a concealed carry permit in Virgina.
    It seems strange that a private sector, non-government background search of public records can return a lot more information than the government checks. An Internet background search record check gives phone number, address, address history for 30 years, age, birthdates, household members, relatives, associates, property ownership, lawsuits, marriage, divorce, criminal records check, sex offenders, terrorist watch, bankruptcy, tax liens. And their reports are immediately available. So why cannot the government do as good a job? Oh, nix that question.