Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD OWNERS

State Researcher

Post imported post

I saw that on the 2008 models today, SA is offering a thumb safety on the XDs.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

Don't know if I like it. Adds an unnecessary step to engaging a target IMO. What do you guys think?

Post imported post

If that's just a standard external switch-type safety, then you ought to be able to leave it disengaged, so it wouldn't affect reaction time. I like it.

-ljp

Post imported post

I think it is a smart business move for them to make that an option for those who would prefer to have a thumb safety. If they put them on all of their pistols, however, I think it would be a mistake as many people like them the way they are.

Personnally, I would prefer itWITH the thumb safety and XD45 just moved up on my list.

Post imported post

Actually I like it. The passive safetys are OK but sometimes I wish my XD's had a positive safety.

Post imported post

Wish my XD's had those.

Post imported post

As long as it's optional, I don't mind... but I'm not interested ina manual safety on my carry gun.

Post imported post

Ahh, following in the steps of the S&W M&P :P At least on the M&P, the ambidextrous manual safety is there if you want it but you don't have to have it on or not -- the other safeties will take care of you regardless. It's an option, just as ordering yours with the magazine safety or the internal lock would be. All up to your preference.

I will say that the one they're showing on the XD's page is stupidly shaped almost exactly like the slide release and right next to it. Very bad idea in a high stress situation unless you really are simply using it as a safety switch and turn it off *before* the shooting starts... But most people will use it as a thumb operated safety. Glock's coming out with some sort of manual safety as well which also has a really bad location/shape right between the similiarly shaped and textured magazine and slide release. And it appears you could way too easily push it too far out the other side of the pistol and it's on safe again. :? - Schofield
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

It could be in response (at least partly) to the contract specs for the US Air Force next generation handgun. The specs were very detailed and complex, so I won't go into all the details, even if I could remember them all. They want a .45ACP, but no pistol currently in production that I know of met all the requirementsbecause they heavily emphasized ambidextrous controls. The M&P seemed to be closest (since it already has ambi slide release and optional ambi safety), but still would need some mods. The way I read the RFP, Springfield didn't have to add a manual safety to the XD given the various other safety features, but they might have decided it would make their entry more attractive if they did.

The picture of the brown Glock with the manual trigger lock (above) might also be a response to the sameRFP. Just a theory....

And even though the Glock was already ugly in black, it's even uglier in puppy-$#!t brown
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I personally prefer the passive safeties on the XD. I suppose that's just a preference, but it keeps me on my toes with the 4 rules. There is no false sense of security because of a thumb safety being engaged. I can only speak for myself though, so it's really just a matter of opinion and preference.

One thing that mightl hurt their market for repeat customers I think would be the fact that all custom molded holsters (particularly the Kydex ones) will not be properly slotted for the new safety. Current production holsters will either:
    1) cause unecessary wear on the safety, removing the finish
    2) engage/disengage the safety when holstering

Obviously this isn't true of all holsters. What comes to mind is the IWB models (particularly the CTAC) that covers the entire left side of the frame and slide to keep it from contacting the skin. With a hard bodied holster, one of the two problems above could occur. This is something I would think about before I bought another one. Will it fit my current holsters? Or will I have to go out and buy new ones for what is a nearly identitcal gun. The website also doesn't say whether this is an option, or a complete design change for the new models. Just a thought.

Post imported post

A cocked and locked XD? I would love it.

Tarzan

Post imported post

Yeah, I'm not excited about it. I like my XD45 the way it is now. It appeared from a quick perusal of their website the other day that this is only on the .45. If that is the case, since I am not planning on buying another XD in that caliber, it is really a non-issue for me. If they put it on other calibers I may have to pursue other options for future purchases.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

One of the reasons I dislike (strongly) striker fired pistols is no positive manual safety.

I'd have to take another look at an XD in the future - after I get my other pistols on the wish list first...

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    A cocked and locked XD? I would love it.

Tarzan
    I have never needed a manual safety on my XD45 to keep it cocked and locked. I just keep my fingers out of the make a hole in something area and it's all good.

