• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on the Walther P99

sjhipple

imported post

What's the trigger pull like? I've seen the SA fired and it seems to have a very long trigger pull, which I don't like. Do they fire as well and easily as, say, Glocks or XD's? Pluses/minuses?

Walther

imported post

To begin with I want to say I love mine. I bought it about a year ago to go to my first Front Sight training and I fell in love with it.

It is double action on the first pull if you de-cock it. That pull is long and somewhat heavy. In SA after the first round if you just reset the trigger for the next shot it is light and smooth. If you let off on the trigger the SA is long but light and it has a set position that you feel as you pull the trigger.

It is what I carry most of the time now.

I haven't had a malfunction yet (that I didn't cause on pupose for clearing practice) and have put well over 1000 rounds through it.

Walther

imported post

I don't know what a QA is, if SA means single action then the P99 is what you would call double/single action. Meaning if it is cocked it is in single action, it does have a de-cockerwhich puts it into a double action mode but after it is fired it is again in single action mode until you de-cock it. Therefore once it is in operation it is a single action gun. You have to manually decock it to put it into double action.

I hope this makes sense. Maybe someone more qualified can explain it better.

It is like a DA revolver, heavy trigger pull when in double action mode but if you cock the hammer it is a light trigger pull. But the revolver goes back into double action mode where the semi auto goes into single action mode after it is fired or cocked.

The reason for the de-cocker and heavy trigger pull in DA mode is the safety. The gun does not have a manual safety.

Walther

imported post

OK, I was editing my post while you were posting. After reading your link I would say mine is the P99AS. It does not say on the gun and I am at my office and the book is at home. If it is different I will let you know.

Walther

imported post

Same here on the holsters. I talked to someone at Blackhawk and they said the would find out if they had any plans to make a Serpa for the P99 and if so what their time frame was. I think if they get enough requests they will make one. I have not received an email from them as they promised, I may have to contact them again.

VAopencarry

imported post

The QA has a shorter and heavier pull than the AS. When the QA is decocked it disables the trigger until recocked. Recocking can be done with racking the slide about 3/8th's of an inch. Decocking is not necessary to safely carry the p99. The QA trigger pull is more Glock or XD like.

My take on the P99: They are good guns, dependable and accurate. A lot of people, myself included, like the ergonomics. Are they worth the extra money?, extra meaning more expensive then a XD or Glock. Thats a personal decision. A couple of 'cons', holster selection will not be too good for the p99. The mag release. I really like the mag release on the trigger guard, however, it is unlike most other striker fired guns. I like using the same platform for any carry gun. If you aren't going to carry it or carry it exclusively then no worries.jmo.

Be advised the price on the p99 has recently increased. Once the dealers current stock is gone the new prices will be 50-70 more.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Walther wrote:
Same here on the holsters. I talked to someone at Blackhawk and they said the would find out if they had any plans to make a Serpa for the P99 and if so what their time frame was. I think if they get enough requests they will make one. I have not received an email from them as they promised, I may have to contact them again.

Good luck. I've been back and forth with Blackhawk for over a year now asking about Serpa holsters for the P99/SW99 (I own and carry an SW99 .40). The last thing I've heard from them is they would have a Serpa for the P99 available in January of '08 on their website. :?

I ended up going with Safariland instead, and I'm very pleased.

As far as the trigger action goes, my SW99 is DA/SA, not the QA. I compared the two side-by-side, and decided I would be much more comfortable with the DA/SA. I like the fact that my striker hits everytime I pull the trigger no matter what. DAO type actions just don't do it for me (all though my Kel-Tec is just that).

proskk

imported post

Just ordered the Blackhawk Serpa holster for the Walther P99. They have 300 in stock at their warehouse which I believe is in Idaho. They told me to try one of their dealers but dealer did not have it in the system yet. Item number 410524BK-R (right hand).

Keith Proskura, NJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

proskk wrote:
Just ordered the Blackhawk Serpa holster for the Walther P99. They have 300 in stock at their warehouse which I believe is in Idaho. They told me to try one of their dealers but dealer did not have it in the system yet. Item number 410524BK-R (right hand).

Keith Proskura, NJ
I'm sorry.

Sitrep

imported post

Love mine, P99 QA .40 is great. I just shot it a few days back, trigger pull is shorter than the AS.

I like being able to decock and it's "totally" safe, just pull the slide a 1/4 inch and its recocked. It's just a nice option to have.

Only had 1 stovepipe out of several thousand rounds, and I'm certain I limpwristed it or something. I was one handed shooting at the time, shooting at "the broad side of a barn" i.e. a huge target in front of a mountain of a backstop (literaly a mountain).

I have a Galco shoulder holster for mine.

By the time you throw a couple thousand rounds thru a gun, the few dollars in initial gun cost are basically irrelevant.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another P99, if I ever wanted a second one.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I really want to test fire one. I have held them at gun shows and they fit my hand pretty well. We don't have ranges around here with rentals for that opportunity. I keep hoping I'll run into someone at the range with one who'll let me pop off a few rounds.

ooghost1oo

imported post

Apparently, this is a major resurrection. But ... if anyone still cares ...

I have a P99 and I love it. I've had it for some years, and I don't recall a single jam or malfunction. It's the standard package (don't remember how the QA's and all that goes), and I picked it up with two pre-ban (16 round) mags. I think I paid around $600 for it.

The ergonomics are great and recoil is nil. I've shot Glocks quite a bit, and I don't consider them superior at all. The only possible thing Glocks have over a P99 are the stock sites. The P99 sites are pretty good, but the opening in the back site is wide enough that the front site has a bit of horizontal play. The Glock's sites are tighter. But the P99 is much more comfortable, has cooler features (the single/double action and the de-cocker are GREAT), and looks a hell of a lot sexier.

Take down between the Walther and the Glock is the same.

If you haven't bought one yet, I'd recommend just getting the standard P99. It's very versatile, and if you were looking to get one of the specialties, you might regret it later. I remember back when I was researching and went out to buy it, I wanted the QA. Fortunately, I was pretty ignorant about gun mechanics and didn't realize I was sold a standard model.

It's a very accurate pistol. I just won an elimination competition last weekend.

One odd thing, though--I haven't seen any 16-round mags sold anywhere since I've been looking for another. Only 10's and 15's. Weird.