• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reckless Driving : Caroline County - VA

jayesh14

imported post

Can you please clarify a little more about what you meant by"few thousand dollars" and "Civil fees out".

jayesh14

imported post

I have a couple of lawyers quoting:

One is charging $450, and is confident of changing it to speeding "in all likelihood if the cop has no objection".

Anotherwants$600, has asked for certifying my driving record from DMV in each state I had license, to prove I had no driving related tickets. He estimates fine of $200-$300.

Anyone else had similar experience?

Again, I was 86/65 on I95 in caroline county, and never had driving related tickets before (2 registration and inspection tickets in 2006)

Decoligny

imported post

sao_va wrote:
on I-95 while coming back to Richmond,VA from New Jersey. The cop clocked me going 86mph over 65mph speed limit,
WOW :what:

86 mph over the 65 speed limit.......that's 151 mph.:shock:

They'll lock you up and throw away they key. :lol::lol:

Sleepless

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
sao_va wrote:
on I-95 while coming back to Richmond,VA from New Jersey. The cop clocked me going 86mph over 65mph speed limit,
WOW :what:

86 mph over the 65 speed limit.......that's 151 mph.:shock:

They'll lock you up and throw away they key. :lol::lol:

Ehh I think sao_va means that he drove 86mph on a 65mph road and not 151mph on a 65mph road but I could be mistaken, but 151mph sounds like the person will never again be allowed to drive and be in jail for a long time. :shock:

Whatever you do, DON'T DROP THE SOAP. :lol:

Hopefully sao_va can clarify exactly what he meant. :)

Thndr

imported post

I am not sure that this has gone to court and this is just my opinion.

Get a lawyer and try to get it reduced. Simply put talk to some local lawyers and see what they say. Most will give you an idea of what chance they think they have of getting it reduced. If they seem fairly certain it is worth the $500-$1000 to get it reduced if just only to get away from the Class 1 misdemeanor that you will have if convicted of reckless.

Seek legal advice.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

$1000 for going 20mph over? :what:

Their friggin' nuts! As much as I love VA and as pretty as the country is, I'm scratching it off the "places I would like to live" list. I am not going to live somewhere with those kind of draconian traffic laws.

LEO 229

imported post

Virginia is a wonderful place to be.

20 over will not get you $1000 in fines any more. They have repealed the bad driver fees they had passed last year. So reckless will probably get you a $200 fine. Loss of license for 30 days.

mpg9999

imported post

Here is some more information you may not know about the bill.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/Advice/VirginiasNewSpeedingTicket.aspx

"The sponsor of the law, David Albo, is a partner in one of Virginia's largest law firms; one of its specialties is traffic cases. "

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1856.asp

"Because HB 3202 was one provision of a larger, controversial transportation funding bill, it is difficult to identify supporters of the fee provision from that vote. On February 14, 2006, however, the House of Delegates recorded a clean vote on HB 527, a nearly identical ticket taxing plan. Only 18 delegates voted against the bill. Listed below are delegates who are on the record in direct support of the fees. The name of each delegate is linked to full contact information"

Chief sponsors of the legislation

Secondary sponsors (House Bill 1563 January 2005)

Voted in Favor of Fees (House Bill 527, February 14, 2006)

[/i]​

AndrewFlusche

I realize this is an old thread, but it asks important questions for future folks who may be in the situation.

One thing you have to understand is that reckless driving is a misdemeanor. There's no set fine. It could technically be anything up to $2,500.

The good news is that Caroline County is quite a reasonable court for reckless driving tickets. At 86 in a 65 mph zone, the charge could be reduced to a lesser offense or maybe even dismissed completely depending upon your prior driving record.

If you're convicted flat out of reckless driving, the fine in Caroline would probably be around $200 to $250.

If you want more info, I've been blogging about reckless driving in Virginia for like a decade: http://www.andrewflusche.com/blog/category/traffic-misdemeanors/reckless-driving/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Extreme necro post (8 years) to promote/advertise/spam your legal practice - really?

Last edited:

TFred

--moderator edited to remove deleted quote--
Clearly, your assumption was not fine, since, as you seem to acknowledge right here yourself, you were not aware of the other post.

The point here is, the moderators usually know what they are doing, and even if they don't, it's not your job to point it out publicly. If you wanted this to be private, then YOU should have sent a note to the moderator, rather than insulting him.

TFred

Last edited by a moderator: