Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @^*&$##* kids

Post imported post

It's been extra warm & sunny the past 2 days. Kids are out playing & otherwise being themselves. Me - I've got trash that needs to go to the communal dumpster and I'm not waiting till after the evening news to get rid of it.

Being as I'm old and banged up, and the dumpster is 300+ yards from me, I bag everything up & put it in the back of the truck for a quick ride. As I round the corner onto the public road, I see some child pointing a long-slide automatic across the street. He's not 5 yards in front of me! Deciding I cannot stop before I'm even with him., I decide to punch the accelerator and bust past where he's standing. I'm reaching for my side and looking at him as I floor it. He whips it back behind him and starts to ease away backwards towards the row of aparrtment townhouses he seemed to come from (opposite side of the U-shaped court from where I reside).

I check my 6 and reverse well past my starting point to get distance and some cover from the corner of the townhouses. Seeing him still standing around, with his hand behind him and being very shifty, I call 911 and report a possible youth with a gun. I informed 911 dispatch I was armed & gave a description of me & my vehicle, and kept a running description while waiting for the county PD units to arrive.

Just as the units pull up the kid spins in my direction with the pistol straight out and pointing towards me. (Units are arriving at 90* to all this - kid at one end of a line about 40 yards long, and me at the other end.) I'm starting to pull and reverse again when they pull in between me & the kid. They bail & do the crouch behind the door thing with guns drawn while yelling for the kid to drop the weapon.

It turned out to be a squirt gun with the orange end chopped off by the kid because he "wanted to make it look real."

Half of me wants to over to his apartment later tonight and move his backside to within an inch of his tonsils. Half of me wants to do that to his parent(s). And the third half of me wants to adjust the attitude of the kid and parent(s) simultaneously.

At least the first responding officer did come over to thank me, and to give me the basic details. He sounded as upset as I still am.

I might just take the comfy camp chair out on the front step and run a mop down the bore of the SxS just to see if there is any idea of "getting even" for calling the cops on this wonderful example of today's youth.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Sounds like he was clearly guilty of brandishing...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

Skidmark,

glad everything worked out ok for you as well as the idiot kid. I will admit that growing up i too removed the orange tips from my cap guns(those that even had them as this was at the start of the nanny state). the difference being i had sense(due to good parenting) enough not to point it at someone other than my friends who knew it was fake and we were playingsoldier at the time. you're right the parents need as much reeducatiing as the kid does if not more.

joe

Post imported post

Good job staying calm..........saved this idiots life. Here's hoping he does not breed.

State Researcher

Post imported post

This is why I have ALWAYS been against toy guns. Children shouldn't be taught that guns are toys. The non-realistic looking squirt guns are acceptable I suppose, but kids shouldn't be playing with realistic looking replicas.

Post imported post

So just what age was this kid? And was it harshly explained to him just how close he came to meeting the Reaper?

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    He whips it back behind him and starts to ease away backwards towards the row of aparrtment townhouses he seemed to come from
    That's all kinds of suck.

I read this several minutes ago, and was doing other things when it hit me - he's obviously got no exposure to firearms outside of hollywood, and is curious about them but probably also ashamed... He probably hid it to make it seem like nothing was going on, but of course that rouses concealment fears among adults - if he's hiding something he must have something to hide. He probably just didn't want to get yelled at.

Anyway, What hit me was this: Maybe the best thing to do would be, if possible, to take him/get him to a range. Don't know if it's at all possible, but would probably leave a better impression on him, and definitely an opportuniy to show him why what he did was bad and a better way to deal with it.

Yes, very dumb of him and he should know better or be taught better. I'm a big believer in teaching those who can learn.

Post imported post

stryth wrote:
    Anyway, What hit me was this: Maybe the best thing to do would be, if possible, to take him/get him to a range. Don't know if it's at all possible, but would probably leave a better impression on him, and definitely an opportuniy to show him why what he did was bad and a better way to deal with it.

Yes, very dumb of him and he should know better or be taught better. I'm a big believer in teaching those who can learn.
    +1

People who aren't familiar with firearms are the most dangerous.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I just hope the cops don't get some sort of savior complex and try to take the kid from the parents or put the kid in the juvenile "justice" system.

State Researcher

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    They just gotta outlaw kids and squirt guns!! :celebrate
    No, they need to teach parents that realistic looking toy guns are dangerous, as there are adults in this world who REALLY do not having a gun pointed at them. In this situation, the parents are at fault. I don't think anything should be "outlawed," but I do believe that responsible parents shouldn't be buying their kids toy guns that look real.

Banned

Post imported post

When I was 4-5 years old, these cops would drive by every afternoon. If I was wearing my twin Perl handled (plastic) six shooters, my long ranger hat and mask we would have a shoot out. I would drawl both and open up on them. They would shoot back with their " finger guns " and laugh.

Life sure has changed .

Post imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
    No, they need to teach parents that realistic looking toy guns are dangerous, as there are adults in this world who REALLY do not having a gun pointed at them. In this situation, the parents are at fault. I don't think anything should be "outlawed," but I do believe that responsible parents shouldn't be buying their kids toy guns that look real.
    +1

State Researcher

Post imported post

Of course not, I just used your post as a launchpad for my own contributions. I apologize if it seemed that way .

