• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey I am new to the open carry world

Nate245

imported post

Hello my name is Nate and i am 19yrs old. I have oc'd since Dec. 2007 Thats when I got my first pistol witch is a XD45 I have only gone out and shot it once and loved the way it shot. I go every where with my gun. If I cant take it in I leave it in my car. I was wondering if it is legal to have your shirt tucked in and have the gun in a holster but in the front of your pants? I ask this because I don't always wear cloths that have a belt loop. Sorry If this is a no brainer to you all. Like I said I am new to the oc world.

-Thanks

Nate

casullshooter

imported post

Most LE agencies would want all of the gun that would normally be visible in sight as if the holster was worn normally. This method of carry may attract attention as it is the way criminals carry, less the holster.

These things also vary state to state, so watch for responses from others in your state.

Keep safe and alert.........

Nate245

imported post

Thanks I want to stay legal so maybe it is just time to get new cloths that all have belt loops. I do not want to come a cross as a criminal or make the oc world less liked by others.

-Nate

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

It sounds to me like you're in danger of concealment. Remember, laws are open to interpretation by the LEO involved. This may cause problems in the future with some LEO who has nothing better to do than to harrass you. Also, I didn't catch the type of holster you have shoved down the front of your pants. Is it designed for this purpose? If it isn't this will slow your draw when the time comes to protect yourself. Good thing the XD had a number of different safeties. I'm always overly cautious with shoving firearms down the front of my pants(if you know what I mean).:shock:OUCH!

r6-rider

imported post

if it were outside you pants i wouldnt see any problem but if you were to put it IWB i could defiantly see cops stopping you for that. like placement said, thats pulling it close for concealmeant

Nate245

imported post

The holster is an Uncle Mike's Side kickwith a strap that goes over the firearm. Yeah I see your point about putting the firearm in the front on your pants. I have only done that once and it did not last long seeing as it was not that comfortable so I left Thegun in the car. Well I oc'd to walmart today (the normal way)and got some interesting looks some that looked like a was a freak that should be locked up you know what I mean. But I have still yet to be confronted by anyone. You know if I ever get confronted I would have to askthat personif they had a need for CPR at any point would they want me to perform it? Then I would say if someone tried to rob or harmyou would they like me to step in and try to stop whoever was doing the harm?? That is if I was confronted by a citizen not a police officer. Am I to up front? Would that go bad? or is that a good way to show them that I am just trying to make the world a better and safer place to live in.

like_the_roman

imported post

In Arizona, as long as some part of the gun/holster is partially visible to other people, then you are not concealing (at least according to the state legislature - individual LEOs might have a different take.)

My XD9 Tactical is nearly impossible to hide - the long barrel sticks out at least an inch from the bottom of my shirt, so I'm rarely ever in danger of completely concealing the thing.

bbvk05

imported post

careful with that. The courts have drawn circles around us with regard to what constitutes concealed. You need to have the gun completely visible to not be considered concealed.

I know what the statute says, but the federal judges in california have re-written our laws and police agencies are following what they said. Keep it in a belt holster that is not covered at all.