• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carryon Max light rail

SetivaSicWood

imported post

I initally posted this as a thread on the Northwest Citizens Defense League/Northwest OpenCarry Forums and felt it would worth reposting here.....

Here is a topic ripe for consideration and debate. The open caring of handguns while riding 'Portlands" light rail system. For those of us living near the greater Portland area, the effects of crime and violence due to lack of security has become a real concern. In spite of the absolute rise in crimes perpetuated on the train and it's surrounding platforms, Tri-Met has and continues to fail in providing adequate security (funded yet unstaffed). As well, there is a unified effort to stifle reports of the ever-growing dangers to its rider ship and the public at large; as the "Crime train" rolls through our neighborhoods.

Despite voting against the systems expansion, tracks are being laid north into Vancouver Wa. and south to Salem. With it will come the crime that is presently plaguing its east to west routing.

While I firmly believe the action of open carry on the rail system would send a clear message to potential parasites, that their potential victim base has been reduced; it might also make them aware of the potential repercussions to their own heath and well being.

What concerns me as much as the crime issue is the potential fall out against those who would choose to display their means of personal protection in such a visible way.

I look forward to your thoughts, insights, and opinions on this issue.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
I initally posted this as a thread on the Northwest Citizens Defense League/Northwest OpenCarry Forums and felt it would worth reposting here.....

Here is a topic ripe for consideration and debate. The open caring of handguns while riding 'Portlands" light rail system. For those of us living near the greater Portland area, the effects of crime and violence due to lack of security has become a real concern. In spite of the absolute rise in crimes perpetuated on the train and it's surrounding platforms, Tri-Met has and continues to fail in providing adequate security (funded yet unstaffed). As well, there is a unified effort to stifle reports of the ever-growing dangers to its rider ship and the public at large; as the "Crime train" rolls through our neighborhoods.

Despite voting against the systems expansion, tracks are being laid north into Vancouver Wa. and south to Salem. With it will come the crime that is presently plaguing its east to west routing.

While I firmly believe the action of open carry on the rail system would send a clear message to potential parasites, that their potential victim base has been reduced; it might also make them aware of the potential repercussions to their own heath and well being.

What concerns me as much as the crime issue is the potential fall out against those who would choose to display their means of personal protection in such a visible way.

I look forward to your thoughts, insights, and opinions on this issue.
One thing to keep in mind is that it's legal to carry on a MAX train while open carrying, however, if you're in a city that requires has a loaded handgun ban, you must have a CHL to exempt.

Second, let's also dispel some hyperbole. Voters did vote down a line to Vancouver, however that was for a specific tax. TriMet found other sources of funding for the MAX Yellow Line, which came from public-private partnerships. The new bridge across the Columbia will contain light rail tracks that'll allow for an extension into Vancouver.

The "tracks being laid to Salem" is not part of the light rail system, it's part of a commuter train system called "Wes". Commuter train, not light rail.

That being said, I've open carried on TriMet MAX before without issue. I encourage others to do so the same, within the law.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Thanks Lonnie, I have great respect for you, your efforts, and the solid info you provide regarding the open carry issue.

I guess I have a hard time overlooking the irony that all rail lines present and proposed seem to be tied into cities which have adoptedloaded handgun bans.

Nonetheless, the crime element has the potential to spread there too, as it has over the Max system.

The notion of open carry as a way to educate people away from gun law myths is a noble venture. I enjoy engaging and informing folks as often as the opportunity presents itself. I can account for 2 more Oregonians who are in the process of obtaining their CHLs. (We are all looking into Utah's license, but right now we are cooking one goose at a time)

OK allow me to cut to the bone here. I believe a profound and positive message can be made "If" citizens banded together and exercise their right to carryhandguns openly.

I firmly believe the rise in crime lately is simply because the parasitic element is embolden because there is nothing in place to stop them. No deterrence to speak of.

If perhaps 20 or so CHL holdersbroke into groups of 2 or 3 andspread out over the system during the evening hours and weekends, I think it could go a long way towards getting "our" message our as well as encouraging the crime component to find other modes of transportation.

If anyone else is interested in taking part in a bit of civil activism I'd be more than happy to throw my time into the “experiment”

I firmly believe the rise in crime lately is simply because the parasitic element is enbolden because there is nothing in palce to stop them. No deturance to speak of.

If perpahs 20 or so CHL holdersbroke into groups of 2 or 3 andspread out over the system during the evening hours and weekends, I think it could go a long way towards getting "our" message our as well as encourging the crime component to find other modes of transportantion.

grishnav

imported post

I'm game to perodically OC on the max with 1-2 other people. It's fun to ride from one side to the other every now and again. :)

Available evenings and weekends!

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Thanks for your interest. Thus far I have been contacted by 5 individules who are also interested in utilizing open carry practices for positive effects on the light rail.

At the moment I am battling with this damned super flu bug, and am refraining from infecting others as this is with out question the worst virus I have ever caught!

My hope is to start our campain in March.

Do you think it would be wise to consider issusing a "press release" to inform folks of our intentions and begin to garner public reaction; both positive and negitive?

There are several logistical issues to be worked out as well. Any and all input would be greatly appricated.

grishnav

imported post

The only thing I'd be worried about is presenting a vigilante image. We'd have to be really ready and prepared to fight that. Pamphlets, coaching on dealing with the other people... if we're gonna do this thing, lets do it right! :)