• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Erie County LTCF

OnlineErie.com

imported post

:) This morning I decided to get my LTCF. I had my LTCF for a long time, BUT it had expired over 15 years ago. At that time I was a Pa. State Constable and did not need the LTCF to carry my Glock 19.

I printed off the application from this forum, filled it out and headed to the Erie County Courthouse.

I entered the Courthouse after clearing the efficient screening process at the front of the Courthouse.

When I arrived on the 4th floor and entered the Sheriff's office, I was quickly greeted by an efficient clerk. I told her I would like to get my LTCF and she said it would be $26. I promptly paid and entered Sgt. Amendola's office. Sandy has been in the Firearms Division since 1989 and took care of me quickly and efficiently.

Since I had been purged from the computer, due to not renewing for such a long time, he said we would have to start from scratch again. He took my picture and entered my info into the computer. He then made a phone call and moments later I had my NEW LTCF.

He handed it to me and said I'll see you in five years when you renew.

NOW that is service. I did not expect to leave with my NEW LTCF, but that is exactly what I did. All of this took ONLY 12 minutes.

What a pleasure it was...NO WAITING and I left the office with my new LTCF.

I thought I would let you all know how simple it was!

Dave Martin
Pa. DOC

========================================================

Just to clarify a point I did not make. ALL legal processes were used in the issuing of my LTCF. A background check was done while I waited. The SGT. made a call and gave my identifiers and shortly he received the answer that there were no "hits". At that point my LTCF was issued. Dave

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Sweet. Even in Alabama, quite possibly the easiest state to get licensed in (if your over 21 and white of course), takes a week. Congrats on the LTCF!

Spectre

imported post

dkd wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
Sweet. Even in Alabama, quite possibly the easiest state to get licensed in (if your over 21 and white of course), takes a week. Congrats on the LTCF!
okay?....and being white matters because......?
Because whether you want to admit it or not, race will always be a factor in all aspects of life untill humanity exists no more.

dkd

imported post

Spectre wrote:
dkd wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
Because whether you want to admit it or not, race will always be a factor in all aspects of life untill humanity exists no more.
so essentially what youre saying is that in AL you will be denied a LTCF for being a minority?

imperialism2024

imported post

dkd wrote:
Spectre wrote:
dkd wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
so essentially what youre saying is that in AL you will be denied a LTCF for being a minority?

Yup. Or it's more difficult than if one is white. I think that's exactly what both are saying. It's an unfortunate fact of life that discrimination exists, but it's still a fact.

PT111

imported post

If it only takes 12 minutes to get a permit then there is no need for a permit. Considering that most of the 12 minutes was probably clerical in filling out the forms etc. any information or background check that can be run that fast can be run if needed by a LEO in case he stops someone and has questions. PA should drop the permit requirement completely. Total waste of time and money on everyone's part.

OnlineErie.com

imported post

I had the form filled out when I arrived at the office. The background check took approx. 5 - 6 minuteson the phone.

The rest of the time was used to input the info into the computer, etc.

CERTAINLY not a waste of time!

Dave Martin

Pa. DOC

imperialism2024

imported post

PT111 wrote:
If it only takes 12 minutes to get a permit then there is no need for a permit. Considering that most of the 12 minutes was probably clerical in filling out the forms etc. any information or background check that can be run that fast can be run if needed by a LEO in case he stops someone and has questions. PA should drop the permit requirement completely. Total waste of time and money on everyone's part.
I've often argued that LTCFs are so easy to obtain throughout most of the state that they may as well do away with them entirely. Don't think King Edward would approve, though...

PT111

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
I've often argued that LTCFs are so easy to obtain throughout most of the state that they may as well do away with them entirely. Don't think King Edward would approve, though...
Exactly my point. If they can do a complete background check on someone in 5 minutes then they are keeping too much data on everyone readily available. Do away with the permits and let everyone carry. If there is a reason have the LEO call it in and look it up then.

imperialism2024

imported post

PT111 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Exactly my point. If they can do a complete background check on someone in 5 minutes then they are keeping too much data on everyone readily available. Do away with the permits and let everyone carry. If there is a reason have the LEO call it in and look it up then.
Feel like moving up to PA and running for governor? :D

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OnlineErie.com wrote:
:) This morning I decided to get my LTCF. I had my LTCF for a long time, BUT it had expired over 15 years ago. At that time I was a Pa. State Constable and did not need the LTCF to carry my Glock 19.

I printed off the application from this forum, filled it out and headed to the Erie County Courthouse.

I entered the Courthouse after clearing the efficient screening process at the front of the Courthouse.

When I arrived on the 4th floor and entered the Sheriff's office, I was quickly greeted by an efficient clerk. I told her I would like to get my LTCF and she said it would be $26. I promptly paid and entered Sgt. Amendola's office. Sandy has been in the Firearms Division since 1989 and took care of me quickly and efficiently.

Since I had been purged from the computer, due to not renewing for such a long time, he said we would have to start from scratch again. He took my picture and entered my info into the computer. He then made a phone call and moments later I had my NEW LTCF.

He handed it to me and said I'll see you in five years when you renew.

NOW that is service. I did not expect to leave with my NEW LTCF, but that is exactly what I did. All of this took ONLY 12 minutes.

What a pleasure it was...NO WAITING and I left the office with my new LTCF.

I thought I would let you all know how simple it was!

Dave Martin
Pa. DOC

========================================================

Just to clarify a point I did not make. ALL legal processes were used in the issuing of my LTCF. A background check was done while I waited. The SGT. made a call and gave my identifiers and shortly he received the answer that there were no "hits". At that point my LTCF was issued. Dave
I assume you declined to optionally disclose your SSN, correct?