• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB6861 Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity

heresolong

imported post

This bill would eliminate the language that prevents us from having reciprocity with a state that issues permits to people under the age of 21. So here's my question. Are there any states like that? Does this bill actually add any states to our reciprocity list or is it just a feel good or for down the road.

joeroket

imported post

This bill may add reciprocity to other states that allow person under 21 to have a concealed license. It allows the AG to enter into an agreement with a state that issues licenses to persons under 21 but Wa will only recognize that state if the person is at least 21.

heresolong

imported post

joeroket wrote:
This bill may add reciprocity to other states that allow person under 21 to have a concealed license. It allows the AG to enter into an agreement with a state that issues licenses to persons under 21 but Wa will only recognize that state if the person is at least 21.
That was sort of my question. What states issue licenses to persons under 21?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Why are not CPLs included under the federal law that requires the the states to recongized each others permits and licenses, ie drivers licenses and such? A bit of discrimination maybe?

hirundo82

imported post

It would allow reciprocity with Texas for one. In general Texas require a person to be 21 to be issued a CHL, but military personnel (including Reserves, National Guard, and State Guard members) to be issued one at 18.

joeroket

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I beleive Idaho is on that list.

Idaho already recognizes our permits, but we do not recognize theirs. This should fix that.
Maybe. They have to meet the requirements of Wa. other than age also in order to enter into an agreement of reciprocity. The one big downfall for Wa. is that we require the other state to have a statute of reciprocity that allows Wa CPL holders to carry in the other state. Some states do not have a statute, they simply enter into a written agreement.

joeroket

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
It would allow reciprocity with Texas for one. In general Texas require a person to be 21 to be issued a CHL, but military personnel (including Reserves, National Guard, and State Guard members) to be issued one at 18.
Texas already honors ours, it is just that we do not honor thiers because of the age for military personel. If this passes I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before Texas is added. There is no need for discussion between the two states as they already honor ours. It should be an open and closed deal.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I always thought this should take care of the whole recipcrocity thing... From the US Constitution

Article IV Section 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Section 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

heresolong wrote:
joeroket wrote:
That was sort of my question. What states issue licenses to persons under 21?
The other problem in Washington's reciprocity law is a requirement that reciprocal states conduct fingerprint-based background checks for criminal and mental health history. Although most states fingerprint for criminal background checks, many do not meet that second part. Washington should further simplify its law by eliminating this requirement, which would result in a substantial expansion of your reciprocity with other states.

heresolong

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
The other problem in Washington's reciprocity law is a requirement that reciprocal states conduct fingerprint-based background checks for criminal and mental health history. Although most states fingerprint for criminal background checks, many do not meet that second part. Washington should further simplify its law by eliminating this requirement, which would result in a substantial expansion of your reciprocity with other states.
Maybe wording along the lines of "states who conduct fingerprint based background checks to determine if an applicant is prohibited from owning a firearm" would cover it.

amlevin

imported post

Reciprocity will also be difficult with States that require training in order to obtain a CCW license/permit. Washington has no such requirement and is one reason that WA's CPL is not honored in many states.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

amlevin wrote:
Reciprocity will also be difficult with States that require training in order to obtain a CCW license/permit. Washington has no such requirement and is one reason that WA's CPL is not honored in many states.
The only states in which the lack of a training requirement is a dealbreaker are Delaware, Kansas, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, and South Carolina.

Washington should pass this bill and eliminate its requirement that background checks be fingerprint-based (several states, including AL, KY, MN, NH, ND, PA, SD, VA*, and WV, do not fingerprint; VA fingerprints for criminal background checks for nonresident permits and first-time applicants in counties and cities that have local fingerprinting ordinances).

Ideally, Washington would recognize all other states' licenses/permits. See West Virginia Senate Bill 228 (2008) for an example of a good universal recognition law that will maximize reciprocity opportunities with other states.

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Idaho recognizes every other states' permits, but requires a person to be 21 or older, so apparently this bill would do nothing to get Idaho reciprocity with Washington.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sage of Seattle wrote:
Idaho recognizes every other states' permits, but requires a person to be 21 or older, so apparently this bill would do nothing to get Idaho reciprocity with Washington.
It is my understanding that ID is "SHALL ISSUE" for 21+ but that there is a provision allowing 18+ at the sheriffs discretion... making 18+ "May Issue"

hirundo82

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I always thought this should take care of the whole recipcrocity thing... From the US Constitution

Article IV Section 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Section 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

Actually the part that should take care of it is:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Should I volunteer to bea test case when I travel to the People's Republic of California next week?
Go ahead, but remember the Peoples Republic doesn't believe the Constitution, the US or their own, apply to them anymore.
rolleyes.gif