• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn spotted Tues. in Warrenton

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm guessing you don't know what a 'unicorn' is. My definition is a non VCDL, non OCDO aware open carrier. But generally it's just used when you spot someone open carrying. I think this is a possible unicorn sighting, because we don't know for sure if this was a LEO or OCDOer.

Marco

imported post

Surprised more aren't spotted in the area since Clark Bros(outdoor range)is located near by.

Forty-five

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I'm guessing you don't know what a 'unicorn' is. My definition is a non VCDL, non OCDO aware open carrier. But generally it's just used when you spot someone open carrying. I think this is a possible unicorn sighting, because we don't know for sure if this was a LEO or OCDOer.
If you see an open carrier how do you know if they are non VCDL or non OCDO aware, in order to classify that person as a unicorn.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Forty-five wrote:
If you see an open carrier how do you know if they are non VCDL or non OCDO aware, in order to classify that person as a unicorn.
Generally, unicorn status is determined by approaching and striking up a conversation. I spotted a possible unicorn in the Woodbridge Best Buy and confirmed it by talking to him. He'd never heard of VCDL or Opencarry.Org

Tomahawk

imported post

Actually, I don't think it matters if the person is associated with VCDL or OCDO or anything, as long as there is no insignia or bumperstickers. Just the fact that you don't know him and he's in a place where you never expected it makes it a unicorn.

Conversation is not necessary.

But this is all informal, of course.