Post imported post

The manual safety is only offered on the XD-45. I don't really see a market for it, Springfield is going nuts with the 45 but not offering anything different for the other calibers. The 45 is also being offered in OD and dark earth frame with stainless slide.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I'm unclear of something from the webpage: will this be an optional feature on 2008 XD's or will it be a feature of the entire line? Does anybody have more info on the product line changes?

A_Deuce

Post imported post

A_Deuce wrote:
    I'm unclear of something from the webpage: will this be an optional feature on 2008 XD's or will it be a feature of the entire line? Does anybody have more info on the product line changes?

A_Deuce
    Currently it's an option, it's a different part number than the normal XD45 Service. You can also get black mags, currently they are stainless. Also there is an option to get orange colored magazine bases. Other than that I didn't see any changes for the XD.

If there are any EMP fans, they are now offering that in 40SW

I honestly don't care about the new safety on the XD. I've had mine for a year without one and I've done just fine. Actually, I treat the XD with a greater respect since there are no manual safety. I like how I don't have to worry about flipping the safety, just pick it up, point and shoot. On the other hand, it's not hard to learn/train to flip the safety off when drawing a pistol either.

Post imported post

Schofield wrote:
    Glock's coming out with some sort of manual safety as well which also has a really bad location/shape right between the similiarly shaped and textured magazine and slide release. And it appears you could way too easily push it too far out the other side of the pistol and it's on safe again.
    actually, it's a slide lock, but that's beside the point.

Is that pic you posted a Glock that's ambidextrious(sp)? If so, it's a Europe only thing. AFAIK, Glock has no plans to introduce a model in the US for wrong handed shooters.

Post imported post

It says it's a "trigger lock" which means it's a manual safety you activate... And it does appear to be ambidextrous in that you can push it in from both sides at the same time... But what happens if you push it to far? If you don't get it mixed up in with the magazine release in the dark with adrenaline pumping anyway. Also, the image is in English and appears to be from http://www.glock.com so I'm not sure it's going to be a Europe-only proposition.

Post imported post

I use to have a have 2 Glocks but traded in for a Kimber due to the lack of Safety, such as thumb safety. Now the XD seems very interesting to me and i am actually thinking of buyin 1 finally.

TJ

Post imported post

This is supposed to be an option on the .45 ACP (any color/finish) in 4" (standard) and 5" (tactical) barrels. No Compacts or Subs, and no other caliber ... for now.

I read somewhere that this is supposed to open them for the LEO market, not military.

Already started hiding some money from the Gentle Bride for one.

Post imported post

This would have been a perk for me considering trading my 4" 45 in for a compact .45 (3 rounds for a smller package is a fair trade). After hearing it's only on the 4", no thanks but I do like it.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:I have never needed a manual safety on my XD45 to keep it cocked and locked. I just keep my fingers out of the make a hole in something area and it's all good.[/quote]

Not as funny as "pull for explosion". Also, this joke's already been used. :?

That being said.... I don't really know if I like it. I got tired of trying to navigate that Flash-mess of a website, and quit.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I was a big manual safety fan back in the day. one of the reasons I loved my USP 45 so much...

Then came the XD, my wife bought one and I couldn't stand it... until I shot it. I bought one within 2 weeks and it's been my carry gun every since.

Unlike the gLock, a XD has the backstrap safety. That makes me 100% comfortable carrying it vs a gLock or similar weapon.

I don't want a XD with a safety. No need. I do like the fact they are offering it because several LEOs I know want to carry one but can't because of dept rules on pistols w/o safeties.

You bet your butt they won't be using the safeties either. :celebrate

State Researcher

Post imported post

I've never heard of department rules about safeties. In fact, it seems that overwhelmingly, the Glocks are the leading pistol in Law Enforcement in the country...sans manual safety.

Post imported post

A lot of LE dept's require a 'double action' pistol or a safety. The Glocks are DA, The XD's internal are different and are in fact 'single action' as the striker is fully cocked. To the end user it's all pretty much the same but dept's won't approve a single action gun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast