• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ahh, the joys of carrying everyday.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

We all know the little things that turn into big problems while carrying, especially concealed (which, as many of you know, is the only way us Bama boys can carry). Well, not too long ago, I switched back to deeper concealment as it has started getting warmer. I've had my CTAC through the cold months, but haven't used it that much because I could get away with the SERPA. (That's right. The cold months here are over. It was 80 degrees today. God I love Alabama!)

In rural Alabama, there's dust EVERYWHERE. Chicken houses. Cotton fields. Peanut fields. ANY field really. Dirt roads. Log trucks that drive through town. Dump trucks full of dirt that drive through town. The list is really endless.

In the SERPA, I noticed something near miraculous, my gun didn't collect that much debris. Now that I've switched back to the CTAC, I notice that there are all sorts of little dust bunnies on it, especially around the muzzel.

This post really has no point other than to articulate my gripe about something that seems like such a minor problem but could lead to a failure at a critical moment.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
We all know the little things that turn into big problems while carrying, especially concealed (which, as many of you know, is the only way us Bama boys can carry). Well, not too long ago, I switched back to deeper concealment as it has started getting warmer. I've had my CTAC through the cold months, but haven't used it that much because I could get away with the SERPA. (That's right. The cold months here are over. It was 80 degrees today. God I love Alabama!)

In rural Alabama, there's dust EVERYWHERE. Chicken houses. Cotton fields. Peanut fields. ANY field really. Dirt roads. Log trucks that drive through town. Dump trucks full of dirt that drive through town. The list is really endless.

In the SERPA, I noticed something near miraculous, my gun didn't collect that much debris. Now that I've switched back to the CTAC, I notice that there are all sorts of little dust bunnies on it, especially around the muzzel.

This post really has no point other than to articulate my gripe about something that seems like such a minor problem but could lead to a failure at a critical moment.
Ah, a man after my heart. He loves the warm weather and the deep South. Bless you, son.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Ah, a man after my heart. He loves the warm weather and the deep South. Bless you, son.

The South is one of my few real PASSIONS. I just got into reenacting this year asa bugler. Been an SCV member for a few years. Had a 3xgreat grandfather killed at New Hope Church Georgia. He was one of the first to enlist in the 1st Alabama infantry, the first regiment in the CSA army, and fought from March 1861 to May 251864 when he was killed by Federal riflemen. I feel one of those realdeep blood bonds with this part of the land because the blood that runs through my viens was spilled defending it. Few people these days embrace their heritage like I do, and it gives me a certain transcendence when it comes to the South.

As the song goes:

"I'm a good ole rebel, now that's just what I am
I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a damn"

Deo Vindice
Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere

WhiteFeather

imported post

One of my Great, great Grandfathers fell at Sharpsburg he was a member of the 2ndCSA if my families stories are correct he was a Calvary officer.

I would love to return to NC but I don't think I could deal with some of the laws and legislators. Virginia seems a little better but I'm still looking at all of my options.

(I just want out of PA!)

SouthernBoy

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

The South is one of my few real PASSIONS. I just got into reenacting this year asa bugler. Been an SCV member for a few years. Had a 3xgreat grandfather killed at New Hope Church Georgia. He was one of the first to enlist in the 1st Alabama infantry, the first regiment in the CSA army, and fought from March 1861 to May 251864 when he was killed by Federal riflemen. I feel one of those realdeep blood bonds with this part of the land because the blood that runs through my viens was spilled defending it. Few people these days embrace their heritage like I do, and it gives me a certain transcendence when it comes to the South.

As the song goes:

"I'm a good ole rebel, now that's just what I am
I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a damn"

Deo Vindice
Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere
Good for you and may the Lord keep your ancestor's soul. I don't know of any history on my either of my parents' sides.. just that they were both native Virginians. My wife's dad's side was rooted in central Virginia close to the Wilderness and Chancellorsville since 1636! We know the name of the man who fought in the Revolutionary War and what one of the farm houses was used for during the Wilderness campaign. I have a biography of John Singleton Mosby (The Grey Ghost) written in 1944 in which I'm certain at least one of my wife's distant relatives wrote with Mosby. Also, I found some information some years ago that seems to indicate that another 1 to 3 of her family members rode with Mosby during the war.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

They say that nearly half of all modern Southerners have Confederate forebears.

"The South is a place. North, East, and West are only directions."

SouthernBoy

imported post

I love all of America.. I just love the South best. Others must, too. Enough of them come down for visits and vacation.

Oh, I dug up 4 names of relatives by marriage who appear to have riden with Mosby (one I am virtually certain of). Mosby is buried about 14 miles from my home and I have visited his grave site several times as well as driven by his home (which is also about 14 miles away).

savery

imported post

My little thing that turns into a problem when carrying is the shithole republik of maryland that i work in.