• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

quick! OC at voting?

b1ack5mith

imported post

so, the question... IS IT LEGAL... to openly carry at a federal event? i dont believe it is a federal building... however it is a federal voting booth... (3'x3' of afederal building ;)) lol

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
so, the question... IS IT LEGAL... to openly carry at a federal event? i dont believe it is a federal building... however it is a federal voting booth... (3'x3' of afederal building ;)) lol
So long as you are legal to carry at the particular location, you are legal to carry while voting. Don't carry into a school without a permit, and if you have one of the rare polling locations inside a church, double check to make sure the church has not banned guns.

I also note that with one notable exception (the actual casting of ballots by the electoral college), ALL elections in this nation are conducted by the State or local level. They are NOT federal events, nor under the control of the feds. There are certain federal provisions (constitutional and statutory) that place limits on what local and State governments can do as far as elections. But the elections are still under local/State control and authority, at least until congress expands itself into yet another area where it doesn't belong.:X

Charles

b1ack5mith

imported post

i was going to be carrying, but the school was across the street (within 1000' of a school) so i had to leave it in the car :/ a police officer saw my holster and didnt say anything though

swillden

imported post

Heh, I CC'd to vote. I've already got enough of a reputation as a weirdo with my local poll workers because I refuse to use the touchscreen systems. I figured I'd better only try to make one point at a time.

(BTW, my rationale for refusing to use the computers is because the system Utah bought is horribly, horribly insecure. It can be hacked a dozen ways from Sunday, most of them undetectable.)

joelevi

imported post

swillden wrote:
Heh, I CC'd to vote. I've already got enough of a reputation as a weirdo with my local poll workers because I refuse to use the touchscreen systems. I figured I'd better only try to make one point at a time.

(BTW, my rationale for refusing to use the computers is because the system Utah bought is horribly, horribly insecure. It can be hacked a dozen ways from Sunday, most of them undetectable.)
I know it's OT, but forgive me...

I agree with your assertion that our e-voting machines are insecure (and the Lt. Governor has refused to address my concerns with even a "thanks for your input" letter). What is the procedure for voting without using the Diebold touch-screen voting booths?

- www.JoeLevi.com

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Simple. Register as an absentee voter. I did. The ballot comes in the mail a few weeks before the election. You fill in the little bubbles next to your candidate and mail it back. Or you can do what I do. I hand deliver it to the county elections office while openly carrying! No waiting in line for a polling machine, not to mention you don't have to use the retarded thing.

swillden

imported post

joelevi wrote:
swillden wrote:

I know it's OT, but forgive me...

I agree with your assertion that our e-voting machines are insecure (and the Lt. Governor has refused to address my concerns with even a "thanks for your input" letter). What is the procedure for voting without using the Diebold touch-screen voting booths?
Just go to your polling place normally, but tell them that you want a paper ballot. Do this before you sign your name on their "who voted" register, since paper ballot voters aren't tracked there. I've done this three times now.

The first time, my neighbor who was working there tried to talk me into using the machine, but relented without too much difficulty. When I offered to give her some information about the problems, she told me "No, I think you just have to have faith in some things."

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The second time, the same neighbor got really annoyed and told me that she could not give me a paper ballot until after I spoke with the county election supervisor and he gave permission. She called him on her cellphone, talked with him for a minute, then gave me a paper ballot. I was disappointed I didn't get to talk to him.

The third time, when I walked up she said "You want a paper ballot, right". I nodded and she gave me one. No muss, no fuss.

swillden

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
swillden wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Simple. Register as an absentee voter.
If you do that, no one knows that you're upset with the voting machines.
So if you want to share your info, send me a PM or a link or whatever on the voting machine issues... I want to learn:lol:
Check out http://blackboxvoting.org

Everything you could want to know about it is there.

You should also check out the HBO special "Hacking Democracy". It's on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GzPXer7946E