• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD OWNERS

Legba

imported post

If that's just a standard external switch-type safety, then you ought to be able to leave it disengaged, so it wouldn't affect reaction time. I like it.

-ljp

ralphb72

imported post

I think it is a smart business move for them to make that an option for those who would prefer to have a thumb safety. If they put them on all of their pistols, however, I think it would be a mistake as many people like them the way they are.

Personnally, I would prefer itWITH the thumb safety and XD45 just moved up on my list.

Schofield

imported post

Ahh, following in the steps of the S&W M&P :p At least on the M&P, the ambidextrous manual safety is there if you want it but you don't have to have it on or not -- the other safeties will take care of you regardless. It's an option, just as ordering yours with the magazine safety or the internal lock would be. All up to your preference.

I will say that the one they're showing on the XD's page is stupidly shaped almost exactly like the slide release and right next to it. Very bad idea in a high stress situation unless you really are simply using it as a safety switch and turn it off *before* the shooting starts... But most people will use it as a thumb operated safety. Glock's coming out with some sort of manual safety as well which also has a really bad location/shape right between the similiarly shaped and textured magazine and slide release. And it appears you could way too easily push it too far out the other side of the pistol and it's on safe again. :? - Schofield

Attachments

• GlockSafety.jpg
    GlockSafety.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 905

Eeyore

imported post

It could be in response (at least partly) to the contract specs for the US Air Force next generation handgun. The specs were very detailed and complex, so I won't go into all the details, even if I could remember them all. They want a .45ACP, but no pistol currently in production that I know of met all the requirementsbecause they heavily emphasized ambidextrous controls. The M&P seemed to be closest (since it already has ambi slide release and optional ambi safety), but still would need some mods. The way I read the RFP, Springfield didn't have to add a manual safety to the XD given the various other safety features, but they might have decided it would make their entry more attractive if they did.

The picture of the brown Glock with the manual trigger lock (above) might also be a response to the sameRFP. Just a theory....

And even though the Glock was already ugly in black, it's even uglier in puppy-$#!t brown ;)

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I personally prefer the passive safeties on the XD. I suppose that's just a preference, but it keeps me on my toes with the 4 rules. There is no false sense of security because of a thumb safety being engaged. I can only speak for myself though, so it's really just a matter of opinion and preference.

One thing that mightl hurt their market for repeat customers I think would be the fact that all custom molded holsters (particularly the Kydex ones) will not be properly slotted for the new safety. Current production holsters will either:
1) cause unecessary wear on the safety, removing the finish
2) engage/disengage the safety when holstering

Obviously this isn't true of all holsters. What comes to mind is the IWB models (particularly the CTAC) that covers the entire left side of the frame and slide to keep it from contacting the skin. With a hard bodied holster, one of the two problems above could occur. This is something I would think about before I bought another one. Will it fit my current holsters? Or will I have to go out and buy new ones for what is a nearly identitcal gun. The website also doesn't say whether this is an option, or a complete design change for the new models. Just a thought.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, I'm not excited about it. I like my XD45 the way it is now. It appeared from a quick perusal of their website the other day that this is only on the .45. If that is the case, since I am not planning on buying another XD in that caliber, it is really a non-issue for me. If they put it on other calibers I may have to pursue other options for future purchases.

Sage of Seattle

imported post

One of the reasons I dislike (strongly) striker fired pistols is no positive manual safety.

I'd have to take another look at an XD in the future - after I get my other pistols on the wish list first...

FogRider

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
A cocked and locked XD? I would love it.

Tarzan
I have never needed a manual safety on my XD45 to keep it cocked and locked. I just keep my fingers out of the make a hole in something area and it's all good.

VAopencarry

imported post

The manual safety is only offered on the XD-45. I don't really see a market for it, Springfield is going nuts with the 45 but not offering anything different for the other calibers. The 45 is also being offered in OD and dark earth frame with stainless slide.

A_Deuce

imported post

I'm unclear of something from the webpage: will this be an optional feature on 2008 XD's or will it be a feature of the entire line? Does anybody have more info on the product line changes?

A_Deuce

eyesopened

imported post

A_Deuce wrote:
I'm unclear of something from the webpage: will this be an optional feature on 2008 XD's or will it be a feature of the entire line? Does anybody have more info on the product line changes?

A_Deuce

Currently it's an option, it's a different part number than the normal XD45 Service. You can also get black mags, currently they are stainless. Also there is an option to get orange colored magazine bases. Other than that I didn't see any changes for the XD.

If there are any EMP fans, they are now offering that in 40SW

I honestly don't care about the new safety on the XD. I've had mine for a year without one and I've done just fine. Actually, I treat the XD with a greater respect since there are no manual safety. I like how I don't have to worry about flipping the safety, just pick it up, point and shoot. On the other hand, it's not hard to learn/train to flip the safety off when drawing a pistol either.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Schofield wrote:
Glock's coming out with some sort of manual safety as well which also has a really bad location/shape right between the similiarly shaped and textured magazine and slide release. And it appears you could way too easily push it too far out the other side of the pistol and it's on safe again.

actually, it's a slide lock, but that's beside the point.

Is that pic you posted a Glock that's ambidextrious(sp)? If so, it's a Europe only thing. AFAIK, Glock has no plans to introduce a model in the US for wrong handed shooters.

Schofield

imported post

It says it's a "trigger lock" which means it's a manual safety you activate... And it does appear to be ambidextrous in that you can push it in from both sides at the same time... But what happens if you push it to far? If you don't get it mixed up in with the magazine release in the dark with adrenaline pumping anyway. Also, the image is in English and appears to be from http://www.glock.com so I'm not sure it's going to be a Europe-only proposition.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I use to have a have 2 Glocks but traded in for a Kimber due to the lack of Safety, such as thumb safety. Now the XD seems very interesting to me and i am actually thinking of buyin 1 finally.

TJ

shamalama

imported post

This is supposed to be an option on the .45 ACP (any color/finish) in 4" (standard) and 5" (tactical) barrels. No Compacts or Subs, and no other caliber ... for now.

I read somewhere that this is supposed to open them for the LEO market, not military.

Already started hiding some money from the Gentle Bride for one.