Post imported post

jack wrote:
    When I was 4-5 years old, these cops would drive by every afternoon. If I was wearing my twin Perl handled (plastic) six shooters, my long ranger hat and mask we would have a shoot out. I would drawl both and open up on them. They would shoot back with their " finger guns " and laugh.

Life sure has changed .
    I was thinking this as I read, even 20 years ago when I was a kid no one would have thought different.

But, now a day, I can't fault skidmark. It is a different world...

Post imported post

Another reason I don't like kiddies playing "airsoft" because it gets kids in the habbit that guns are toys that don't hurt anyone when you point and pull the trigger.

Airsoft guns in particular, because they're MADE to be replicas of real firearms with the exception of the orange tip (which most people remove anyways, even me, for a film I made with some friends and didn't want to use my real handguns for obvious reasons).
    They're restricted to 18+ to buy but parents get them for their kids anyhow.

Post imported post

I'm much calmer now. Also down a few more porters, but they can be replaced tomorrow.

First of all, the kid was in the indeterminant 12 - 14 - 16 year old range. Heck, at my age they are either babies, grade-school sized. middle/high school sized, young punk sized, or big enough to be holding down ajob and why aren't they at work doing that sized. The rest of the worldafter that is older than me, and I'm starting to feel like I need to be getting both respect and my discount without having to ask for either one.

All of you who focused in on the kid whipping the thing behind his back - you are right - that's what got my attention. Furtive movement is almost as loud a warning as an obvious movement. If he had not tried to hide it I would have had a longer look at it, the kid and the other kids he was with, and might have figured out all by myself it was a squirtgun. If I had, I probably would have gone about my business without another thought about it.

Given my actions, and now taking the time to think about it, I remain very surprized the kid did not high-tail it into the apartment and get rid of the darned thing. When the cops rolled up I think they saw what I was seeing - a kid with what looked like a gun stuck straight out shoulder high.

I'll give the kid credit - it was not turned "gangsta style".

I'm not sure I want to take this kid under my wing and teach him about guns. Think I'll wait and see if he or parent(s) try to talk with/to me about what happened. But I'm not holding my breath on that either.

At least I walk away knowing 2 very important things -

1 - some kid got a chance to grow up, and

2 - you do fight like you train.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

That kid was a little older than I thought. I was picturing a 4-6 year old.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

jack wrote:
    I was wearing my twin Perl handled (plastic) six shooters, my long ranger hat and mask we would have a shoot out. .
    Therein lies the difference. Plain and simple. The key is the appearance of fantasy verses a realistic gun that the kid wants to or does believe is real.

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

casullshooter wrote:
    Good job staying calm..........saved this idiots life. Here's hoping he does not breed.
    Do all you can to see this idgit does not breed.

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:

I'm not sure I want to take this kid under my wing and teach him about guns.
    I hear a secret cry to connect with this wayward child, perhaps he's like your inner child skidmark? BTW, is that tire skidmarks or underwear skidmarks :^)? Anyhow, don't pass up the chance to teach someone about guns. His parents may well be next in line. I would definately include a part where you show him how a watermelon blows apart with a hollow point. Just make sure he understands he doesn't want that to accidentally happen to someone he knows. Guns are serious business, fun business, but serious business nevertheless.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    skidmark wrote:

I'm not sure I want to take this kid under my wing and teach him about guns.
    I hear a secret cry to connect with this wayward child, perhaps he's like your inner child skidmark? BTW, is that tire skidmarks or underwear skidmarks :^)? Anyhow, don't pass up the chance to teach someone about guns. His parents may well be next in line. I would definately include a part where you show him how a watermelon blows apart with a hollow point. Just make sure he understands he doesn't want that to accidentally happen to someone he knows. Guns are serious business, fun business, but serious business nevertheless.
    The only "secret cry to connect with this wayward child" is to move his butt hole to within an inch of his tonsils, more or less.

My inner child learned a long time ago, without the drama, how not to try to get killed playing around with dangerous tools or dangerous people.

As for the name - got it years ago on the job when someone said thery could always tell where I had been because there were heel marks on the floor where someone had pulled up real short after I had asked another impertinent questiuon. (Used to investigate claims of violation of policy/procedure within a state government agency.) Which I guess is fair warning to all - I do not suffer stupidity well at all. Act like you are and I will do my darndest to allow you to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you in fact are.

stay safe.

skidmark

----Allahpundit

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    jack wrote:
    I was wearing my twin Perl handled (plastic) six shooters, my long ranger hat and mask we would have a shoot out. .
    Therein lies the difference. Plain and simple. The key is the appearance of fantasy verses a realistic gun that the kid wants to or does believe is real.

I had a Paladin gun set when I was a kid. We lived in rural N.C. so there was no chance of fooling any one with a Paladin set. Different time, in the late 1950s. Not like today.

I have corrected children with toy guns. I have said, "do not point that at me," and "you're supposed to point that in a safe direction." Then I get, "well it's a toy." Then I say something like, "practice doing this the right way, picking up your fake gun the correct way, and pointing it in a safe direction."

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

You gottawonder about the kid that stays there with the weapon even as the cops roll up and do the whole cover-behind-the-door-with-weapons-at-the-ready thing.

Is this one of those kids who even at that age has ice-water in his veins?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Hey, he was just an ignorant kid doing what kids do out playing. He just needs some instruction/education...give him a break.

And as for Hollywood, most stupid/ignorant ADULTS (i.e., the average American), let alone kids, get their "education" that way -- from TV and the movies.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast